Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabata Rows?

Hi all,

Any opinion on replacing Tabata sprints with Tabata rows? I have Achilles tendinitis from chronic jogging (which I stopped!) so hesitant to do any kind of running/sprinting but happy to do rowing as an alternative if its just as effective?

Thanks in advance.

i would say that rowing is probably better than sprinting, since you can reach a high level of intensity faster, so go for it. and consider hopping on a bike too.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

You talking about on a Concept 2 rower? Works great if you can even keep it up for the full 4 minutes. I usually can't. Oh, and you have to keep pulling constantly during the 20 second rest period or the clock will stop.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Have you thought about trying tabata burpees? That's usually what I do. If the jumping portion of the burpee irritates your tendonitis, you can skip it. The most important thing is to keep the intensity as high as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          You talking about on a Concept 2 rower? Works great if you can even keep it up for the full 4 minutes. I usually can't. Oh, and you have to keep pulling constantly during the 20 second rest period or the clock will stop.
          You should be able to program intervals on the Concept 2. The ones at my gym have that option.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57201.html

^discussed there

Comment

Any opinion on replacing Tabata sprints with Tabata rows?
              Yes, I've been doing them on my Concept 2 for a few months now. Really challenging workout, and I've noticed a significant improvement in my aerobic fitness.

Oh, and you have to keep pulling constantly during the 20 second rest period or the clock will stop.
              The rest interval is 10s you idle slacker!! But yes, I row (gently) rather than stop for this time.

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post

The rest interval is 10s you idle slacker!! But yes, I row (gently) rather than stop for this time.
                Whoops. I do actually know the Tabata protocol. My brain must be failing me this afternoon due to some sort of saturated fatty acid deficiency. I promise to eat much butter after this evening's squat/deadlift/bench press/chinup session.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have just started to play with a concept 2 and I have been messing with 1k, 500m, 240m and doing tabata's would be a crazy good workout....thank you for the idea!!!

Comment

I never managed to maintain this, mainly because I need to go to the gym to do the rowing and the gym is an hour away. And going just for the row is difficult to justify. Can I do tabata at home with no equipment? For example pushups or star-jumps?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks.

Comment

Ohmygawsh, I love tabata rows. In a masochistic way.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by solomani View Post
                        I never managed to maintain this, mainly because I need to go to the gym to do the rowing and the gym is an hour away. And going just for the row is difficult to justify. Can I do tabata at home with no equipment? For example pushups or star-jumps?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks.

The study documenting the improvements compared to steady state exercise was done on a stationary bike and had a warm up and cool down. Google it for the details. The interval of 20" max effort and 10" rest for 8 sets has been paired with all sorts of exercises and weights. Try it, and change it up. It's great when you don't have as much time or don't have access to the usual equipment. Just another way to get it done.

Comment

I've done it and its exhausting. Make sure it is the last exercise you do.

Comment

Originally posted by phigment View Post
                            I've done it and its exhausting. Make sure it is the last exercise you do.
                            ever?
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I added tabata rows to the end of my weight-lifting workout today. Loved them
                              "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Working...
                              X