They're called workouts, not funouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're called workouts, not funouts

Here's a little thing I wrote about putting "fun" in its place as it applies to exercise.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/fit-m...05965139416884

Hey, having fun is a big part of being a healthy Grok, but don't let the tail wag the dog.
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Having read your article I agree with what you have put. However the problem is that people today face a different sort of pressure and competition in their everyday lives than Grok did. Competition in daily living may not ever reach the intense life threatening levels Grok may have faced, but it is far more constant than in Groks existence I'm sure......as a consequence people are searching for fun wherever they can find it....which is often only in their free, leisure time...their exercise time. What many, except the truly committed aren't looking for is even more stress.....

Comment

Just guessing from your heading.....in that case thought this is why I only "workout" with HIT 1x/week. I like the rest of my activities to be fun outs.

Comment

I like your point about learning to actually take pleasure in workouts. While they may not always be "fun" in the way most people think of it, one can take a lot of satisfaction in getting fitter and healthier, and you can find yourself liking activity even when it is sometimes hard.

I also think we need to shift our idea of what's fun. Dancing, bouncing around the yard with the dogs, swinging on the rope at the pool with my niece and nephews, biking with my sweetie--all that stuff is fun, and it's way better than the TV. I see watching a movie as relaxation, not playtime. Play is an active verb. It's something you do, not something that should just happen to you.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

After working out for so many years, I've noticed I have conditioned myself to positively associate workouts with feeling good. I workout to feel good. If im feeling sluggish or 'down' an hour or so at the gym I have learned pulls me out.
          My Youtube Health and Fitness Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dcdhealthfitness

Will be making more videos weekly.

Comment

The post-workout "high" definitely helps with that psychological conditioning!
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I like the results of working out... but heavy deadlifts are never fun. And even less fun are 20 rep squats. But they are awesome in there own special way
              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly
                Sorry I'll have to read that later. I was too busy having a funout.

With your mom.
                Ah yes... these never get old.

"Finding new and preferably disgusting ways to degrade a friend's mother was always held in high regard."
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                  I like the results of working out... but heavy deadlifts are never fun. And even less fun are 20 rep squats. But they are awesome in there own special way
                  Heavy deads are the funnest thing ever. But maybe that's just me.

I'm with you on the 20-rep squats though.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                    Heavy deads are the funnest thing ever. But maybe that's just me.

I'm with you on the 20-rep squats though.
                    Yeah, For me it's the rep before the last rep. I slam it down and resetting thinking "Fuuuuuuuuuck, I got one more of these".

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                      Yeah, For me it's the rep before the last rep. I slam it down and resetting thinking "Fuuuuuuuuuck, I got one more of these".
                      And then the next day, my adductors are killing me, so I feel like I'm walking like a cowboy in a cheesy western. That's when I repeat my personal fitness mantra, "It's good for me...it's good for me."*

*my other fitness mantra is pulled out during brutal metcons and is based in my Dory philosophy of surviving workouts: "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming..."

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm confused... Do you believe that enjoying working out is wrong or using fun as an excuse to slack off is wrong? Because I decided long ago that summer is the time for fun, not boredom.

Of course I enjoy going as fast as I can and climbing trees so I guess I'm good anyway.
                        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I'm somewhat confused as to your point but if you're complaining that "the #1 selling point of most any fitness program/idea is... fun" then I disagree. If a currently unfit friend was choosing whether to join a softball team (which they thought they would enjoy), or join a gym (which they know they won't enjoy), I'd say softball every time.
                          It's only a small % of people who have the willpower/motivation to go from zero to painful workouts and not quit. Better to do less, enjoy more and build fitness progressively over time than do a workout or two then quit (which is what most folks do).

I absolutely put my long term success and sticking-to-it of both my diet (primal), and exercise program (boot camp) because I enjoy them. No diet or exercise plan I ever tried that I didn't enjoy stuck.

So when marketing to the unfit, fun is absolutely the most important thing when starting out. But it has to be real movement and non Wii-fit fake movement.
                          If you're already active, then a pain/results equation becomes more viable.

Comment

A simple workout and diet plan can work wonders. So marketing anything that perpetuates beliefs otherwise is only to make money, but unfortunately also contributes to the worsening of the obesity epidemic.

Aside from that, while fun isn't necessary for achieving a good body, it is really good for the mind. So for that reason I am becoming a big believer in play.

Workout efficiently and don't waste time. And go do some real playing on your free time.

Comment

Working very hard and having fun are not mutually exclusive. It all has a lot to do with attitudes towards exercise and activity.
                              Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                              Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                              The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                              Brute Force Sandbags
                              www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                              http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Working...
                              X