10,000 KB swing challenge in 10 or 30 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Got my 1,000 done for today. I'm still 100 short from yesterday. That'll be remedied tomorrow. I'm finding that every day is getting easier now...especially now that I'm being more consistent with my foam rolling.
    EvRevFit, how long do you usually foam roll for and what muscles have you been concentrating on? After doing these kettlebell swings I find my hamstrings, lower back and chest are extremely sore.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyskillz67 View Post
      EvRevFit, how long do you usually foam roll for and what muscles have you been concentrating on? After doing these kettlebell swings I find my hamstrings, lower back and chest are extremely sore.
      I focus the most on my hamstrings and glutes/piriformis (deep muscle to the glutes). I roll my lower back a bit, but I'm finding that the harder I contract and stabilize my abdominal complex the less stress there is on the back.

Where in your chest are you feeling it, and when do you feel it most?
      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

I focus the most on my hamstrings and glutes/piriformis (deep muscle to the glutes). I roll my lower back a bit, but I'm finding that the harder I contract and stabilize my abdominal complex the less stress there is on the back.

Where in your chest are you feeling it, and when do you feel it most?
        I feel it in my pecks and I feel it the most when I'm at the end of the swing where the KB is between my legs.

Comment

Got ambitious and did 1400 swings with the 24kg.
          6x100 (50 reps per side)
          16x50 (25 reps per side)

Took about an hour and a half. The last 400 made me weep sickly man tears.

Puts me ahead of the game at 3 days with 3800 swings in which is good since I have judo practice tomorrow. DOMS imminent which is bad.

Time to soak hands and whimper.

edit: Just realized I'm out of corn huskers lotion.

Comment

I feel it in my pecks and I feel it the most when I'm at the end of the swing where the KB is between my legs.
            Are you keeping your shoulders back and your chest out at the end range? It may just be tightness in your chest.
            Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Yeah I'm doing that.

Comment

Yeah I'm doing that.
                Unfortunately I can't do a full assessment online, but it sounds like you have a good amount of tightness in your pecs (and by good amount I mean way too much). Do you feel the muscles between your shoulder blades working hard when you do your swings?

Based on what you've told me I'd say you should try to spend some extra time foam rolling and stretching your pecs. Your lats probably need some attention too. See if that clears it up!
                Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

All I have to say, you guys are studs....
                  I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                  My Journal

Comment

Unfortunately I can't do a full assessment online, but it sounds like you have a good amount of tightness in your pecs (and by good amount I mean way too much). Do you feel the muscles between your shoulder blades working hard when you do your swings?

Based on what you've told me I'd say you should try to spend some extra time foam rolling and stretching your pecs. Your lats probably need some attention too. See if that clears it up!
                    I think you were right about the tightness. I spent extra time rolling out my chest and it feels amazing now.

Got 300 swings this morning, going for another 300 later today!

Comment

So I'm 4 days in. Finished 1200 today. Figured I'd bring my count up to an even 5000, since my daughter is sick, and when she gets sick I tend to. So if I lose a day I won't be behind.

Did the breathing ladders doing one handed swings with the 24kg. Figured I'd do so since I blasted myself yesterday. I'm surprised I'm not nearly as sore as I thought I would be.I feel like I'm adapting pretty well. I think the best part about doing this much volume is I'm picking up on my weak points in the swing and since working on the breathing ladders is pretty methodical they are easy to correct.

Definitely glad I'm keeping up on the hand care. My main issue is practice tonight may be hellish, then again it always is.

Comment

Got 1265 to log. I think I'm a little off-the-pace and I need to be ahead of the game; we're going away next Monday and, although I'm taking a KB along, but don't want to be constrained in what I can do with it.

Started back on some of my more regular training today, shoulder seems fully recovered, and I've got some interesting 'horse-riding' style going on with my KB swings (I feel as if I'm on a steady trot.)

When is the deadline? I started 12/24hrs after EvRevFit and so far I have a total of 5962 . I'm confused by the times. I'm on UK time and the forum is on?
                        Last edited by pdjesson; 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM.
                        All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

I think you were right about the tightness. I spent extra time rolling out my chest and it feels amazing now.

Got 300 swings this morning, going for another 300 later today!
                          Good! Rolling your chest and focusing on pulling your shoulders back when you swing will help the postural distortion I'm pretty sure you have from what I've gathered.

Originally posted by pdjesson View Post
                          When is the deadline? I started 12/24hrs after EvRevFit and so far I have a total of 5962 . I'm confused by the times. I'm on UK time and the forum is on?
                          As far as I'm concerned the deadline is just 10 or 30 days after you started, depending on which one you're doing.
                          Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

5,000 down, 5,000 to go. My final day will be Thursday next week!
                            Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Anyone have any ideas on deloading after this is all said and done? I'm still trying to figure out how to go about that.

edit: Feeling super smoked today. Definitely struggling through today. Might end up taking the weekend off instead of plowing straight through. Don't think I ate enough yesterday post practice and swings.
                              Last edited by JRuined; 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Beat my way through the (mostly) mental blockage I was dealing with earlier. I put Neurosis' Enemy of the Sun on repeat, slapped my pansy brain and got to it. I'm going to massage my CNS big time when I'm done with this.

5 rounds of 100 (switching off each round between 1 handed swings and 2 handed) and finished with 1 handed swing Breathing Ladders for a total of 1300.

Comment

Working...
                                X