Kettlebells for weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettlebells for weight loss

has anyone combined kettlebells with PB eating and if so what kind of results have you gotten?

In the club where I train we have a HIIT rosstraining class where we also integrate kettlebells a lot for squats, presses, and various swings. The thing I like about rosstraining and kettlebells vs working with regular gym machinery is that most of the exercises are focused around core training instead of isolating muscle groups. With a good core you probably get fewer injuries because you're not left with untrained muscles, and you won't end up with a fit upper body and then be skinny below the waist lol... Only started training again after a break a few weeks ago, but my legs have become noticeably more muscular and my abs are still visible despite not actually doing any crunches or anything like that. I don't really have weight to lose so I can't say if its good for that, but for me its more interesting than regular weight training, and being motivated to come to training is the most important factor for me!

Comment

I love kettlebells. I use them for those big compound movements that PB workouts are all about. It's really hard to isolate with kettlebells.

Comment

If you go on any of the k'bell forums there are lots of people who've successfully used them to lose weight. Diet is still going to be the most important factor.

Swings and snatches are what I'd concentrate on. Ballistic movements are where they really shine. Two handed swings with a heavy bell are amazingly taxing on the entire body. With a lighter bell you can go as long as you wish though I think you'll get better results going somewhat heavy.

bruce b.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Kettlebells are cool and all but the point is to lift heavy things, not necessarily heavy kettlebells. Any heavy weight lifting combined with the PB is good.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

>>Kettlebells are cool and all but the point is to lift heavy things, not necessarily heavy kettlebells. Any heavy weight lifting combined with the PB is good.<<

Here&#39;s the question you are responding to.....

>>has anyone combined kettlebells with PB eating and if so what kind of results have you gotten?<<

Isn&#39;t it a good idea to answer the question asked? ..... perhaps something about kettlebells?

bruce b.

Comment

Yea..the kettlebell is a heavy thing, and you lift it. Counts as weight lifting. If you use a lighter one and no the moves over and over make sure you take breaks becasue it can elevate your heart rate too high too long and basically become chronic cardio.

I think they would be fine for fat loss as long as you don&#39;t over-train and stress out your body.

Comment

Thank you, forums warrior. In the future I shall respond directly and not deviate in the slightest.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I use kettlebells a lot. They are great for developing strength and conditioning, and if fat loss is your goal, kettlebell complexes are a great method. I use kettlebells to supplement my training and tend to vary the training load. I vary between lighter weights for higher reps (15+) or for complexes, and heavy weights for single movements. My favorite exercises for using really heavy KBs are the clean & push press, clean & thruster, and the two-handed high pull.

Kettlebells are great for everything really, and there are infinite ways to use them.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

This friend of mine lost 45 pounds using kettlebells. http://www.kettleworx.com/testimonials.html She tried to minimize carbs but had a hard time giving up rice and oatmeal.

Comment

^^That&#39;s awesome! Once I started using them I sort of got addicted.

O/T: I cheated a bit this weekend. Went to Charlotte yesterday to hit the clubs and had the usual 3am Pita Pit Aloha pita with extra meat. That thing was the size of a baby and absolutely delicious. It was a fun night though! Charlotte is always a good time.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

I took a 3 hour clinic on kettlebell fundamentals with Sandy Sommer (RKC-certified) yesterday. He demonstrated the goblet squat, deadlift, swing (one and two-handed), and clean (I may not have all of the terminology down yet, so excuse mistakes). We had plenty of practice and he made sure we were doing each exercise correctly and in proper safe form. Oddly, I went there with a stiff right side from lifting a quarter of frozen grass fed beef and putting it into my freezer last week and that completely disappeared during the practice. I don&#39;t know about weight loss yet, but I can tell you that it was quite clear today that just about every muscle in my 51-year old body was worked quite well. My hamstrings, glutes, and quads have that nice after-exercise feeling, exacerbated by a 6 hour roundtrip drive to NJ today. But the stiff back/side was still completely gone! Oh, we also did the Turkish Get-up which I actually found to be fun. Kind of yoga-like with strength involved. I am looking forward to future classes (1 hour) starting March 29th. I do think it is essential to find someone who really knows what they are doing. Sandy was very patient in making sure that we used proper form and that was evidenced by the fact that I felt very "balanced" today. The only truly sore spots are on the backs of my wrists because I have not perfected the clean move yet and still get a little bounce on the back of my arm from time to time. It will be interesting explaining those bruises to my co-workers this week.

Comment

Working...
                          X