Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raced My First Triathlon Yesterday!

Hey Guys,

I raced the NYC Triathlon yesterday! Woo-hoo!

If you are interested, you can check out my full race report here: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! 2012 NYC Triathlon Race Report
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Read it earlier. Good job Al. How big was your snack at the first transition that it took you 10mins longer than T2?

Comment

Awesome!
      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Sweet A triathalon is on my 'to do list' at some point in the next 4 years
        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

kick ass, Al. and that was a great write up. was that an olympic distance?
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
            Read it earlier. Good job Al. How big was your snack at the first transition that it took you 10mins longer than T2?
            Thanks! It wasn't just the snack (which was a banana fyi) - it was removing the wetsuit, putting on my race number, drying my feet, getting socks and shoes on, etc. There is just a lot to do after the swim and I wanted to be slow and exacting.

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
            Awesome!
            Thanks!

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
            Sweet A triathalon is on my 'to do list' at some point in the next 4 years
            Yeah that's about how long it took me to go from thinking about it to actually doing one!

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
            kick ass, Al. and that was a great write up. was that an olympic distance?
            Thanks very much! And yeah it was Olympic distance (1500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run) - I just realized I left that out of my write up!
            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Just watched the video, your joy made me smile!
              Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
              READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

that was a great write up.

Comment

Originally posted by Moochy View Post
                  Just watched the video, your joy made me smile!
                  Thanks! That's what it's all about!

Originally posted by LockeGilber View Post
                  that was a great write up.
                  Thanks for reading!

sigpic

Comment

congrats al! keep up the good work. i've been looking in to some local duathalons in my area (bike-run-bike) and there are even some that are mountain bike-trail run. those are awesome. it's always good to set a goal and see it through. very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      congrats al! keep up the good work. i've been looking in to some local duathalons in my area (bike-run-bike) and there are even some that are mountain bike-trail run. those are awesome. it's always good to set a goal and see it through. very nice!
                      Thanks! You should do it!

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Al - Sorry to get off-topic here, but you always inspire me! I have been a pullup machine for the past year, I have been doing literally hundreds a day, every day. 18 months ago, I couldn't do one.

Anyway, after reading Body By Science, where they recommend super slow weight lifting with Nautilus equipment and a one week recovery time, I got to thinking I should try that with body weight stuff.

A couple weeks ago, I started doing body weight exercises just one day a week. I do pullups, chinups, pushups on one day and squats and sprint the next. Then rest a week.

I'm doing the pullups/chinups from dead hang, 30-60 seconds up and 30-60 seconds down. I can do about 2 or 3 of these, and it makes my arms burn for a couple days. Doing 'regular' pullups, I could do about 30 in pretty good form.

Have you ever tried super slow pullups? How many can you do on a 30 second count? Just curious because I know you are the pullup champ of New York, or something like that. ha

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          Hey, Al - Sorry to get off-topic here, but you always inspire me! I have been a pullup machine for the past year, I have been doing literally hundreds a day, every day. 18 months ago, I couldn't do one.

Anyway, after reading Body By Science, where they recommend super slow weight lifting with Nautilus equipment and a one week recovery time, I got to thinking I should try that with body weight stuff.

A couple weeks ago, I started doing body weight exercises just one day a week. I do pullups, chinups, pushups on one day and squats and sprint the next. Then rest a week.

I'm doing the pullups/chinups from dead hang, 30-60 seconds up and 30-60 seconds down. I can do about 2 or 3 of these, and it makes my arms burn for a couple days. Doing 'regular' pullups, I could do about 30 in pretty good form.

Have you ever tried super slow pullups? How many can you do on a 30 second count? Just curious because I know you are the pullup champ of New York, or something like that. ha
                          I've messed around with some super-slow training. I blogged about it here: Super Slow Workout

I'm not sure how many I could do with a 30 sec up/30 sec down tempo. Probably not very many.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                            I've messed around with some super-slow training. I blogged about it here: Super Slow Workout

I'm not sure how many I could do with a 30 sec up/30 sec down tempo. Probably not very many.
                            Awesome blog! Thanks for the link. Just out of curiosity, do you do rest days? Or just go balls to the wall every day?

Comment

I do rest days occasionally and I vary my intensity. I definitely don't go balls to the wall every day.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X