Sprint volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprint volume

I'd like to gauge the various volumes (distance/duration, reps, frequency) that people here sprint at.

I think I may have taken the short-sharp idea a bit too far.

Depending on the patch of grass at hand mine are probably only 70-80m long, and I do maybe 4 of them.
    Thinking it should be a bit more on both counts.

Hey Mike,

I'm not sure if my sprint structure would apply to actual running sprints as I do mine on a stationary bike, but I typically perform 8 to 10 reps with 30 second sprints and 60 second rest periods.

I just started this structure about a month ago, and my goal is to increase my output at each sprint session. Currently I'm accomplishing that by adding an additional sprint each week. Once I reach a total sprint time of 20 minutes, I plan on increasing output by either lessening my rest periods or lengthening my sprint periods. Hope this helps!

ZZ

Comment

I generally alternate between 50 and 100 meters (approximately). I don't normally count my runs anymore...depending on the distance and how I feel I do anywhere from 5 to 12. On occasion I do a couple 400-800 meter runs, 2-5x.
      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

I probably run more than most PB's, and more than is recommended for fitness; but it's part of the job for me.

100m Sprints x 10
        400m Sprint Repeats x 2.5 miles
        800m Sprint Repeats x 3 miles

and usually a 5-8K run somewhere.

Note this is not recommend for Primal Blueprint, nor am I making any recommendations other than to sprint and have fun.
        "Go For Broke"
        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
        Small Kine-168/9%
        Now- 200/8%
        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll aim for at least 500m cumulatively per session.

Wanderlust — is that your weekly load? Also, what is a repeat? (i.e. is there a specific rest between runs?)

Comment

Yeah that's my average week. I use a 800m track, so for an 800m repeat I sprint one lap, then recover one lap and repeat. 400m repeat would be sprint 400m recover 400m and repeat.

EvRev has a nice sprint plan, 50-100mm sprints are good. Do them uphill for extra fun.
            "Go For Broke"
            Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
            Small Kine-168/9%
            Now- 200/8%
            Goal- 210/6%

Comment

My typical weekly running:

-8 Sprints(~15 seconds, all-out, uphill)
              -Either 6-8 400m intervals or 3-4 800m intervals(on a separate day)
              -Some weeks I'll throw in a moderately-paced 5k or so as well.

The goal behind the above is increasing my speed at distances of 1 mile or less, and doing decently at the 5k distance.

Comment

i do 10-12 sprints that are 100-120 yards on flat grass (soccer field) with maybe a minute or two between dashes. i'll shorten the distance a bit if i'm on hills.
                that's once per week, with a few other sprints thrown in when i get the chance (usually while out walking the dog).
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

i sprint 75 yards. no more than 10 times. and no more than once a week. occasionally i will go to a local soccer field and do 120 yard sprints, but only 5-6 of those once i'm warmed up.

Comment

I sprint for 15-20 full breaths in and out. However far that gets me. By then I'm slowing down. Last time I did it 8 times. Made it about 2/3 of the rounded edge of the baseball field, however far that is.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

10 seconds with 20 seconds rest. 10 times. Apparently, 10 on 20 off is statistically proven to get you into the "cardio/endurance" zone.

Comment

1 x per week I do a 1-mile warm up followed by 8x200m sprints with a jog back after each finished with a 1- mile cool down.
                        4 x per week I do tabata intervals on a stationary bike. 20 seconds all out followed by 10 seconds rest for 10 sets, 5-minutes total. My legs burn after it. I seem to get my self to go harder on the bike than I'm able to run sprint.

Comment

Working...
                        X