No announcement yet.

Balancing leaning out vs gaining muscle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a gym membership for the summer - my tennis equals hundreds of lunges and my legs are quite large and defined. But in the fall I go back to gym and squat, dead and row.

That's the funny thing with me; my legs are lean, muscular and very strong (probably from sprinting, tennis and biking). My upper body seems to hold all the fat.

J

Comment

Yea I saw you are very active. IMO the tennis and other activities will help get you lean but if you want to build muscle you need start a proper strength training program.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Just to mention I do squat at home, as I've been following simplefit. However, because my legs are quite strong, I don't think it's having much of an impact considering I can easily do 30 to 40 proper squats without added weight. Hopefully once I get back to the gym I can work out a good strength program again. I'll focus on cutting this summer. I just don't want to lose too much muscle.

Comment

I think this is what I'm going to do;

I'm going to enter a cutting phase until September. I'll eat slightly under my maintenance levels with the intent of only losing 2-3lbs a month. During this time I will continue doing chin-ups, pull-ups, push-ups with weights and hill sprints and regular activities such as tennis and walking. I'll stick to a relatively low carb (50-75) plan and see what happens. If I lose 3-5lbs it should be enough to notice on my upper body. Hopefully I won't lose too much lean tissue.

Then, in September when I get my gym membership, I'll start a strength program that includes squats, deadlifts and an assortment of big and heavy movements.

Sound good?

J

Comment

Originally posted by Primal-J View Post
            Just to mention I do squat at home, as I've been following simplefit. However, because my legs are quite strong, I don't think it's having much of an impact considering I can easily do 30 to 40 proper squats without added weight. Hopefully once I get back to the gym I can work out a good strength program again. I'll focus on cutting this summer. I just don't want to lose too much muscle.
            Most people should be able to do 30 to 40 squats without weights especially if they are active with the exception of people with injuries. What was the last weight you squatted? Even if you have strong legs, you still need to lift heavy, you just need to decrease volume if you don't want to stimulate growth. Considering you're eating at a fat loss state, I doubt you will gain any more muscle on your thighs.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal-J View Post
              Have you tried single leg squats? You can still build a ton of strength with bodyweight exercises just by making them harder.
              Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
              X