Looking for program to add bulk/mass quickly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for program to add bulk/mass quickly

Hello- I've been Primal/Paleo since January 2012. This question is for my hubby. My husband eats what I make but still eats cereal and bread (sprouted but still grains- arghh!!). I've lost weight (almost 30 lbs!! and still going) and am dedicated to an intensive workout program 2X/Week with serious results (Mark's right!!).
    My hubby's a classic sugar burner who turns into a monster when he doesn't eat every 2-3 hours. He stares at me in disbelief when I'm not hungry at breakfast (or at dinner some nights)...

He's a very lean and wiry and needs to put on about 15 to 20 lbs for work. He eats so much already I almost don't think its possible. He can run fast and do pull ups even when he hasn't worked out for months, but has bad knees.

Would sending him to the crossfit gym 3x a week help him? Does anyone have a fitness and nutrition program to quickly add mass eating this way?

Put him on starting strength or scrawny to brawny or something similar and feed him until he can't take anymore. Then feed him some more. Adding muscle is a bitch, especially for naturally skinny guys. 15 to 20lbs for an ectomorph will take years.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as your husband, except I struggle with pullups.

Maybe investigate the calorie count of the recommended primal foods? Opt for the ones that are more calorie dense and focus on those when it comes to meal preparation; especially if your husband likes them. Most people on this forum would probably say eat more bacon!

Looking forward to see what the others recommend.

Comment

He needs to do High Intensity Resistance Training for bulk and strength, sets to failure, to achieve muscle growth he has to try to lift to reach failure at around 8-12 reps, the higher on that scale the better, if lift is over 12 he will need to up the weight. He can either read this free book from here musclehack.com or, do the big 5 workout from here http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ (the book is a good read.) body by science suggests one set to failure per exercise, I suggest 3 sets and lowering the weight each set to make sure you hit the muscle properly a lot of people do not do this properly as it is so intensive hiting it 3 sets makes sure you get the results and quickly!

In regards to bulking he should stay paleo but as he still eats carbs this book will be excelent for him, its a bit expensive but scientifically backed: Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control this book is written by the guy from this website, has a forum etc: Dangerously Hardcore -Dangerously Hardcore

Written in haste as Ive gotta run but ill be happy to answer questions!
        Ecommerce and Webdesign Agency
        www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Primal" to tin@nowaydesign.com and get a Discount.

Comment

Double Post
          www.nowaydesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by gorski View Post
            He needs to do High Intensity Resistance Training for bulk and strength, sets to failure, to achieve muscle growth he has to try to lift to reach failure at around 8-12 reps, the higher on that scale the better, if lift is over 12 he will need to up the weight. He can either read this free book from here musclehack.com or, do the big 5 workout from here http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ (the book is a good read.) body by science suggests one set to failure per exercise, I suggest 3 sets and lowering the weight each set to make sure you hit the muscle properly a lot of people do not do this properly as it is so intensive hiting it 3 sets makes sure you get the results and quickly!

In regards to bulking he should stay paleo but as he still eats carbs this book will be excelent for him, its a bit expensive but scientifically backed: Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control this book is written by the guy from this website, has a forum etc: Dangerously Hardcore -Dangerously Hardcore

Carb Back loading says avoid food for first 2 hours after waking, except for fat, eat paleo 0 carb or as low as possible until after workout (round 5pm), then hit it up with high GI foods after workout includes pizza, break, rice (no complex carbs, you have to create an insulin spike to get absorbed by your muscles, so you dont want carbs lingering in the body for more than necesarry or theyll get sotored by fat) book explains everything with lots of references!
            www.nowaydesign.com

Comment

If he's got bad knees, Crossfit might not be a good idea. Starting Strength would be a better choice.
              "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

Yes Crossfit and bad knees is a bad combo!! He needs to do very controlled resistance training whereby there is no jerking or momentum etc. Super Slow or Body By Science are two such protocols. They are geared towards not getting injured and avoiding chronic overuse damage as the workouts are brief and infrequent allowing adequate time for full recovery and muscular growth. To be sure, these workouts are brutal but they are very short in duration.

