Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wendler's 5/3/1 with Boring but Big assistance - how much to eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendler's 5/3/1 with Boring but Big assistance - how much to eat?

In the 5/3/1 book, Wendler advises simply to eat eat eat. Now, this I can do. Oh boy can I! Combined with primal clean calories this should be optimal, but I don't think Wendler has seen the damage I can do to pork belly, lamb, and sweet potatoes.

How many calories do other lifters here aim for? I'm 6ft/182cm and around 13 stone/85 kg last time I checked which was a while ago!

I'm, 5'11" 170lb and just switched from SS after nine months to 5/3/1 with BW assistance, in the first cycle now, SS got me to 5x5 285lb squat and 340 dead. My cal on lift days are well above 3000, and between 2200-2500 on "rest" days, follow convict conditioning progression just for fun and to put the work day behind me on rest days. I up it a little on those days if I'm going to sprint. 100% clean diet except for the occasional street cart tacos.
    Last edited by emerson; 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Emerson, good info!

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
        In the 5/3/1 book, Wendler advises simply to eat eat eat. Now, this I can do. Oh boy can I! Combined with primal clean calories this should be optimal, but I don't think Wendler has seen the damage I can do to pork belly, lamb, and sweet potatoes.

How many calories do other lifters here aim for? I'm 6ft/182cm and around 13 stone/85 kg last time I checked which was a while ago!
        iv'e got about the same stats - 6'1 and 185 also doing 531 BBB. i'm doing 4000 calories on workout days.

Comment

4000 cals, nice

It's a great program, I think I started too light despite that being what Wendler recommends - yesterday was 3x3 squats and my final set was 15 at 67.5kg! BBB after that was a pleasntly hard exercise!

He doesn't advise going up any more than 5kg in each lift per cycle so I'll have to go with it!

Comment

i love the simplicity of BBB. main lift, then 5x10 followed by 1 assistance exercise. switching up the assistance exercises is what keeps it fresh for me. what do you do? so far for me:

- squat: hanging leg raises or hamstring cable curl (my gym doesn't have a reverse hyper or i'd do those as well)
            - deads: sames as above or weighted incline sit-ups
            - bench: db rows, barbell rows, incline bench, db bench
            - press: weighted dips, plate raises, cable face pulls

if you started too light you can always recalculate your max based on the 3x15 set.

Comment

Same here, BBB takes all the guess work out!

I do dips, chins, pull-ups, DB flys, sit ups.

Need to incorporate DB rows (Form needs improvement), barbell pullovers (Recommended on 20 rep squat scene), and hanging knee raises.

I generally avoid machines, I've never trained with them so once I get good at dips etc I'll buy a weights vest and keep a 'whole body' approach to the assistance exercises.

Comment

Same here, BBB takes all the guess work out!

I do dips, chins, pull-ups, DB flys, sit ups.

Need to incorporate DB rows (Form needs improvement), barbell pullovers (Recommended on 20 rep squat scene), and hanging knee raises.

I generally avoid machines, I've never trained with them so once I get good at dips etc I'll buy a weights vest and keep a 'whole body' approach to the assistance exercises.
                just bought this for weighted dips and pull ups. it's pricey but i want something of high quality and it needs to be portable.

De Rigueur Dipping Belt for weighted dips, chins - IronMind-Ironmind Enterprises

review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HD-gXwdFeAY

i'm going to try out those pull overs too.
                Last edited by canuk_caveman; 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Looks like a good product, I'll add it to my list!

Comment

4000 cals, nice

It's a great program, I think I started too light despite that being what Wendler recommends - yesterday was 3x3 squats and my final set was 15 at 67.5kg! BBB after that was a pleasntly hard exercise!
                    !
                    What are you numbers like? that seems very light even at 15 reps. I did 531 before i should have and it actually set me back.

Comment

I just wanted to add that I love the 5/3/1 program. I did my modified version of it for almost a year I think before and injury sidelined me. I substituted weighted chins for the bench press. I felt like having two upper-body push movements and no pull was imbalanced. I guess that's why Wendler tells you to do lots of chinups/pullups as assistance. I also did 3 or so RPT (reverse pyramid training) sets after the 5/3/1 sets. In hindsight, this may have led to too much volume on deadlift and squat, but it gave me good results.

Comment

Originally posted by SonGoku View Post
                        What are you numbers like? that seems very light even at 15 reps. I did 531 before i should have and it actually set me back.
                        I thought so too, although my maxes are based on real life gym sessions before I started the 5/3/1 program. I did train very regularly a couple of years ago so maybe it's not taking me long to build up again.

Squat 82
                        Bench Press 62
                        Deadlift 119
                        Shoulder Press 41

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          I just wanted to add that I love the 5/3/1 program. I did my modified version of it for almost a year I think before and injury sidelined me. I substituted weighted chins for the bench press. I felt like having two upper-body push movements and no pull was imbalanced. I guess that's why Wendler tells you to do lots of chinups/pullups as assistance. I also did 3 or so RPT (reverse pyramid training) sets after the 5/3/1 sets. In hindsight, this may have led to too much volume on deadlift and squat, but it gave me good results.
                          Would you mind posting up a typical training session with RPT's?

Thank you

Comment

Would you mind posting up a typical training session with RPT's?

Thank you
                            Sure. When I was doing deadlift with a 1RM of 365 I did:
                            A couple of warmup sets, then
                            235x5
                            275x5
                            315x5+( say 8 reps)
                            275x10
                            235x12
                            Possibly one more set with the same or lighter weight.

This works really nicely with 5/3/1 since the jump between sets is 10%. The goal is to get 1-2 more reps than on your previous heavier set. Like I said earlier, this might lead to too much volume for monster exercises like back squat and deadlift. Also, keep in mind if you decide to use weighted chins as a main lift, factor in your bodyweight too. Otherwise the weights don't work out right.

Comment

Interesting, I will try that! Did you come up with the 10 and 12 reps yourself or read about them elsewhere?

I have also had a look at the spreadsheet I use and I can adjust the maxium jump between cycles, it was at 5kg so I might take it to 7.5 next cycle (4 days a week) and see how I get on.

I hate to muck around against Wendler's advice but I also need a challenge to stay focussed.

Comment

Working...
                              X