No announcement yet.

Starting Strength Bench Stall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also throw in weighted chinups/pullups every other workout and pushups when not doing chinups/pullups

Comment

I'd try microloading, just as the others said.

I struggled on the bench until I really learned to tighten up, arch the back, and squeeze the bar. I was struggling to do 155 at the time (only a few weeks ago). I'm at 185 for 5x3 now and will blow through that. It made all the difference for me.

My squat is only at 225 and my OHP only 105 the rest of my lifts are quite a bit less than yours as well. I'm about your same size and age too, a little shorter, 5'9"

Originally posted by Shep1824 View Post
      I will give this a try. I am 185 lbs, 5'-11" and 27 years old.

My current weights are:
      Squat: 280 3x5
      OHP: 120 3x5 (I was at 135 but deloaded due to some form issues I need to correct)
      Deadlift: 300 1x5 (Out of weights, buying some more this week)
      Bench: 195 5,5,4
      Power Clean: 175 3x5
      SW: 12/28/11 - 190.5 @ 24% BF
      CW: 3/7/12 - 179 @ 21% BF
      GW: 155-160 @ 10% BF

Comment

Originally posted by PLee1980 View Post
        I'd try microloading, just as the others said.

I struggled on the bench until I really learned to tighten up, arch the back, and squeeze the bar. I was struggling to do 155 at the time (only a few weeks ago). I'm at 185 for 5x3 now and will blow through that. It made all the difference for me.

My squat is only at 225 and my OHP only 105 the rest of my lifts are quite a bit less than yours as well. I'm about your same size and age too, a little shorter, 5'9"
        Thanks. I am really thinking it is a form issue. I need to figure it out, I am experimenting with different foot locations, hand widths, etc. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

smitty from the diesel crew has an excellent video on their youtube page. lemme find it for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vUcjOIZc80c

in general, smitty and jed are second to none in terms of form, rehabilitation, prehab, etc
          Last edited by not on the rug; 06-14-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Awesome video! Thanks. That helps a lot. I will focus on those points and try to determine if it is a form issue. I am pretty sure it is.

Comment

nice. and be sure to check out their entire youtube page. their shoulder warmup and shoulder prehab/rehab videos have really helped me a ton. and once anyone starts moving serious weight around, the shoulders are the first things to give out. take care of your shoulders

Comment

Change up your program. If you've been doing the same thing for 3 months your body has become used to the lift. change it up and go back in another 4-6 weeks. Always make sure you're lifting maximally but definitely time for a change.

Comment

I didn't see anyone mentioning this, but where exactly are you stalling in the lift? You may have a stick point that needs focus.
                  I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Comment

I am going to give a bit of different advice. Continue the other lifts and do not bench for seven to ten days. Up your food intake. Seriously put on two to five pounds in the week to ten days. Hit the bench workout again with the for advice already given. You will rock It and bust through the sticking point with some rest and bodyweight. Don't stop the other lifts just stop the bench on Monday and skip mon we'd grid mon we'd and. Hit that bench the following Friday with some weight and rest. If you don't bust through back off but I don't think you will need it. Eat a brisket and potatoes man eat!
                    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Working...
                    X