No announcement yet.

Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the muscles always looking larger after a workout because they are inflamed and swollen etc.

Women also have the problem that fat on the upper arm is one of the last places to disappear when losing weight and first to come back.

Comment

Back to the original question.

I know that when I'm in an inflammatory condition (ie an auto-immune flare) that I will not lose weight even when severely calorie restricted and even when on a perfect paleo diet. So in order to lose it I have to make sure I don't exercise too much. Each karate session raises my weight by about 500gr and even more if I overdo it. It makes losing weight very slow.

Overweight people are by definition in an inflammatory condition (have to be, my doc says, you need inflammation to put weight on around your gut). And by doing a lot of exercise they will be stressing their body further, raising cortisol levels and weight is difficult to lose with high cortisol.

So while exercise is great for all sorts of things, it isn't great for weight loss.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieNana View Post

I know that when I'm in an inflammatory condition (ie an auto-immune flare) that I will not lose weight even when severely calorie restricted and even when on a perfect paleo diet. So in order to lose it I have to make sure I don't exercise too much. Each karate session raises my weight by about 500gr and even more if I overdo it. It makes losing weight very slow.

Overweight people are by definition in an inflammatory condition (have to be, my doc says, you need inflammation to put weight on around your gut). And by doing a lot of exercise they will be stressing their body further, raising cortisol levels and weight is difficult to lose with high cortisol.

So while exercise is great for all sorts of things, it isn't great for weight loss.
        I must concur. i rarely exercise anymore and nothing chronic. for instance last week i rode my mountain bike 12 miles and the next day gained 4 pounds. thank god it came off the day after but i had to IF
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

And yet for me, being sedentary is a sure-fire way to start gaining. Activity level really makes a big difference for me in terms of fat loss.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
            And yet for me, being sedentary is a sure-fire way to start gaining. Activity level really makes a big difference for me in terms of fat loss.
            Same here. If I don't exercise for a few days I lose water weight due the absence of functional inflammation to repair damage to muscles etc. This outweighs any gain in glycogen stores.

However, the net outcome of increased activity over time is always increased fat loss.
            Last edited by paleo-bunny; 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieNana View Post

Very interesting. I lost significant weight on a backpack trip this summer. Two weeks off work, 5 of them spent backpacking, so not all of my vacation was exercise. But anyway, the next two weeks after I wanted to try to keep the weight off so I rode my bike to work. One day I could tell I really was overdoing it, that I should have taken a day off. Nevertheless, I kept it up for two weeks, riding 3-4 days per week on top of my normal stuff. Phooey. My vacation weight came back.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I gain when i exert. huge overnight gains

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                  Me too - muscle and water.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

duplicate post

Comment

Well, obviously you and I are very different in terms of response to many things, one of which is exercise.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I must concur. i rarely exercise anymore and nothing chronic. for instance last week i rode my mountain bike 12 miles and the next day gained 4 pounds. thank god it came off the day after but i had to IF
                        I don't question you gained four lbs. But do you honestly think it was fat?

Let's not confuse fat with other body fluids and tissue.

Exercise does more by signalling the body what to store, than actually burning calories. Medium intensity exercise tells the body to store fat... because it burns fat.

That is where CW got it wrong. Jogging was encouraged because it burns fat, not carbs. What they got wrong is the by burning fat it signalled the body to reduce muscle mass and store fat so that there will be fat to burn and less mass to burn the fat.

There is no simple answer. You must exercise correctly and eat correctly to lose fat.

The bottom line is... diet is important from a calorie control and signalling point of view. Exercise is important from a signal point of view rather than burning calories

Comment

Body by Science made a lot of sense to me. It helps that the writers believe in Paleo.
                          Height: 6'1"
                          Primal start date: July 1st 2011
                          Start Weight: 275
                          Current Weight: 248
                          Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
                          Body Fat 25.4%
                          Fat Mass 63.721
                          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                          Fat Free Mass 187.087
                          Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
                          Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
                            I don't question you gained four lbs. But do you honestly think it was fat?

Let's not confuse fat with other body fluids and tissue.

Exercise does more by signalling the body what to store, than actually burning calories. Medium intensity exercise tells the body to store fat... because it burns fat.

That is where CW got it wrong. Jogging was encouraged because it burns fat, not carbs. What they got wrong is the by burning fat it signalled the body to reduce muscle mass and store fat so that there will be fat to burn and less mass to burn the fat.

There is no simple answer. You must exercise correctly and eat correctly to lose fat.

The bottom line is... diet is important from a calorie control and signalling point of view. Exercise is important from a signal point of view rather than burning calories
                            I know it was water, however

storing excess water is called inflammation.
                            chronic inflammation alters metabolic function negatively ( esp insulin response)
                            Unchecked inflammation WILL cause increases in Adipose tissue activity and production.

for the skinny, who cares they probably have local inflammation that will subside in hours and so what

me, my body is so freakin used to inflammation that it just jumps at the chance to blow up

I can gain 30 pounds without changing one tape stat..... I can and have peed out 12 pounds in a hour after taking a cold bath.

I stay as far away from inflammation as possible these days... for me optimizing metabolic function is priority one. I never allow a single pound upward go unquestioned... more than 3 pounds and I take the only action i know how to take, IF.

0-3 pounds may be a blip, 3+ pounds required corrective action period stop whatever I was doing pronto

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Well, obviously you and I are very different in terms of response to many things, one of which is exercise.
                              my broken is different from your broken. :-)

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

my broken is different from your broken. :-)
                                My metabolism is fortunately quite unbroken. It's my gi tract and lungs that are the main issue. The celiac thing is nicely addressed by paleo, and for me, regular exercise is a critical part of asthma management as well as helping me maintain weight.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X