Where are all the squats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the squats?

Despite being touted as the best, most important excercise ever, I've been to two gyms now and I'm the only person I've ever seen doing them. The same goes for deadlifts too. What's the deal?

Do you really need to ask? The average person in the gym knows nothing about effective physical training.

To paraphrase Mark Rippetoe, wandering around a gym, trying different machines on a whim and not keeping any records, is not training. But that is exactly what most people do.

Comment

I'm simply not flexible and coordinated enough yet to perform a squat, and I'm just not going to embarrass myself by doing medicine ball wall squats ._.

Once I've dropped weight, I'll try to get into it, though.

“The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Even if there are people at the gym who want to do squats, they are often forced to find alternative methods/exercises because of the Douchebag Three who insist on using the squat rack to do bicep curls and upright rows....... *****ggggrrrrrrrr****

Comment

Or they take one look at you and say "No, you want the Power Sculpting class. You can hurt yourself with barbells." Which would be why I was asking about a personal trainer to begin with . . . . >

Comment

Good question...probably for the same reasons you rarely see people doing deadlifts or power cleans.

There are a group of people that simply have no idea that crunches and barbell curls do nothing for you. Then there is the group that probably knows the big exercises are what they should be doing, but they haven't taken the leap to ask somebody to instruct them, so they're intimidated by the lifts. You also have the group that doesn't care what's best for your body. They want to work on their vanity muscles like pecs, biceps, triceps, calves, etc. A powerful core from "knees to nipples" as I call it isn't considered sexy so why would you waste time doing something to improve it? I'd vehemently disagree with that thought however. A guy with big biceps and no ass to hold his jeans up is about the most ridiculous looking thing in the world.

I neglected deadlifts for a long time because I didn't know proper technique. One day at a gym while traveling, I pulled a big trainer aside and asked him to show me. By the time we were done about 5 other people had come up to listen because they all had the same questions but were ashamed to admit they didn't know. If you haven't yet, take the leap and learn the big lifts...your body will thank you!

Comment

I would say it's because squats are exhausting.

Can't do 30 mins of cardio after squats.

Comment

Please don't listen to the advice above haha!

The squat racks at my gym are busy enough! It's hard to get a squat in edge-wise already haha!

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

@chima_p

Yeah, but mostly because of those nimrods doing curls and shrugs--it's called a "Squat Rack," people!

OTOH this has meant that I have found alternative ways to torture myself: goblet squats, dumb bell squats (great for the delts when your short arms have to hold the weights out from your hips), single-leg pistol squats and Bulgarian Split Squats (done with full range of motion and not cheating weight onto the back leg, these are the most evil thing in the universe for me).

Comment

Good ideas Mite. Another suggestion is to try Thrusters. Grab the heaviest dumbells that you can do overhead presses with for a few reps. Hold them at shoulder level, do a full squat, as you rise from the squat press the dumbells straight overhead. That's a thruster, and it's brutally hard.

Comment

Get Primal, I use Thrusters for Tabatas. Had to get myself a Gym Boss interval timer because it was impossible to see the clock through the sweat in my eyes. Then I had to set the volume real loud so I could hear the ***** beeping over the blood pounding in my ears and my gasping for air like a gutted trout.

Comment

Seriously.

You never see people squatting, doing deads, pendaly rows, weighted pullups, cleans.

Plenty of bench press and curls though... lol.

Comment

I agree. Most people don't know how to squat, or they just do quarter squats and call it a squat. Kinda sad really. JUst a waste of time.

Goblet squats are great. I also agree with the Bulgarian Split Squats. Great for working on imbalances which most people have, including myself.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

arthur, that's because most folks can only be bothered to work the "mirror muscles" (like the biceps and chesticles).

Yeah, quads are "mirror muscles" but, hey, squats hurt! Which is also why you never see anybody doing step-ups or lunges either.

Speaking of hurt--do Snatch Grip Deadlifts by loading up an Olympic bar with the small 25lb plates (so you don't need to do these off a platform) and use as wide a grip as possible. I call these "Fred Sanfords" because that's what I walk like for the next 48 hours (guaranteed killer DOMS from the extreme range-of-motion).

Comment

I did yard work Saturday and Sunday.

Squat down, pull up weed, stand up, walk over and toss into trash can, go hunt and gather another weed, repeat for a few hours two days in a row. Weed squats?

Thighs, butt, hips, and to lesser degree, lower back and abdominals are all hurt'in today, I can hardly walk.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                              —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X