Kip-up Tutorial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kip-up Tutorial

This might be a bit esoteric, but if anyone is interested in learning the kip-up, I posted a tutorial about it on my blog here:
    kip-up tutorial

Even if you don't care to learn the exercise, you might still enjoy watching the video.

And just to make this thread Primal Blueprint specific...

DO U THINK GROK WOULD'VE DONE KIP-UPS?!?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

duuuuuuuude...i have wanted to do this forever, but every time i try it i look like a fool and my wife laughs at me. actually laughs. i'll have to practice a little more in secret and give those push ups a try.

thanks for posting this one.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

That is for skinny little dudes, I want to see a 300+ do a kip up....
      I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
      My Journal

Comment

you will dominate dance parties with this move.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
          duuuuuuuude...i have wanted to do this forever, but every time i try it i look like a fool and my wife laughs at me. actually laughs. i'll have to practice a little more in secret and give those push ups a try.

thanks for posting this one.
          Definitely practice in secret. You'll surprise her one day by just busting it out unexpectedly.

Originally posted by jakey View Post
          you will dominate dance parties with this move.
          The kip-up has many practical applications!

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Ok, 300+ dudes can do it too.....

My Journal
            My Journal

Comment

Jeeze you make that look easy, do you think you could add a 90 degree turn, coz that would be the coolest way to pop up while surfing
              You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Haha....I'm a fan of stupid human tricks. Taught myself this years ago. If you get outa practice it can take a few trys to get back in the grove. BTW if you can do this you can automatically do a front hand spring....maybe not Olympic grade, but you can land on your feet

Comment

I don't know what the title was, but I saw a YouTube video a while back of a kid who could do a kip-up so well that he landed standing...legs straight (soft knees, of course) instead of in a pseudo-squat.
                  Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

You've clearly never seen a Sammo Hung movie!
                    At least 2 kip-ups (0:45, 1:08) in this compilation video, plus numerous other athletic moves including a back flip and no-hand cartwheel:

A Tribute To Sammo Hung - YouTube

(ETA: a sprung wrestling ring would make this extremely easy - a gym/dance studio with a sprung floor or even a very big bed are great places to practice the technique )
                    Last edited by zilog; 07-13-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I also should have said: Great site Al! A wealth of well produced & informative articles/videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                        Jeeze you make that look easy, do you think you could add a 90 degree turn, coz that would be the coolest way to pop up while surfing
                        Never tried. Probably would be a lot harder on a surf board though!

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Haha....I'm a fan of stupid human tricks. Taught myself this years ago. If you get outa practice it can take a few trys to get back in the grove. BTW if you can do this you can automatically do a front hand spring....maybe not Olympic grade, but you can land on your feet
                        The technique for a front handspring is a bit different since you aren't starting off your back. I'm sure there's quite a few people who could do one and not the other.

Originally posted by LatchLoua
                        i try it i look like a fool and my wife laughs at me
                        Everyone looks stupid learning this move! I flailed around quite a bit before I was able to land it clean.

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
                        I don't know what the title was, but I saw a YouTube video a while back of a kid who could do a kip-up so well that he landed standing...legs straight (soft knees, of course) instead of in a pseudo-squat.
                        Yeah I've seen it done this way - it's much harder! Maybe I'll get that good at it one day.

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                        At least 2 kip-ups (0:45, 1:08) in this compilation video, plus numerous other athletic moves including a back flip and no-hand cartwheel:

(ETA: a sprung wrestling ring would make this extremely easy - a gym/dance studio with a sprung floor or even a very big bed are great places to practice the technique )
                        Nice clip! I never heard of Sammo before - he's like a portly Jackie Chan! And good point about the sprung ring.

I also should have said: Great site Al! A wealth of well produced & informative articles/videos.
                        Thanks! Glad you like my site!

sigpic

Comment

Pretty dexterous for a chubby dude, but I doubt he is anywhere close to being 300+. Thanks for the vid.

My Journal
                          My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                            Nice clip! I never heard of Sammo before - he's like a portly Jackie Chan! And good point about the sprung ring.
                            Sammo and Jackie are actually practically brothers from their time in the peking opera Jackie Chan's autobiography is actually a very interesting read

Anyway when I first saw the article on your blog (at work) I skipped over it because I thought it was about kipping pullups... Then my wife sent it to me and I said "OOOOOOOOOOH Yeah I need to learn that!"
                            Then I tried and scared the house from the big BOOM I made slamming into the upstairs floor... woke the kids and everything HA! Definitely needs more work!
                            ~It's All Relative!~
                            34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
                            Fitness Blog - Instagram
                            Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

Originally posted by WarlordBlade View Post
                              ...Then my wife sent it to me...
                              Dude, sounds like you have an awesome wife!
                              Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                              X