No announcement yet.

Clapping Chin-ups. How many can you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clapping Chin-ups. How many can you do?

I just wanted to encourage those who haven't tried it yet to give it a whirl. They're really fun! I can do about ten before I'm afraid I'll hurt my shoulders and stop.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

wow, 10?? i can do.. ummm let me count, 0.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

this goes in my muscle-up category. looks cool, but higher risk of injury; benefit?

Comment

I get the injury risk on this one, but what's the danger of muscle-ups? I guess you could whack your head on the ceiling or something...
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Oh, and I'll answer the original question once my elbow heals up. I answered the question of whether I can do 1-handed chin-ups with my good wing last night and it was a resounding NO, so I have some new, fun mini-goals.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

So how many regular chin-ups can you do, Knifegill?
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              I get the injury risk on this one, but what's the danger of muscle-ups? I guess you could whack your head on the ceiling or something...
              muscle ups absolutely kill my rotator cuffs. i can feel the pain as i do even one. same thing with high pulls/upright rows. i may just be sensitive for that one, as i know that plenty of people do them without issue.

Comment

So how many regular chin-ups can you do, Knifegill?
                Just 20, but the first 18 I'm feeling invincible. My muscles are WEIRD. I seem to have an easy time gaining strength at low reps, but have a VERY hard time getting my total reps up at all. I mean, how many other guys do you know who can do a one-armed chin-up, but only 20 normal chin-ups? It's just odd.

Looking for somebody to lift people up onto a pedestal all day? Find somebody else or PUMP me full of electrolytes and mustard, and pray the cramps come later instead of during the work. But if you are losing your footing on a steep surface, I'm the guy you want grabbing you to pull you up.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                  this goes in my muscle-up category. looks cool, but higher risk of injury; benefit?
                  Yeah, this seems like a really great way to tear something up.
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

muscle ups absolutely kill my rotator cuffs.
                    You need to propel yourself higher in the pull-up part, then push down with your tricep before rotating your wrist. This'll alleviate the rotator cuff pain.
                    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Comment

Originally posted by NicMcCool View Post
                      You need to propel yourself higher in the pull-up part, then push down with your tricep before rotating your wrist. This'll alleviate the rotator cuff pain.
                      this. it's actually easier to achieve this using rings instead of a bar

Comment

Originally posted by NicMcCool View Post
                        that may be the issue! i think momentum would help.

Comment

that may be the issue! i think momentum would help.
                          Oh yeah. Momentum is huge for me. The first rep is actually harder for me than subsequent reps, although I try to keep the kip/leg swing to a minimum.

Knifegill - Interesting comment about the 1-armed chins vs. only 20 regular chins.

I always think it's weird that my best set of muscle-ups is 9 and my best set of traditional pull-ups is only 18. Might be partly because I'm a stickler for dead hang on the traditional pull-ups.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Define dead-hang. I probably do that if it means not wiggling at all and opening the arms all the way, or almost all the way, each rep.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

starting every rep hanging from the bar with straight arms, so that all reps have the same ROM as the first. it's only yourself you cheating if you do it any different.

Comment

Working...
                              X