No announcement yet.

Squatting - knees over toes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would go with the ones who say don't worry, as long as your squat form is good. I get comments from trainers and other customers at the gym when I squat - "nooo, don't do that, your knees go past your toes!". However, that's how my brilliant trainer, who is a trainee or Charles Poliquin, taught me to squat. "A** to Grass", full fange, knees in front of toes. Besides, I do have a dogdy knee and it has been doing just fine even with these squats!

Tip #5 Begin Bending at the Knee and Use A Full-Range of Motion

Begin the movement by bending at the knees, which should track in a line close to the border of the first and the second toe. You want to achieve a full-range of motion, which puts emphasis on maximum knee flexion, resulting in the knees traveling past the toes. This technique is perfectly safe for the healthy knee.

Ten Tips for A Better Back Squat: A Start-To-Finish Guide

Comment

That's a high bar back squat, so there are some subtle differences there for anyone trying to take all this in. Also he wants you to exhale coming up which I (and others) disagree with.
      "Go For Broke"
      Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
      Small Kine-168/9%
      Now- 200/8%
      Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by inesenite View Post
        I would go with the ones who say don't worry, as long as your squat form is good. I get comments from trainers and other customers at the gym when I squat - "nooo, don't do that, your knees go past your toes!". However, that's how my brilliant trainer, who is a trainee or Charles Poliquin, taught me to squat. "A** to Grass", full fange, knees in front of toes. Besides, I do have a dogdy knee and it has been doing just fine even with these squats!

Tip #5 Begin Bending at the Knee and Use A Full-Range of Motion

Begin the movement by bending at the knees, which should track in a line close to the border of the first and the second toe. You want to achieve a full-range of motion, which puts emphasis on maximum knee flexion, resulting in the knees traveling past the toes. This technique is perfectly safe for the healthy knee.

Ten Tips for A Better Back Squat: A Start-To-Finish Guide
        +1 .

Squats are a knee dominant exercise. They are meant to focus on knee extension, hence quadricep contraction.

As for breathing, you should always be breathing out on the concentric movement. In other words when you are fighting gravity (so on the way back up to standing).

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
          As for breathing, you should always be breathing out on the concentric movement. In other words when you are fighting gravity (so on the way back up to standing).
          So you recommend reducing intrathoracic pressure, which stabilizes the lower back?
          "Go For Broke"
          Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
          Small Kine-168/9%
          Now- 200/8%
          Goal- 210/6%

Comment

I actually recommend the valsalva breath which stablizes in the lowest position then expresses the breath and increases intra-abdominal pressure through out the concentric movement. But thats just me.

Comment

But the concentric portion is where stability is need the most.
              "Go For Broke"
              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
              Small Kine-168/9%
              Now- 200/8%
              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Absolutely. So while expelling the air in the concentric movement you should be squeezing the abdominal wall and forcing the breath out of your body by contracting your diaphram. This increases abdominal pressure and allows the lifter to maintain an upright and correct posture. Its pretty cool. Its a little hard to do the first little while so thats why i just suggested to breath out on the concentric movement (I should have added forcefully). It does take some training because if youre not careful and hold your breath in the botom position for too long you can actually pass out. Thats never good :-)

Comment

Using a swiss ball between your back and a wall to guide the squat helps

Comment

+1 to the "not really important" crowd. The way I see it, as long as your hips are doing what they should and your heels are firmly planted through the whole range of motion, you're good to go!
                    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                    X