Working Out With Broken Arm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Out With Broken Arm?

I was planning to start up Mark's primal fitness routine this week, after healing from surgery, but then I fell and broke a bone in my elbow over the weekend. It's just a hairline fracture, no cast or anything, but I have been told to avoid lifting things or falling on it again until it heals. Any thoughts on how to kick off the program and stay motivated when I can't do pushups, pullups, planks or sprints for the next several weeks?

Great question and it's right up my alley.

I had a stress fracture earlier this year (which I documented on this forum, search for it). No cast, but I did have to take it easy. I stopped lifting, stopped playing basketball, and eventually it healed. My fracture was in the shin, I think they call this the fibula, or the femur, I don't know.

Do what doesn't hurt you. I don't think something like simple bodyweight squats will hurt you, maybe some lunges, whatever you gotta do.

The only thing you can't do is, I think obviously, pull-ups and push-ups.

Bottom line is, work around it.

Comment

Maybe you can get one of those leather helmets with the hanging chain, and you can lift weight plates with your head.

Get creative.

Comment

Like Dado said - spend the time getting really good at squats and lunges. You could also play around with some single arm stuff too.
        Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
        Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
        The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
        Brute Force Sandbags
        www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
        http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

some great suggestions, thanks Dado and Coach. I appreciate your replies - it helps keep me motivated to know there are others out there to help and have worked thru these issues as well.

Comment

Originally posted by coppertiara View Post
            some great suggestions, thanks Dado and Coach. I appreciate your replies - it helps keep me motivated to know there are others out there to help and have worked thru these issues as well.
            I've come out the other side of my only 2 injuries in much better shape than I started. A dislocated patella tendon in 1996 "enabled" me to get really good at pull ups and push ups. And the rehab following a torn rotator cuff really sorted out my overly-tight shoulders.

Injuries can really suck but it's largely an attitude thing.
            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
            Brute Force Sandbags
            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I had a stress fracture earlier this year

Comment

Working...
              X