Starting Strength Bench Stall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Strength Bench Stall

So I have stalled, deloaded, and stalled again at the same weight as before. Should I deload one more time and try again?

I am thinking of upping the weight and going for 3 or 5 sets of 3. Once I go up 10 or 15 pounds, I will go back to the 3 sets of 5 at the stalled weight to see if that will break the plateau. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Every other lift is going up so I don't think it is a diet or sleep thing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Justin

Have you tried microloading?

Comment

+1 to microloading but you might need to deload again. If you don't have microplates and don't want to spend the big bucks for them get large (2") washers. I bought 8 for $10. They work out to about 300g each so a pair is 600g which is about 1.3lbs.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

I have not tried microloading. I was adding 5 lbs each workout. I will look into the washers. Thanks

Comment

If you do deload again. I found it helpful to do as many reps as I could in the final set of three (rather than just 5). Then when I got back up to my previous stall weight it went right up for 3 sets of 5. Then continue as normal from there.

Comment

Okay great, will do. Is 10% deload the norm? For example, I am stuck at 195, I should deload down to 175?

Comment

Sometimes just going ahead and upping the weight works. Really could just be a mental block that you gotta get through.

Proportionately would the bench not be activating a smaller portion of muscle mass vs. most your other lifts? The way I look at it this would be why you could stall on the bench before you do on the other lifts.

Comment

Makes sense to me. I was thinking it was mental block.

Comment

+1 on microloading.

other random thoughts (in no particular order): what is your lifting experience? what is your food intake like? where are you at in terms of body composition? i mean, are you super lean, are you in the process of losing lots of weight, etc? all of those things could play a role in this stall

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                    +1 on microloading.

other random thoughts (in no particular order): what is your lifting experience? what is your food intake like? where are you at in terms of body composition? i mean, are you super lean, are you in the process of losing lots of weight, etc? all of those things could play a role in this stall
                    I am about 3 months in to the program. Before that, I did bodyweight stuff for about 9 months. Haven't really lifted since high school so it has been about 8 years.

I don't track my food intake but I would say I get about 2,000 calories on rest days and closer to 2,500 to 3,000 on workout days.

I am not super lean. I have lost 70 pounds but could probably still lose about 20 more to be lean. I haven't lost any weight since starting this lifting program and I have been fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep1824 View Post
                      I am about 3 months in to the program. Before that, I did bodyweight stuff for about 9 months. Haven't really lifted since high school so it has been about 8 years.

I don't track my food intake but I would say I get about 2,000 calories on rest days and closer to 2,500 to 3,000 on workout days.

I am not super lean. I have lost 70 pounds but could probably still lose about 20 more to be lean. I haven't lost any weight since starting this lifting program and I have been fine with that.
                      so for all intents and purposes, you're still pretty new to heavy lifting. thats cool. another question, have you stalled on any other lift yet?

i know it sounds annoying, but you could always try tracking intake a little bit, even if it is for a week or two, just so you can get a better idea of what you are actually taking in. at some point in time, you just can't get any stronger without growing some more muscle, and if you aren't providing adequate building blocks, you just can't grow.

Comment

Yes, still pretty new. No other lifts have stalled. I am deloading on overhead press because some form issues are giving me back pain but moving up other than that.

Comment

What's your height/weight/age? What are all your lifts at currently?

One thing that has helped me A LOT on my bench is 1) tighten your whole body during the lift. 2) I grab the bar as tightly as possible. I squeeze the bar like it stole from me 3) Arching the back (chest up) during the lift as much as possible. No, this isn't cheating as long as you keep your butt on the bench. If it doesn't feel completely wacky like you're exaggerating the heck out of it, you're not doing it enough.
                          Last edited by PLee1980; 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM.
                          SW: 12/28/11 - 190.5 @ 24% BF
                          CW: 3/7/12 - 179 @ 21% BF
                          GW: 155-160 @ 10% BF

Comment

And drive your feet into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by PLee1980 View Post
                              What's your height/weight/age? What are all your lifts at currently?

One thing that has helped me A LOT on my bench is 1) tighten your whole body during the lift. 2) I grab the bar as tightly as possible. I squeeze the bar like it stole from me 3) Arching the back (chest up) during the lift as much as possible. No, this isn't cheating as long as you keep your butt on the bench. If it doesn't feel completely wacky like you're exaggerating the heck out of it, you're not doing it enough.
                              I will give this a try. I am 185 lbs, 5'-11" and 27 years old.

My current weights are:
                              Squat: 280 3x5
                              OHP: 120 3x5 (I was at 135 but deloaded due to some form issues I need to correct)
                              Deadlift: 300 1x5 (Out of weights, buying some more this week)
                              Bench: 195 5,5,4
                              Power Clean: 175 3x5

Comment

Working...
                              X