Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squat form check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
    Don't want to hijack his thread, but I had heard lifting barefoot (especially squat) was bad for you? I workout at home, so can wear whatever I want.
    Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
    you heard wrong
    Depends on the lift and your goals.


    There is a reason weightlifting shoes have an incompressible, raised heel.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CE402 View Post
      Depends on the lift and your goals.


      There is a reason weightlifting shoes have an incompressible, raised heel.
      If you're trying to build strength but not bodybuilding, is barefoot okay?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by CE402 View Post
        Depends on the lift and your goals.


        There is a reason weightlifting shoes have an incompressible, raised heel.
        my understanding is that weightlifting shoes with raised heels are only worn for olympic lifts like snatches or clean and jerks. both of which i'd estimate that less than 1% of the people on this forum are doing, particularly at the competitive level. for squats and deads, feet flat on the floor is paramount. take a look at any world's strongest man competition or local strongman competition, and you'll see all of those guys competing in the squat and dead events barefoot.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
          If you're trying to build strength but not bodybuilding, is barefoot okay?
          barefoot is most definitely ok for strength building, bodybuilding, or any other time you plan on squatting. and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
            my understanding is that weightlifting shoes with raised heels are only worn for olympic lifts like snatches or clean and jerks. both of which i'd estimate that less than 1% of the people on this forum are doing, particularly at the competitive level. for squats and deads, feet flat on the floor is paramount. take a look at any world's strongest man competition or local strongman competition, and you'll see all of those guys competing in the squat and dead events barefoot.
            It depends on what your focus is. Squatting with a raised heel will allow greater depth and should (depends on persons mechanics) put more focus on your posterior chain while flat foot squats will put more emphasis on your quads.

            As for toes pointing forwards... stand in place, which way do your toes point? Unless they're sticking way out to the sides or are pointing inwards that's probably where they should be pointing when you squat. I've known one person who's toes point straight forward when standing in a relaxed pose.

            Now, as you narrow your stance for your squats/deads your toes should point more forward than they do for a wide stance lift. This has more to do with knees and hips than it does with ankles. I personally use a wider stance (but not not super wide like power lifters) with my toes 20-30 degrees out from parallel.
            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

            Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

            Comment


            • #21
              Gadsie, Arnold Schwarzenegger used to work out barefoot. A sneaker isn't going to help you much if you drop a plate on your foot.
              ----------
              Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

              Comment


              • #22
                I picked up a pair of these specifically for squatting and they are very nice 2012 Rogue Weightlifting Shoes. Are you high or low bar squatting? It almost looks like highbar from your back angle/bar position. Although it's hard to tell...
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
                  Gadsie, Arnold Schwarzenegger used to work out barefoot. A sneaker isn't going to help you much if you drop a plate on your foot.
                  He also used to stick a needle in his butt.

                  A leather shoe will dissipate some of the force and will protect against low drops, but you're right, a 45lb plate dropped from a couple feet can break your toes no matter what gym shoe you're wearing.
                  I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

                  Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    [QUOTE=federkeil;908921]He also used to stick a needle in his butt.
                    QUOTE]

                    And this has some bearing on his choice of footwear how?
                    ----------
                    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X