Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death To Cardio!

Here's why I'm never doing cardio again: Death To Cardio
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

bravo. that was a bulls eye for me. all my cardio is some kind of training or fun (hiking)...or has some purpose.

though, i actually do like sitting on the stationary bike for an hour. not mindlessly sweating away, but if i've got something i need to work out in my head, i hop on and go for a ride.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Thanks, Rob - glad you liked this one! I'd rather go for a stroll to have time with my thoughts, but to each their own!
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

So great!

From Al's blog:
        The difference between seeing your workout as “cardio” vs. seeing it as “practice” may be a subtle distinction, but I believe it is an extremely important one.
        I love this. When I run, I'm out there for the experience of running, and I don't just mean seeing nice scenery, or being alone with my thoughts, or feeling the sun on my back -- that stuff is great, but I'm generally most focused on the actual activity. I pay attention to my body, how it moves, and I try to learn how to run "better".

It sounds very strange to tell people "I practiced running today for a couple hours", so I just say "I went for a two hour run". Really though, the first description is more accurate.

Al, your blog continues to rock.

Comment

Love it Al! My sentiments precisely.
          You don't have to be sick to get better.
          Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
          Primal start: 1/2/2012
          My Primal Journal
          Living, loving and learning.

Comment

A great perspective...practicing! Thanks for posting Al!

Comment

Exactly, that's why you're more likely to find me playing as many sports as I can instead of running any extended distance.

Ran a Tough Mudder and my only "training" the two months before was Ultimate once a week.
              I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Cardio is what I do when I want to be doing something else somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
                  So great!

From Al's blog:

I love this. When I run, I'm out there for the experience of running, and I don't just mean seeing nice scenery, or being alone with my thoughts, or feeling the sun on my back -- that stuff is great, but I'm generally most focused on the actual activity. I pay attention to my body, how it moves, and I try to learn how to run "better".

It sounds very strange to tell people "I practiced running today for a couple hours", so I just say "I went for a two hour run". Really though, the first description is more accurate.

Al, your blog continues to rock.
                  Glad you enjoyed this post! Thanks!

Originally posted by Kakes View Post
                  Love it Al! My sentiments precisely.
                  Thanks! Lots of like-minded folks on these boards - that's why I keep coming back!

Originally posted by Jerseyjim View Post
                  A great perspective...practicing! Thanks for posting Al!
                  Thanks, Jim! My pleasure!

Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                  Exactly, that's why you're more likely to find me playing as many sports as I can instead of running any extended distance.

Ran a Tough Mudder and my only "training" the two months before was Ultimate once a week.
                  Right on! Frisbee is a great way to get cardiovascular benefits without "doing cardio."

Originally posted by jhc View Post
                  Cardio is what I do when I want to be doing something else somewhere else.
                  Haha - that sums it up pretty well!

sigpic

Comment

The only "cardio" I do is definitely more practice than anything. I do high volume kettlebell swings, a la Bud Jeffries, and sprints. One day a week each.
                    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

I definitely don't even think about it as 'cardio' anymore - even though I go trail running a lot - more than is normally accepted on these boards. I do it because I like it and I feel like I'm getting better at running up hills!
                      Thanks for the continually great articles Al!
                      ~It's All Relative!~
                      34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
                      Fitness Blog - Instagram
                      Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

I recently started running with my partner, and it's definitely not as cardio--I'd like to do a Spartan Race sometime and the run training helps, but beyond that, just going out and running together is awesome for us as a couple because we can point out interesting stuff to each other, challenge the other to do a bit more, and then wrap it all up doing pullups and playing like big kids on the playground equipment in our local park. I haven't been able to afford my gym fees these last couple of months, so I've seen this as a chance to learn to run better and improve my bodyweight skills, and I've been having a lot of fun doing it.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Totally agree with all the sentiments here. My crazy cousins and friends keep trying to get me into running - more specifically, half marathons and crap like that. Really smart for someone who is working through some cortisol/adrenal dysfunction. Yet, they don't get it.

I'll bounce around when I'm hiking, but that's fun to me. Slogging my way through mile five on the sidewalk sounds like a fate worse than death.

Comment

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
                            The only "cardio" I do is definitely more practice than anything. I do high volume kettlebell swings, a la Bud Jeffries, and sprints. One day a week each.
                            That sounds pretty solid!

Originally posted by WarlordBlade View Post
                            I definitely don't even think about it as 'cardio' anymore - even though I go trail running a lot - more than is normally accepted on these boards. I do it because I like it and I feel like I'm getting better at running up hills!
                            Thanks for the continually great articles Al!
                            Thanks! Of course you're getting better at running hills - you've been practicing!

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                            I recently started running with my partner, and it's definitely not as cardio--I'd like to do a Spartan Race sometime and the run training helps, but beyond that, just going out and running together is awesome for us as a couple because we can point out interesting stuff to each other, challenge the other to do a bit more, and then wrap it all up doing pullups and playing like big kids on the playground equipment in our local park. I haven't been able to afford my gym fees these last couple of months, so I've seen this as a chance to learn to run better and improve my bodyweight skills, and I've been having a lot of fun doing it.
                            Glad you're having fun with the bodyweight training (I'm including running as bw). Maybe you won't even feel the need to rejoin the gym.

Originally posted by LastingOne View Post
                            Totally agree with all the sentiments here. My crazy cousins and friends keep trying to get me into running - more specifically, half marathons and crap like that. Really smart for someone who is working through some cortisol/adrenal dysfunction. Yet, they don't get it.

I'll bounce around when I'm hiking, but that's fun to me. Slogging my way through mile five on the sidewalk sounds like a fate worse than death.
                            It's crazy to start with a half marathon if you're a non-runner - so many amateurs get injured training for these events. A 5k might be a better personal challenge.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                              Glad you're having fun with the bodyweight training (I'm including running as bw). Maybe you won't even feel the need to rejoin the gym.
                              Heh. Maybe if I lived somewhere with halfway bearable winters! Running is not so fun below -20C, and I can't picture trying to do pullups in my mittens in several feet of snow in the park. I'm just not that hardcore.

I belong to a Crossfit gym (a good one with coaches who actually have training beyond a level one cert and where programming is more than just throwing people into the main site WOD) and so I do a lot of playing with barbells, but we still do a fair bit of bodyweight stuff in our workouts. But I've always enjoyed bodyweight stuff--I used to do a lot of it when I was training TKD. I'm looking forward to being able to do handstand pushups again soon.

My ideal is to be able to do stuff like climb ropes--just finally learned that skill!--and other bodyweight fun, but also to be able to pick up really heavy stuff when I feel like it.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X