Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excercise: From Hate to Love

I have not transitioned yet.

I was wondering if anyone did, and if so, how did they start and how long did it take.

My whole organism seems to have a general distaste for general exercise and naturally gravitate towards sloth...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I went from hate to love. Not really sure *how* though. I guess it was during the whole CW days when I started walking on a treadmill, and transitioned into running, eventually 6-7 miles daily. The endorphins kicked in and it became like a drug. I don't run like I used to, but I do enjoy the "high" I get from exercising.

Comment

I haven't transitioned yet, either, SS--not sure I ever will, totally. I love sitting--with a book, on a beach, having dinner with friends.

What I do find I love is having fun--so if my friend's 7-year old asks me to play Wii tennis with him, that's fun. Playing with my dog at the beach, that's fun. I do notice that I'm having fun and being physical, which I guess is progress, huh?

When it comes to strength training exercises. . .not fun; it's still a bit of a forced march.

Comment

Just start slow, and stick with it! I found my body actually started to craveee exercise

Comment

DR that's my goal too, to get the endorphin high (which I have never felt) and get hooked to it.

Craving exercise seems extremely bizarre to me. Maybe sticking long-enough to a HIT routine will do it...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
          "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Well, I'm "lucky" in some ways as my health was really messed up, and exercise became one of the tools that was helping me get better. I know that by making my heart and other muscles stronger, my lungs more efficient, increasing my mitochondria (I think exercise does that?), etc. - that I'm making life a hell of a lot easier for myself. I think, really, the benefits after having regularly exercised for a short time are what keep me at it! Reaping those rewards, being able to walk up a flight of stairs without losing my breath, being able to keep up with my dogs when we're out walking, being able to carry in loads of groceries on one trip (rather than 3), etc. etc. If you can get to that stage where you're starting to feel the improvements, maybe that will keep you at it.

*shrug*

Comment

I've always been a competitive athlete so I guess my opinion doesn't count, but...

After blowing up to nearly 390 LBS I-CAN'T-WAIT (!) until I'm down to a weight that allows me to be competitive again.

40 LBS later and I'm already feeling that itch.

The endorphins are fabulous, but the satisfied exhaustion I feel after busting my ass is what really makes it worth it. In my experience, you'll never truly appreciate how nice it is to relax on a couch until you've first come to appreciate hard physical work.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

@ FabMandy

When friends ask me why I lift so much weight in the gym I shrug my shoulders and say, "So I can carry all the groceries in at once."

lol

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

I went from love to hate.

Walking can be really pleasant and relaxing. Don't think of it as an exercise. It's a chance to walk away from everything. Find a comfortable pace, enjoy the view and when you get tired, stop. Walking also gives me time to think. It's when I have some of my best ideas.

Sprinting is exciting. I don't enjoy lifting heavy things yet, but the results are encouraging.

Then there are those special moments like today, when I had to run a block to catch the bus and it was so easy. I didn't even get out of breath. A year ago I wouldn't have bothered. I would have missed the bus.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                  Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                  No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                  Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

When you can do things that you were never able to do before.

Comment

I used to be indoors almost 24/7 but now I feel weird if I don't get my daily fix of vitamin D and I actually feel restless/crave exercise more now, even if it's just a 30 minute stroll. It might be because on CW, you get tired easily from the sugar crashes, but on PB you have the energy to actually DO something!

Comment

For me, the love is twofold. First, I love being outside and it's my "quiet time". I'm not a "people person" so I use my outside exercise time as people escape. I take the doggie, put on the headphones, and go for a nice long walk at night. I come back feeling physically and psychologically better. Ahh! Nice. I don't even think of this as exercise.

Second is "exercise" which I really used to hate. What keeps me doing this is the fact that I can see results on PB. My arms are getting to look really nice. I can lift all those bags of groceries - heck, I can lift & carry around my 75#-9 year old. Looks good and useful!

SS, you need to find the "thing" that excercise does for you to keep you hooked.

Comment

My HIT routine is 3 exercises once a week. Since I chart my results, which is the weight I lifted and time under load, I look at it more as a time to challenge myself rather than "exercise".

The results keep me going back. The day to day improvement in my life because I'm stronger, keeps me going back.

Comment

I really enjoy going to the gym. I lift heavy (for me), BBS-style, and do Tabata sprints on the elliptical. Usually I go once a week, but I'd like to go twice. Even though I enjoy it, I find it hard to get myself there after a long day at work. My body feels great after I work out, and I love the mild soreness I have the next day. After a full week of not working out, my muscles feel restless, like they are craving that workout.

SS, I recommend checking out BBS (Body by Science); Vick has had amazing results with it. My results haven't been amazing, but I like it and I definitely feel more toned. The great thing about BBS for lazy people is that you get your workout over and done in a very short time - 15-20 minutes if you are doing just BBS (I'm usually in the gym 45 minutes or an hour, but I'm doing other stuff also). Even if you hate it, you can do 20 minutes once a week, and I bet you would start to like it.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                            On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think it's clear that people like me have no choice but to stay outside their comfort zone long enough to allow the psychological/physiological rewards to appear.

I am trying, and if I start to experience the transition I'll post about it. It might help others like me.

Comment

Working...
                              X