Just bought a kettlebell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a kettlebell

How many times per week would you recommend a kettlebell workout? I'm starting with 10lbs. I'm thinking of taking it to the park during my hour lunch break and using it there.

I think that would depend on your recovery. You could use it every lift day if you're not sore or do different lifts each workout day with it. They're so versatile. From swings to snatches to pushups, there's all sorts of different ways you can change it up with them.
    Last edited by pace2race; 06-16-2012, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks! I want to do it every day! I love hurling heavy things in my backyard- I pretend I'm hurling at various people

Comment

10lbs? I thought most women started with at least 18lbs. I seriously think 10lbs might be too light for you, especially for swings. You could probably do getups and presses with that weight but you'll outgrow it quickly. It has been suggested in various places that for swings most people benefit from a KB about 30% of their weight.

In "Enter the Kettlebell" the introductory workout called the Program Minimum calls for four weekly workouts, 2 of getups and 2 of swings.

Comment

No, trust me, 10lbs, is plenty heavy for me!! My wrists are so small that I can wrap my fingers around one, with two inches to spare. My legs are strong, my arms are weak sticks!

Comment

10lbs is puny!!!

CrossFit Kettlebell Swings - YouTube

That's how you do kettle bell swings properly. Ignore the shitty music.
            A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
              No, trust me, 10lbs, is plenty heavy for me!! My wrists are so small that I can wrap my fingers around one, with two inches to spare. My legs are strong, my arms are weak sticks!
              No like the other guy said it is kind of puny, especially for swings. I don't see how you'll get much impact at all from swings with that.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                No like the other guy said it is kind of puny, especially for swings. I don't see how you'll get much impact at all from swings with that.
                Women's tendons and ligaments are much more flexible than men's, thus dynamic movements with weights can feel uncomfortable and wrong, and run the risk of damaging them. So it's prudent for women to build up slowly, from what they feel comfortable with. Muscle strength is often not the limiting factor.

I have hypermobile joints and 8 lbs is all I can manage with kettlebell swings. I don't do them anymore. This is not because I'm puny - it's just that isolation exercises with weights work much better for me and I can lift a lot more in those.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I started with 15 lbs and there are some motions I can't do with it, so I can understand why you'd start with 10. I do quick workouts (10-20 min) with my kettlebell just a few times a week and have noticed some muscle definition (starting with basically none and fairly low bf %).
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    I started with 15 lbs and there are some motions I can't do with it, so I can understand why you'd start with 10. I do quick workouts (10-20 min) with my kettlebell just a few times a week and have noticed some muscle definition (starting with basically none and fairly low bf %).
                    Very encouraging! I have, zero strength, so I'm starting slow

Comment

You could probably stand to do swings every day as long as your form is dialed in (seek the advice of a trainer) and not pushing the limits of your ability.
                      http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Comment

If you do them properly Kettlebell swings are only supposed to really work out your lower body and core (i.e. legs, glutes, abs and the like). I can't speak to the issues raised by paleo bunny, but if your arms are really tired after kettlebell swings you are probably doing them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by young.glass View Post
                          If you do them properly Kettlebell swings are only supposed to really work out your lower body and core (i.e. legs, glutes, abs and the like). I can't speak to the issues raised by paleo bunny, but if your arms are really tired after kettlebell swings you are probably doing them wrong.
                          True Mr. Glass, the swing is not a squat to front raise!
                          http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                            Women's tendons and ligaments are much more flexible than men's, thus dynamic movements with weights can feel uncomfortable and wrong, and run the risk of damaging them. So it's prudent for women to build up slowly, from what they feel comfortable with. Muscle strength is often not the limiting factor.

I have hypermobile joints and 8 lbs is all I can manage with kettlebell swings. I don't do them anymore. This is not because I'm puny - it's just that isolation exercises with weights work much better for me and I can lift a lot more in those.
                            If it is uncomfortable that some joint pain ensues during swings, then I would not them. If this is not the case, then swings (I'm not talking about getups or presses) with a 10lb weight is really extremely light. My six year old daughter (about 50lbs) can pick up in deadlift form my 35lb kettlebell for multiple reps and can hold in a rack an 18lb one, with barely any coaching from me--she is too young for swings though. 10lbs is so close to so many things one has to port around in life (a gallon of milk, a jug of laundry detergent, bag of groceries, two bottles of wine, heck my youngest daughter weighted 8lbs when she was born, etc.) that if you have problems with that I would be concerned about that there may be some other issues, possibly endocrinological, holding you back.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                              If it is uncomfortable that some joint pain ensues during swings, then I would not them. If this is not the case, then swings (I'm not talking about getups or presses) with a 10lb weight is really extremely light. My six year old daughter (about 50lbs) can pick up in deadlift form my 35lb kettlebell for multiple reps and can hold in a rack an 18lb one, with barely any coaching from me--she is too young for swings though. 10lbs is so close to so many things one has to port around in life (a gallon of milk, a jug of laundry detergent, bag of groceries, two bottles of wine, heck my youngest daughter weighted 8lbs when she was born, etc.) that if you have problems with that I would be concerned about that there may be some other issues, possibly endocrinological, holding you back.
                              why does it bother you so much that I want to start with 10 lbs? I do have recurring tendonitis, and wear a brace when performing repetitive movements. Are you a doctor? My doc is the one who recommended I take it easy. It's my body, not yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X