Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing calf size measurement

Hey guys,

What kind of exercise do you do to increase the size of your calves? Currently I'm doing calf raises sometimes with weights and I even do it on a leg press machine. I'm on a fat loss right now and my legs just shrink like crazy. I lift heavy for me at the moment to preserve my muscle. My thighs are 20 inches and my calves are 12. Does this measurement sound weird? I would just like my legs to look proportionally balanced.

I know genetics play a role in this. Any thoughts?

Calves.... are what you're born with. Mine were 18inches 10 years ago and they're still 18inches
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Squats, heal raises off a stair, walking barefoot (or in barefoot shoes) all should help strengthen them.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

I think someone on this foum linked to a T-nation article about doing 100 calf raises every day. With a slow tempo (2 seconds up, 2 hold at the top, 2 down). I've been at it a week. I'll report back if I see a benefit in two weeks or so.

Comment

Explosive Calves - Basketball Calf Exercises

But seriously - why do you want big calves?
          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
          Brute Force Sandbags
          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Barefoot shoes + plyometrics.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
              Explosive Calves - Basketball Calf Exercises

But seriously - why do you want big calves?
              No I don't want big calves. The leaner I get the smaller they become and they look like twigs more so when I wear heels.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                I think someone on this foum linked to a T-nation article about doing 100 calf raises every day. With a slow tempo (2 seconds up, 2 hold at the top, 2 down). I've been at it a week. I'll report back if I see a benefit in two weeks or so.
                Okay I might do that. I never tried doing 100, I usually do 3x15 with moderate to heavy weight. Do let me know how that's going.

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                  Okay I might do that. I never tried doing 100, I usually do 3x15 with moderate to heavy weight. Do let me know how that's going.
                  I've been doing sets in the 25-35 rep range. 3-4 sets to total 100 reps.

Comment

A lot more dairy. Feeding your calves more milk should help them increase in size and then make sure they stay grass fed after that they get weened.
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                      A lot more dairy. Feeding your calves more milk should help them increase in size and then make sure they stay grass fed after that they get weened.
                      definitely. nothing grows calves like milk.

Comment

Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                        Calves.... are what you're born with. Mine were 18inches 10 years ago and they're still 18inches
                        Ew, this is not what I want to hear. Mine are 18" too and I want them to shrink!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

Calves muscles are no different that other leg muscles. Stimulate them, eat and rest and they should grow.
                          "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Calf size will come with all round size, increase your squat/Dead = bigger calves.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
                              Ew, this is not what I want to hear. Mine are 18" too and I want them to shrink!
                              I've never had fat on my calves though. Even when I was up to 24% body fat I had well defined calves.
                              Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                              Calves muscles are no different that other leg muscles. Stimulate them, eat and rest and they should grow.
                              Tell that to the steroid junkies that get calf implants...

Calves don't like to get bigger. They'll get stronger and more explosive for sure, but bigger? noooooooooope

Originally posted by SonGoku View Post
                              Calf size will come with all round size, increase your squat/Dead = bigger calves.
                              You don't use your calves for squats or deadlifts...
                              I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Working...
                              X