Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wendler's 5/3/1 with Boring but Big assistance - how much to eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wendler's 5/3/1 with Boring but Big assistance - how much to eat?

    In the 5/3/1 book, Wendler advises simply to eat eat eat. Now, this I can do. Oh boy can I! Combined with primal clean calories this should be optimal, but I don't think Wendler has seen the damage I can do to pork belly, lamb, and sweet potatoes.

    How many calories do other lifters here aim for? I'm 6ft/182cm and around 13 stone/85 kg last time I checked which was a while ago!

  • #2
    I'm, 5'11" 170lb and just switched from SS after nine months to 5/3/1 with BW assistance, in the first cycle now, SS got me to 5x5 285lb squat and 340 dead. My cal on lift days are well above 3000, and between 2200-2500 on "rest" days, follow convict conditioning progression just for fun and to put the work day behind me on rest days. I up it a little on those days if I'm going to sprint. 100% clean diet except for the occasional street cart tacos.
    Last edited by emerson; 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Emerson, good info!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chronyx View Post
        In the 5/3/1 book, Wendler advises simply to eat eat eat. Now, this I can do. Oh boy can I! Combined with primal clean calories this should be optimal, but I don't think Wendler has seen the damage I can do to pork belly, lamb, and sweet potatoes.

        How many calories do other lifters here aim for? I'm 6ft/182cm and around 13 stone/85 kg last time I checked which was a while ago!
        iv'e got about the same stats - 6'1 and 185 also doing 531 BBB. i'm doing 4000 calories on workout days.

        Comment


        • #5
          4000 cals, nice

          It's a great program, I think I started too light despite that being what Wendler recommends - yesterday was 3x3 squats and my final set was 15 at 67.5kg! BBB after that was a pleasntly hard exercise!

          He doesn't advise going up any more than 5kg in each lift per cycle so I'll have to go with it!

          Comment


          • #6
            i love the simplicity of BBB. main lift, then 5x10 followed by 1 assistance exercise. switching up the assistance exercises is what keeps it fresh for me. what do you do? so far for me:

            - squat: hanging leg raises or hamstring cable curl (my gym doesn't have a reverse hyper or i'd do those as well)
            - deads: sames as above or weighted incline sit-ups
            - bench: db rows, barbell rows, incline bench, db bench
            - press: weighted dips, plate raises, cable face pulls

            if you started too light you can always recalculate your max based on the 3x15 set.

            Comment


            • #7
              Same here, BBB takes all the guess work out!

              I do dips, chins, pull-ups, DB flys, sit ups.

              Need to incorporate DB rows (Form needs improvement), barbell pullovers (Recommended on 20 rep squat scene), and hanging knee raises.

              I generally avoid machines, I've never trained with them so once I get good at dips etc I'll buy a weights vest and keep a 'whole body' approach to the assistance exercises.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                Same here, BBB takes all the guess work out!

                I do dips, chins, pull-ups, DB flys, sit ups.

                Need to incorporate DB rows (Form needs improvement), barbell pullovers (Recommended on 20 rep squat scene), and hanging knee raises.

                I generally avoid machines, I've never trained with them so once I get good at dips etc I'll buy a weights vest and keep a 'whole body' approach to the assistance exercises.
                just bought this for weighted dips and pull ups. it's pricey but i want something of high quality and it needs to be portable.

                De Rigueur Dipping Belt for weighted dips, chins - IronMind-Ironmind Enterprises

                review:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HD-gXwdFeAY

                i'm going to try out those pull overs too.
                Last edited by canuk_caveman; 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Looks like a good product, I'll add it to my list!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                    4000 cals, nice

                    It's a great program, I think I started too light despite that being what Wendler recommends - yesterday was 3x3 squats and my final set was 15 at 67.5kg! BBB after that was a pleasntly hard exercise!
                    !
                    What are you numbers like? that seems very light even at 15 reps. I did 531 before i should have and it actually set me back.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just wanted to add that I love the 5/3/1 program. I did my modified version of it for almost a year I think before and injury sidelined me. I substituted weighted chins for the bench press. I felt like having two upper-body push movements and no pull was imbalanced. I guess that's why Wendler tells you to do lots of chinups/pullups as assistance. I also did 3 or so RPT (reverse pyramid training) sets after the 5/3/1 sets. In hindsight, this may have led to too much volume on deadlift and squat, but it gave me good results.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SonGoku View Post
                        What are you numbers like? that seems very light even at 15 reps. I did 531 before i should have and it actually set me back.
                        I thought so too, although my maxes are based on real life gym sessions before I started the 5/3/1 program. I did train very regularly a couple of years ago so maybe it's not taking me long to build up again.

                        Squat 82
                        Bench Press 62
                        Deadlift 119
                        Shoulder Press 41

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          I just wanted to add that I love the 5/3/1 program. I did my modified version of it for almost a year I think before and injury sidelined me. I substituted weighted chins for the bench press. I felt like having two upper-body push movements and no pull was imbalanced. I guess that's why Wendler tells you to do lots of chinups/pullups as assistance. I also did 3 or so RPT (reverse pyramid training) sets after the 5/3/1 sets. In hindsight, this may have led to too much volume on deadlift and squat, but it gave me good results.
                          Would you mind posting up a typical training session with RPT's?

                          Thank you

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                            Would you mind posting up a typical training session with RPT's?

                            Thank you
                            Sure. When I was doing deadlift with a 1RM of 365 I did:
                            A couple of warmup sets, then
                            235x5
                            275x5
                            315x5+( say 8 reps)
                            275x10
                            235x12
                            Possibly one more set with the same or lighter weight.

                            This works really nicely with 5/3/1 since the jump between sets is 10%. The goal is to get 1-2 more reps than on your previous heavier set. Like I said earlier, this might lead to too much volume for monster exercises like back squat and deadlift. Also, keep in mind if you decide to use weighted chins as a main lift, factor in your bodyweight too. Otherwise the weights don't work out right.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Interesting, I will try that! Did you come up with the 10 and 12 reps yourself or read about them elsewhere?

                              I have also had a look at the spreadsheet I use and I can adjust the maxium jump between cycles, it was at 5kg so I might take it to 7.5 next cycle (4 days a week) and see how I get on.

                              I hate to muck around against Wendler's advice but I also need a challenge to stay focussed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X