Ectomorphs have a very hard time adding much in the way of muscle. Some simply can't add any at all no matter what they do but most people can add some. 20 lbs may well be an unrealistic goal for someone with such a body type but you'll never know until you try.

Comment

Boise Experiment: Ultimate Body Transformation

Amazing results for these guys. I did this workout last year and gained tons of strength while losing weight. That is not easy to do. Body By Science is also a very good read and I am currently doing the big 5 with a low back exercise thrown in.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. So from a quick read I gather:

The Big 5 are - squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and chin-ups? 1 set 8-12 reps to failure (or 3 sets?)

He needs to eat tons (primal/paleo and high fat) and preferably higher carb (Gorski- pizza what??)post work out?

How many times to lift a week? Any cardio at all?

Thanks again-

Comment

Originally posted by gorski View Post

If all he cares about is putting on superficial muscle, this might work...but this is pretty much just another example of the crap they put out in the "Muscle and Fiction" mags. Starting Strength or Stronglifts, HARD work, and consistency are the real keys to muscle gain.
                      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Mama_Jane View Post
                        Thank you for the replies. So from a quick read I gather:

The Big 5 are - squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and chin-ups? 1 set 8-12 reps to failure (or 3 sets?)

He needs to eat tons (primal/paleo and high fat) and preferably higher carb (Gorski- pizza what??)post work out?

How many times to lift a week? Any cardio at all?

Thanks again-
                        Training to failure doesn't always work unless you have the minerals to go to true failure each time...which is extremely uncomfortable to say the least. They often call these death sets. It would be better to do the Big 5 for 5 sets of 5 reps with the heaviest weight possible, coming close to failure by the end of the set. Look at Starting Strength.

Cardio-wise, as is the standard recommendation here, sprinting is the best option. It actually stimulates growth hormone production.
                        Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

I would keep the routine as basic as possible, and just use a few compound movements, with progression in terms of weight used as the primary goal. You will hear people argue until the cows come home about ideal rep number and number of sets etc.

The bottom line is that as long as he doesn't overtrain, which he won't if he can add weight to the bar each week, then he will gain weight and muscle on many different programs. But simple is always best. 3-5 exercises for reps betwen 5 and 12 (his choice) done for 3-5 sets 2 or 3 times a week.

BUT, it all comes down to eating enough if he is a real hardgainer which it sounds like he is. Best advice is for him to eat as much as he possibly can, with high carbs, including junk food, after training. And add in some blended drinks of full fat milk with added mik powder, bananas, eggs and anything else he can force down.

And keep at it for a year!
                          The blog: Lean Ape

100 Steps To YOUR perfect Body

Comment

Three words- squats and milk.

Old-school mass gain program that will make you strong and stands the test of time.

20 rep squats, 3x/wk
                            Add a couple (two) of assistance lifts, ideally a press and a pull each workout.
                            GOMAD

Stop running.

Get 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

He will get big.

Or die. They don't call them widowmakers for nothing. He should be sure to do these in a power cage, as he will go down in the hole at some point and not be able to come back up.

Good primer here:
                            Bodybuilding.com - 20-Rep Squats: The Brutal Path To Massive Gains!

I don't know if there is a better way to gain mass without use of anabolic drugs...

Comment

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
                              Training to failure doesn't always work unless you have the minerals to go to true failure each time...which is extremely uncomfortable to say the least. They often call these death sets. It would be better to do the Big 5 for 5 sets of 5 reps with the heaviest weight possible, coming close to failure by the end of the set. Look at Starting Strength.

Cardio-wise, as is the standard recommendation here, sprinting is the best option. It actually stimulates growth hormone production.
                              +1. The only thing I would comment on is if your husband is looking for size vs strength I would suggest a weight the he can move 8-10 times max per set X 3 - 4 sets. If strength is the goal heavy heavy weight low reps and long rests between sets. Stay away from crossfit. It tends to be more circuit based which isn't the best protocol for either maximum strength or size gains

Comment

Working...
                              X