Foam Rolling for Injury Prevention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Rolling for Injury Prevention

I've had a couple requests for a foam rolling routine, so here it is!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Nice! Love that stuff.

Comment

Thanks, that's very useful. I got a roller recently - it works wonders! Can't believe it took me this long, given all the knots, etc I've suffered through in the past!

Comment

link seems broken on my end..

Comment

Great stuff Josh.... Thanks
          I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
          My Journal

Comment

The link is broken on my side too...let's see if this works!

Foam Rolling Routine for Injury Prevention
            Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              Nice! Love that stuff.
              I have a love-hate relationship with my foam roller. I love how I feel when I'm done...but people ask me if I'm okay because of the faces I make while I'm rolling!

Originally posted by zilog View Post
              Thanks, that's very useful. I got a roller recently - it works wonders! Can't believe it took me this long, given all the knots, etc I've suffered through in the past!
              I'm glad it was useful! Trust me, I never heard of foam rolling before college. I was a sprinter in high school and a firefighter in the Air Force...my calves are shot and will still take years to work all the knots out!

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
              Great stuff Josh.... Thanks
              Thank you, good sir!
              Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

I don't use mine as much as I should, so thanks for the encouragement and the routine.

Re: the faces made when foam rolling.

I was at the gym and had brought my kids along. We were just about done, rolling things out a bit and my son walked by. My coach said not to let them see my pain face, cause it freaks them out. I had to look away.
                My PB Journal
                Started June 2010

Comment

Originally posted by ReadyToGrok View Post
                  I don't use mine as much as I should, so thanks for the encouragement and the routine.

Re: the faces made when foam rolling.

I was at the gym and had brought my kids along. We were just about done, rolling things out a bit and my son walked by. My coach said not to let them see my pain face, cause it freaks them out. I had to look away.
                  No problem! I've had kids walk by me and laugh, saying "Look at the funny faces!" I guess it's better than scaring them...
                  Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Awesome! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreenwood View Post
                      Awesome! Thanks.
                      No problem! I'm glad you guys like it!
                      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

First, I have that same love hate relationship with my roller.

Second, you must be wrecked if the Rumble Roller causes you pain. I tried one out at a Tough Mudder and felt next to nothing, it needs a solid core.
                        I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                          First, I have that same love hate relationship with my roller.

Second, you must be wrecked if the Rumble Roller causes you pain. I tried one out at a Tough Mudder and felt next to nothing, it needs a solid core.
                          Really? Are you sure it was the actual Rumble Roller you tried? Mine is just as firm as a closed-cell roller and does have a solid core. I've used smooth rollers before and they weren't as aggressive as the Rumble. It's also the only thing that gets deep enough to get my soleus, where I have 3 really stubborn adhesions. I am pretty wrecked though.
                          Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
                            Really? Are you sure it was the actual Rumble Roller you tried? Mine is just as firm as a closed-cell roller and does have a solid core. I've used smooth rollers before and they weren't as aggressive as the Rumble. It's also the only thing that gets deep enough to get my soleus, where I have 3 really stubborn adhesions. I am pretty wrecked though.
                            Yeah, it was at the Rogue tent, they had the black one. There isn't a foam roller out there that does anything for me, they just aren't dense enough. I like the idea of the nubs but they need to make it denser (personal opinion). I use a Travel Roller, essentially pvc pipe wrapped in yoga mat. My wife hates the TR, it's too dense for her.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 280lb man with a healthy amount of muscle mass, I tend to squish lots of things when I sit/lay on them.
                            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                              Yeah, it was at the Rogue tent, they had the black one. There isn't a foam roller out there that does anything for me, they just aren't dense enough. I like the idea of the nubs but they need to make it denser (personal opinion). I use a Travel Roller, essentially pvc pipe wrapped in yoga mat. My wife hates the TR, it's too dense for her.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 280lb man with a healthy amount of muscle mass, I tend to squish lots of things when I sit/lay on them.
                              Ah, yeah that does make a difference. I weigh 160 soaking wet (whether I like it or not, it seems), plus the fact that I'm pretty jacked up...but I would like to see a denser one come out. I plan on trying out The Grid soon to see if that'll be something good to switch to once I take care of a lot of my issues with the RR.
                              Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                              X