Lifting Heavy for a beginner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting Heavy for a beginner

first off i cant afford a trainer or gym membership but i have access to equipment. I'm a beginner to lifting (haven't lift since middle school) 135lbs trying to gain weight and muscle
    I need some advice,tips, HELP on lifting heavy (Squats, Dead lift, Presses) and any others you guys suggest... i was wanting to now how much weight I should start off with and how much should i increase it overtime?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by Brolic Prim View Post
    first off i cant afford a trainer or gym membership but i have access to equipment. I'm a beginner to lifting (haven't lift since middle school) 135lbs trying to gain weight and muscle
    I need some advice,tips, HELP on lifting heavy (Squats, Dead lift, Presses) and any others you guys suggest... i was wanting to now how much weight I should start off with and how much should i increase it overtime?
    Thanks!
    https://www.facebook.com/CongruentExercise

Dr. Mercola Interviews Doug McGuff about High Intensity Exercise - YouTube

Comment

Buy this book: Amazon.com: Starting Strength, 3rd edition (9780982522738): Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: Books
      $10 for the ebook.
      "Go For Broke"
      Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
      Small Kine-168/9%
      Now- 200/8%
      Goal- 210/6%

Comment

I second Wanderlusts's recommendation. Rippetoe knows his stuff. It would also be helpful to have a training partner familiar with the lifts or failing that, take a video of you doing the lifts and post them here or on another lifting forum. Use light weights and progress very slowly until you have your form NAILED DOWN. It will pay off in the long run.

Comment

What equipment do you have access to?
          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
          Brute Force Sandbags
          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
            This x1000.

Eat.
            Squat, bench, deadlift, press, and clean.
            Eat a lot more.
            Rinse.
            Repeat.
            I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Comment

I apologize for the fact that nobody's said this yet, but Congratulations on making an awesome decision that will change your life.

+1 on Starting Strength. Whether you buy the book or google the information contained therein, it's the program for you.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

You might also want to pick up the SS DVD. You should definitely read the book, but the video gives you visuals you just can't get with the book.
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Jim wendlers 5/3/1, progress slow, watch you tube videos on proper form.

Comment

Another option is StrongLifts- very simple and basic, no crazy math, no trying to figure out what your 1 Rep Max actually is.

Start with the bar. Do 5 sets of 5 reps with the bar. Next time you do that exercise, add 5 pounds. Too easy. Videos all over youtube. Three exercises per workout, two workouts that you alternate.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
                      Jim wendlers 5/3/1, progress slow, watch you tube videos on proper form.
                      Definitely not this. Wendler's 531 is not for beginners. You'd miss out on a lot of easy gains most lifters get in the first two years. You need to follow a linear progression program. Follow Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by greenshady View Post
                        Definitely not this. Wendler's 531 is not for beginners. You'd miss out on a lot of easy gains most lifters get in the first two years. You need to follow a linear progression program. Follow Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
                        You should be nearing your genetic potential in 2 years.

Comment

You might also want to pick up the SS DVD.
                          +1 on this if (like me) you don't have a training partner. I found the videos incredibly helpful.

Comment

Yep, get Starting Strength and keep a detailed training journal.
                            http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Comment

dumbbells...for right now

Comment

Working...
                              X