No announcement yet.

You Are Your Own Gym - ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on a positive note, it is a killer workout.. I felt amazing afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooze View Post
      I tried the towel around the post. Ow. My wrists still hurt from grasping. The door knob would be so much easier, if only they wouldn't break apart from being cheap! The broom handle isn't strong enough to hold me (and I'm 150 lbs..)
      Don't be so sure about the door knob -- I tried that and had trouble with my hands slipping. Proceeded to wrap a towel around the door handles as shown in the book, and have carried on happily ever since. Your wrists/forearms will get stronger.

As for the broom handle, how about replacing it with a dowel (curtain rod??) from Home Depot?
      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Sooze View Post
        p I think I'm going to have to either order a bar to install, or just break down and order like a Power Tower or something!
        Have you got somewhere to hang a set of adjustable gym rings (cheap option), these let you do most of the YAYOG movements for the basic program and add in more challenge due to the instability of the rings. I have a set on the back porch and throw in a few moves most days (pull ups, hanging leg raises, pushups etc)
        "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

Maybe- not a bad idea! I was even thinking that a stretch band around the post would be easier on the wrists.. hubby says it's too instable, but like you said it adds challenge.

Comment

I have the book, the program rocks! Just thought I would add that as I have nothing else to add to the good suggestions ( I have employed a few myself).
            You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

I got the book as well as the app, and book has more info on the movements. He says for Let Me Ins, use any kind of vertical--tree, flagpole, street sign, whatever. For Let Me Ups I've stretched a bar across the back of 2 dining chairs. All kinds of ways,

The app is good for the 10-week programs. I just finished the 2nd program (of four), starting on the 3rd (learning 1-arm pushups!). When you get done with a workout you mark it "Saved" so you know where you are in the 10-week program. I really like how the programs alternate between high-rep, low intensity, and low-rep, high intensity. It works--I definitely am getting much stronger! However, I don't do the 4-5 days a week schedule--between sprint workouts and physical work that I do, I get 2-4 of these in a week. Maybe not ideal for building strength, but it works for my situation.

Comment

A good way to do let me ups when your traveling and don't have a sturdy table is use the counter of the sink in your hotel room if the base has doors that open up underneath it.

Comment

Working...
                X