Most important lifts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important lifts?

I have been doing PBF for a while now and find I miss lifting weights. I do appreciate the short, full body workout from PBF. So I'm trying to figure out what lifts to do that will be garner a similar, short on time, full body work out. I'm not trying to build tons of muscle, just maintain muscle mass as I lose weight. I do not belong to a gym but have the following at home:

Squat Rack
    Bench
    Lat Tower
    Ab Ball (or whatever you want to call it)
    Dumbbells
    Jump Rope
    Resistance bands

Thanks for your thoughts!

you can great full-body workout with just the bench and squat rack, and a place to do pull ups. the bench is good for the bench. the squat rack is a good place to do squats, overhead press, rows, inverse rows and deadlifts. basically, you can try a program like starting strength or stronglifts at home and see how that works for you...assuming you have a barbel and weights to go with all that equipment. you can recreate most of the big movements with dumbbells too...i just think a barbel is better.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I would say you want to stay with compound movements covering a push, pull and squat. As long as your covering those basic movements, you should be all set.

My current quick strength workout:
      - Deadlift
      - Push press
      - Pull Ups
      - Swings
      - Ab wheel rollout

Comment

In order (all include all variations)

Squats
        Deads

Press
        Pullups

Bench
        Power Clean
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
          In order (all include all variations)

Squats
          Deads

Press
          Pullups

Bench
          Power Clean
          Thanks, that looks good. Can I do these as supersets? How many reps should I be doing? I'm female if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
            Thanks, that looks good. Can I do these as supersets? How many reps should I be doing? I'm female if that matters.
            While you could do them as supersets, I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend using the Starting Strength program- it uses these lifts perfectly.

Starting Strength Wiki
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Same kit that I have...and I agree with Apex Starting Strength is the way to go if you want to lift.

That jump rope will come in handy for skipping sprints too.
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                I dunno...can you? If you can God bless you cause I sure cant .

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  I dunno...can you? If you can God bless you cause I sure cant .
                  I just prefer to do supersets because it keeps the heart going and makes the workout shorter. Usually try to pair opposite body parts. So I would do squats/pull-ups, deads/press.

I'll play around and see what feels good for the summer. Maybe look into starting strength for the winter, but don't have the extra funds for a book right now. Have to be sure whatever I choose fits into my schedule too.

Comment

Follow SS you should be in and out in 30min-hour...there is no way you can get a good workout supersetting squats and deads....your body won't handle it.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Is it worth it to follow SS if I can only lift 2 days/week? I'm going to try and fit in 3x/wk, but after summer 2x/wk is more likely.

Comment

That's perfectly fine. And don't do the supersets,it defeats the purpose of strength training.
                        "Go For Broke"
                        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                        Small Kine-168/9%
                        Now- 200/8%
                        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                          That's perfectly fine. And don't do the supersets,it defeats the purpose of strength training.
                          +1
                          Lifting Journal

Comment

I do:

Mondays: Deadlift, shoulder press, weighted pull-ups, overhead dumbbell press
                            Thursdays: Benchpress, dips, incline dumbbell chest press
                            Saturdays: Squats, calf raises, weighted chin-ups, quick set of curls

That's pretty much it. Each day takes about 1 hour.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                              I see that it fits perfectly with CW spouted to women about low weight/high reps and trying to build endurance. This may sound like a weird question, but what do you for 3-5 minutes between sets?

Comment

Working...
                              X