No announcement yet.

CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This my first post ever! :-) I'm considering trying Crossfit and love reading everyone's concerns and comments. Also am going to start paleo and see how that goes. I pretty much eat paleo now, but want to try being a bit more dedicated.

Comment

Originally posted by AliceAnne View Post
      I'm glad it has worked out for you like it has! My experience has been the same - except I didn't have a bad experience to compare it to. In fact other than walking & some body weight exercises I had no real fitness backgound.

I started 2 days/week in March this year, then upped it to 3, & now I go 4-5 days/week. I still scale a lot, but I'm now able to do more & more as prescribed. It's sort of (ok it's very!) exhilerating when I learn a new skill/see strength gain - as in I screeched for joy after doing my first double under, totally shocked myself when I did my first 20" box jump, rocked the 1 pood kettlebell (started at 10lbs!) & now I'm always using the 14# ball for wall balls. Overhead heavy lifting still freaks me out but I'm not pushed to do anything I'm not comfortable with - just that I keep coming & trying & scaling as needed.

I wanted to have my pull-ups sooner but I'm getting better (using the red band now, down from the green/blue combo I started with). We'll get there!

Anyhow just wanted share sentiments. Crossfit isn't for everyone, but it has been great for me. In the context of PBP I see Crossfit as my sprinting, lift heavy things, & play (maybe I'm derranged but I think it's fun). ;o)

Take care!
      AliceAnne
      That's fabulous, AliceAnne! Congrats on the red band, and the 1 pood KB (that stuns me; I'm on 20 lbs and have a hard time imagining that I'll be strong enough to move up!) and everything else. I know what you mean about the box jump! I stopped last week and started stepping up because I have a TKD test tonight that includes a running jump off a chair; after my test, it's back to challenging myself with the jumps.
      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by angelav View Post
        This my first post ever! :-) I'm considering trying Crossfit and love reading everyone's concerns and comments. Also am going to start paleo and see how that goes. I pretty much eat paleo now, but want to try being a bit more dedicated.
        Hi, angelav! I hope that the CrossFit box you go to is the perfect match for you. If it's not, keep looking -- it may be there for you! And good for you for your dedication to paleo! You're doing the Whole30 challenge, right?

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post

I **will** do an unassisted pull up. Eventually, maybe. But I will.
          You'll get there, when I first came to my gym, I had to use the green band to do pull-ups, but within 9 months, I could do 3 unassisted pull-ups in a row, and I'm a fairly heavy person (145 lbs). Just keep challenging yourself and using thinner bands as time progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
            You'll get there, when I first came to my gym, I had to use the green band to do pull-ups, but within 9 months, I could do 3 unassisted pull-ups in a row, and I'm a fairly heavy person (145 lbs). Just keep challenging yourself and using thinner bands as time progresses.
            Thanks! I also splurged for a pullup bar, which is here in the house. I'm going to try it every day. (Did two days ago. Laughable. But one day...!)

Comment

Was anyone on this forum in the crossfit olympics??

Comment

Jackie, re: pullups... to build up to them, start by doing what I call "let-downs". Mark's blog today explains about lifting and lowering heavy things. If you can't pull up yet, use a chair or step-stool to get in the up position, then sloooowly lower yourself down. The eccentric action helps build strength!

Comment

Originally posted by The Return of Dado View Post
                  Was anyone on this forum in the crossfit olympics??
                  I watched it, does that count?

Comment

Working...
                  X