Does clenching work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does clenching work?

So, to get a perkier bum, women are generally recommended to do butt clenches.

Does anyone know if this actually works, and if so, what are the mechanics of it? It doesn't make sense to me that just tensing a muscle (without it supporting / lifting any weight) would help it strengthen and tone.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

it won't do much

/professional answer
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Feels good to do it, though.
      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

Only if done correctly. Post a vid so we can critique your form!

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
            Only if done correctly. Post a vid so we can critique your form!
            Haha... if the clenching works I'll post a vid!
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I read that it's a isometric contraction... but can't find the right data on the science of how these apparently work on the body.

- Ray Peat

Comment

I read that it's a isometric contraction
                AFAIK these can be of great benefit when combined with static stretches for flexibility purposes BUT you need some degree of strength already for them to be effective. As far as strength improvements go - I doubt it - generally the rule is if it's hard work then it's doing you good, if it's too easy then not so much. As to toning - there's no such thing so clearly not.

There is a great article in the use of isometric contractions in stretching here: Tricks Tutorials.com

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  I read that it's a isometric contraction... but can't find the right data on the science of how these apparently work on the body.
                  That is correct, it would be an isometric contraction -- which simply means that the muscle you're contracting is neither lengthening or shortening while flexed (or to put it another way, it is not creating motion at a joint).

Isometric contractions can be fantastic for strengthening muscles, but they're far more effective when done against resistance (and probably to the point of fatigue). Classic PBF example would be doing planks. I can't see how flexing a muscle against no added resistance for "reps" is likely to do anything.

The best glute exercises are sprints, squats, and deadlifts (and kettlebell swings if you're into that).

Comment

In his book 4 hour body, Tim Ferris talks about some girl winning a butt competition by just having done kettlebell swings for 6 months. Take some before pictures first, do the swings and then post the after pics. We will help you judge how it worked.
                    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

If you put a tennis ball or a set of grippers between your cheeks clenching is a pretty good workout.
                      I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                        In his book 4 hour body, Tim Ferris talks about some girl winning a butt competition by just having done kettlebell swings for 6 months. Take some before pictures first, do the swings and then post the after pics. We will help you judge how it worked.
                        +1
                        Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

If you do it all the time, your butt will look great all the time ;D

In all honesty, though, squats and deadlifts I've gotten some compliments from girls who ask what I do, and then get turned off by the heavy weights. Oh well.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                            +2
                            Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Guess I am buying a kettlebell so!

I've been doing the clenching for a couple of days and I've noticed that my glutes feel stronger and my lifts are better (my Yoga lifts). Still don't understand how just clenching a muscle group makes it stronger though! None of the sites are giving me the science.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                              X