What equipment should I get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What equipment should I get?

I got a new job, and before I leave my old one, I think I want to take advantage of one last insurance perk: the fitness equipment reimbursement. Itís meant for things like stationary bikes and treadmills, but last year I used it to get a power tower.

So, Iím looking for recommendations (and maybe some links to make shopping a bit easier) for equipment. I get $200, and it has some restrictions, like no weights, sporting equipment, clothing, etc. Right now, a good weighted vest is looking pretty good to me, but what are some other suggestions?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

+1 for weight vest
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Comment

Sandbag, kettlebells or Bulgarian bag could be good.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Sort of depends on what your goals are and what you have already. Off the top of my head: Resistance bands/straps, kettlebells, sandbag, back extension chair/machine, ab wheel, a pair of Fatgrips/Manus grips or other grip equipment.
        turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
          Sandbag, kettlebells or Bulgarian bag could be good.
          yeah, i thought about picking up something from brute force. my homemade bags aren't exactly the most durable. i'll have to see if i can get a decent weight bag and a bulgarian approved. my insurance company is kind of a dick about sticking with cardio equipment. apparently they want to pay for the treatment for joint pain and enlarged hearts.

...i wonder if they would pay for a tractor tire.

Comment

Dude a tractor tire would be so awesome! I live in an area that's still being zoned, and for about a month a used tractor tire was just sitting in a vacant lot on the path I'd take the dog for a walk. BAT flips FTW. Then the tire went away
            Starting weight: 90kg (11/3/13) (33.1 BMI)
            Current weight: 89.5kg (12/3/13) (32.9 BMI)
            Goal weight: 75kg (27.5 BMI)
            Short term goal: BMI under 30
            Mid term goal:
            40 pushups, 100 situps, 10 pullups, 10.1 beep test, >10m 2.4km run
            Long term goal: Enlist as an ARA Combat Engineer

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking at weight vests right now myself....so I'm partial to that.

Comment

Made my Bulgarian bags out of tire inner tubes but a proper sandbag would be nice.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                  Made my Bulgarian bags out of tire inner tubes but a proper sandbag would be nice.
                  do you have good directions for that? i had some saved on my work computer, but it got wiped.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                    do you have good directions for that? i had some saved on my work computer, but it got wiped.
                    i wonder if rosstraining has diy instructions for a bulgarian bag

what kind of equipment do you have already?

and i kind of second a sandbag, although you can make a pretty awesome one for really cheap.

a good weighted vest is a decent idea too

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      i wonder if rosstraining has diy instructions for a bulgarian bag

what kind of equipment do you have already?

and i kind of second a sandbag, although you can make a pretty awesome one for really cheap.

a good weighted vest is a decent idea too
                      i've got a power tower (pull up, dip, push up, leg raise station) and a homemade sandbag. i also recently picked up a small army duffel bag to make a heavier one, just haven't picked up the sand, baggies and tape that i need to throw it all together. i also have an old exercise bike i picked up off craigslist.
                      one issue is that i rent, so my stuff needs to be something i can move easily (so, not a tractor tire) since i will definitely be moving in the next couple of months. it would help to know where i was moving, and the landscape and apartment structure was like so i could figure out if there is a place to use rings or something. one thing i know for sure, is that i can use a weight vest or sandbag anywhere, and for a huge variety of things.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                        i've got a power tower (pull up, dip, push up, leg raise station) and a homemade sandbag. i also recently picked up a small army duffel bag to make a heavier one, just haven't picked up the sand, baggies and tape that i need to throw it all together. i also have an old exercise bike i picked up off craigslist.
                        one issue is that i rent, so my stuff needs to be something i can move easily (so, not a tractor tire) since i will definitely be moving in the next couple of months. it would help to know where i was moving, and the landscape and apartment structure was like so i could figure out if there is a place to use rings or something. one thing i know for sure, is that i can use a weight vest or sandbag anywhere, and for a huge variety of things.
                        with what you've already said, i would probably lean towards a nice weighted vest.

you can make a really nice set of rings out of pvc and 2 adjustable tie down straps that you can buy at home depot/lowes/tractor supply. the diy link is on rosstraining.com. i suppose you could buy them if you didn't want to make them. or you could invest in a TRX

Comment

+1 on the weight vest. I also like my sandbag that I got from Brute Force. Here is one DIY Bulgarian Bag: Making the DIY Bulgarian*Bag - Articles - Mountain Strength CrossFit
                          Randal
                          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

RossTraining.com • View topic - Homemade Bulgarian Training Bag
                            How To Make A Bulgarian Training Bag - Part I - YouTube

There are probably others as well

I used a mix of pea gravel and sand to get the bulk I need at the weight I wanted. I also ran a rope through the middle as well to get the extra handles you often see.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

I have also seen parachutes you can get that act like a resistance sled for sprints.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X