How fast do you lose strength?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast do you lose strength?

Specifically for women. If you are strength training and take a break for two weeks, how much strength is it normal to lose?

During the break you are not a couch potato, just not at the gym lifting.

When I take a short break(2-3 weeks) I almost always GAIN strength not lose it.

Comment

Don't know about 3 weeks but ditto to one to two. Sometimes your body appreciates the break. Probably the same reason that 3 lifting days a week MAY be too much...

Comment

Originally posted by ecole66 View Post
        When I take a short break(2-3 weeks) I almost always GAIN strength not lose it.
        I'm a dude, but I second this.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Depends on how overtrained I was. If I was overtraining, trying to hit 1rms 3x a week, then I will likely gain strength from the break. If I take a break for too long otherwise, like a month, then I lose it.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Definitely not overtraining. I lift twice a week at most, only once a week in the summer since we are swimming and playing more. Every time I'm away from the gym for a week or two, I have to bump way back on weights again.

Comment

you won't lose muscle in that amount of time. 'strength' is funny. the actual number you hit on the lift can vary simply from being out of practice, or low on energy, but it doesn't necessarily indicate that the muscle is weaker.

the best we can do to quantify strength is to go with the number on the barbell, or time-under-load, but nothing's perfect.

anyway, long-winded, but you won't lose strength or muscle in two or three weeks.

Comment

I have never lost strength taking a break for 2 weeks but never tried to not lift anything for 3 weeks though. The only thing that I notice is if I take 1 week off from running then I have to work my way up again.

Comment

I've never lost strength by taking a even a month off and just being active. If you're going on vacation don't feel the need to hit the weights.

I think of strength training this way: If it's that hard to gain strength and I can lose it in such a short time was it actually worth the effort to gain it in the first place.
                  Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    I'm a dude, but I second this.
                    I third it.

Comment

You shouldn't loose strength at all.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        I third it.
                        I fourth.
                        Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                          you won't lose muscle in that amount of time. 'strength' is funny. the actual number you hit on the lift can vary simply from being out of practice, or low on energy, but it doesn't necessarily indicate that the muscle is weaker.

the best we can do to quantify strength is to go with the number on the barbell, or time-under-load, but nothing's perfect.

anyway, long-winded, but you won't lose strength or muscle in two or three weeks.
                          Thank you for that long winded post.
                          And thanks for all the others who commented.

It does seem like I'm losing strength/muscle. After 2 weeks away from the gym, my legs are less toned looking and the numbers on the bar are down. That happens time and time again. Three times I have worked up to 90lbs on back squats and 135 on deadlift. And then due to schedule changes, vacation, or whatever I end up back down again. I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X