Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Are Your Own Gym - ideas?

Hi,

I want to start this program (cool app!) based on the forum recommendations I saw here..
    looking for ideas to alternate "equipment". I don't think our doors/doorknobs are strong enough for Let Me Ins, and I don't have a strong coffee table/picnic table etc for Let Me Ups. Ideas? Hubby said he could make something with wood, or mount some kind of bar, but that could take days for him to find time/material, and I'm ready to start

For let me ins I sometimes wrap a towel around a veranda post, or off hotel door knobs, try it and see how you go. I have done let me ups off a hotel dinner table or go to the hardware store and buy a bit of 1.5" timber dowl, or broome stick and put between two chairs, filing cabinets or as in ML book stereo speakers or buy a door pull up bar and mount it low enough to do let me ups and latter at the right height for pull ups. I have got a set of gym rings at home and use these for let me ups, dips etc, great bit of kit for YAYOG workouts.

Or just start on the legs, you can also sub in other exercise's in place of those two, maybe towel curls in place of let me ins

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

http://www.preiswerteinkaufen.org/im..._62637_500.jpg

Buy something like this and use Ropes and hooks to use it for Let me Ins and Let me Ups. And you will need a Pull-Up Bar anyway.

Comment

Where would I find this app?

Did you just do a google search?

Richard
        It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

It's on iTunes or google play best $2 that you will spend. I think there is also a link from his web site

Welcome to You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren

He also has a forum so you will be able to post questions about subs for let me ins/ups
          "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

Thanks

Is there different versions?

Richard
            It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

I went to the android app store and searched for it and it says it doesnt exist. Suggestions?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to use a towel around a 'pillar' in my house, and a broom w/2 chairs Can't wait to get started. Of course, went to download the app on my phone today (had downloaded it before, but on hubby's phone!) and iTunes was down. Hoping to start tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Richardmac - are you sure you typed it in right? I just Googled android app and found this online: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...os.yayog&hl=en

Comment

Sooze. Hi and welcome to the forums. Thanks for starting this post, as I've been wondering the same thing. Starting YAYOG soon, but have no idea what to do about let me ups. Also hadn't thought of using a towel around a post, so that's helpful. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
                  My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

App looks good, I want to start ficking through different classes but does it then assume you have done it?

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                      App looks good, I want to start ficking through different classes but does it then assume you have done it?
                      You just click " don't save" and it reverts to zero.
                      I enjoy my circuit training classes at the gym but downloaded this app as I was curious.

Like the way it talks to you and tells you how many reps to do and then how long to rest.
                      Good if you like interaction and as the no of reps and rest time varies it seems more interesting than just doing my normal reps.
                      Plus good that you can choose the exercises that you prefer to do. Wouldn't trust my house for some of the moves, I would probably pull the door of its hinges. That's not my strength but our paper thin doors.
                      Good app, would recommend.

Comment

Thanks annedawso

Comment

The book explains all the exercises and the program in great detail with excellent photos!
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

The book is good, wish I bought it hard copy instead of kindle.

What would be perfect is an app that had videos showing the movements, not just photos.

Is that asking too much? lol (no, seriously, I would PAY for it)

Comment

At least on my version, you can 'restart' the workout, so it wipes clean the assumption you've done it.

I tried the towel around the post. Ow. My wrists still hurt from grasping. The door knob would be so much easier, if only they wouldn't break apart from being cheap! The broom handle isn't strong enough to hold me (and I'm 150 lbs..) - maybe I can try a shovel from the garage but I'm afraid I'll slip and cut my head off I think I'm going to have to either order a bar to install, or just break down and order like a Power Tower or something!

Comment

Working...
                              X