Squatting - knees over toes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squatting - knees over toes?

Some random personal trainer told me your knees should never pass your toes while squatting. This is almost impossible for me to do, is it true?
    well then

You are probably not sitting back far enough. I find It's a little more awkward to keep the form with air squats but loaded with a heavy barbell, it's rarely an issue. If your spine is pointing straight up and the bottom of your squat, you're probably not doing it right. For air squats, hold your arms out to counter balance your weight at the bottom and drive your butt up while pressing through your heels.

Comment

You will put too much stress on your knees if they go out in front of your toes. This was how I did squats 30 years ago and have the wrecked knees to prove it. Doing them properly now puts no strain on my knees at all. WIll never run again though due to the improper positioning years ago so be careful.

Comment

I had very bad posture for air squats. My issue was that I was not sitting back far enough and my toes weren't turned out enough. Watching some of these helped. (I'm not saying they have perfect form, but I got the point).

AIR SQUAT - YouTube

Crossfit Park City Air Squat Instruction - YouTube

CrossFit Squat - YouTube

Comment

Alright, I'm talking about 1cm over my toes though. Maybe even parallel. But I can't keep my toes IN FRONT of my knees
          well then

Comment

I think Gadsie's doing one of the beginner strength programs, so I'm guessing he's probably referring to back squats with a barbell rather than body weight squats.

The trick's to tilt your pelvis. There was an amazing video about anterior pelvic tilt on the RobbWolf blog about a month ago (total guess, could be 3 weeks, could be 9) that really struck a chord with me. Try to find it.

If you're loaded up and your pelvis is properly tucked, I agree with wnoblit that the knees shouldn't even be trying to come out over the toes. Check your feet. Are your heels staying firmly grounded, or are they trying to rise up off the ground? Are you leaning forward? Because don't do that.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              Alright, I'm talking about 1cm over my toes though. Maybe even parallel. But I can't keep my toes IN FRONT of my knees
              You wouldn't be able to tell from that angle if your knees were 1cm over your toes. You'd need a partner with a profile view. And I wouldn't sweat 1 cm.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

sorry this is BS. squat properly and don't worry about whether knees pass toes. random personal trainers spew out bits like this to cue people to squat back into their hips, which is great, but there's really no line in the sand about knees passing toes. frankly, i think it's just about inevitable.
                Last edited by jakey; 06-28-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

This blog post I did about squats addresses this issue pretty well I think: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! All About Squats
                  "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

1cm isn't going to be a huge issue. The trainer maybe trying to over emphasize the fact that you need to be sitting further back in the squat.

Think of it this way, The bar path should follow a straight inline over your ankles. If the bar gets ahead of your ankles at the bottom, you are probably leaning forward and over involving your quads.

If your ass and hams are sore the next day, you're probably doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                      sorry this is BS. squat properly and don't worry about whether knees pass toes. random personal trainers spew out bits like this to cue people to squat back into their hips, which is great, but there's really no line in the sand about knees passing toes. frankly, i think it's just about inevitable.
                      I would only say to try not to go pass the toe when one is doing a regular squat. If you are doing a full squat it is impossible to not go pass your toes. If the OP is going pass pass his toes then the form is off balanced due to some hip mobility issues, could be the weight is too much or not resting the Barbell properly on the upper back along with some support from hands. All these can throw off your balance hence one would pass the toes.

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                        I would only say to try not to go pass the toe when one is doing a regular squat. If you are doing a full squat it is impossible to not go pass your toes. If the OP is going pass pass his toes then the form is off balanced due to some hip mobility issues, could be the weight is too much or not resting the Barbell properly on the upper back along with some support from hands. All these can throw off your balance hence one would pass the toes.
                        i'm not sure what the distinction is between a regular squat and a full squat. i'm talking about full squats, a la rippetoe. the knees simply will pass the toes. the squat is definitely initiated in the hips, powered by the hips, and completely hip dominant, i'm guessing that's where the cue comes from.

Comment

+1 what Jakey said. Front squats are also impossible without the knees going past the toes, you'd fall over if you didn't. Wrecking your knees with squats has more to do with the lateral strain from not tracking the knees properly with the direction of the toes. i.e. Squeezing your knees together too much out of the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                            i'm not sure what the distinction is between a regular squat and a full squat. i'm talking about full squats, a la rippetoe. the knees simply will pass the toes. the squat is definitely initiated in the hips, powered by the hips, and completely hip dominant, i'm guessing that's where the cue comes from.
                            i thought you were talking about this Squat Calisthenic Exercise | CalisthenicExercise.com
                            The full squat is your ass to the ground this http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2009/09/why...ld-full-squat/
                            Last edited by cayla29s; 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Knee position relative to toes is BULLSHIT. 1) Everyone has slightly different length; feet, tibias and femurs. This is not a cue for correct posture on a Low Bar Back Squat. 2) Damned near everything else matters but that.

Correct Cues: Heels of feet shoulder width, toes angled out (about 30 deg.), bar balanced over MIDFOOT (not ankle), knees aligned with feet PUSH OUT, hips below knees, drive hips UP, knees OUT.

MY toes are slightly past MY knees, as most peoples will be. But if you have short legs and wear a size 14 shoe, guess what, your knees won't be in front. So in short it matters not.
                              "Go For Broke"
                              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                              Small Kine-168/9%
                              Now- 200/8%
                              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Working...
                              X