Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longterm side effects of barefoot walking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term side effect of barefoot walking and running is an increase in ball size.

Comment

If you have not done the transition to 'barefoot running', aka running on your forefoot, then chances are that you're still running on your heels even if you take your shoes off. Repeatedly landing on your heels on concrete, without any padded shoes to take the impact for you = bad.

You will also attract injury if you don't slowly build up your muscles, and just go from full-time shoes to full-time barefoot. These are two realistic worries, and it's possible that your girlfriend is referring to any of these. But if you use some knowledge and common sense to avoid issues such as these, then I would not worry. The heel/forefoot running is a controversial question, but I'd throw my two cents in with these guys everyday. As long as you avoid stepping on sharp shit, you're fine.

Comment

I've mashed up one of my toes to the point of going for xrays thinking it was broken. Turns out it's just connective tissue. Still not going to wear shoes if I don't have to

Comment

Originally posted by Reindeer View Post
          If you have not done the transition to 'barefoot running', aka running on your forefoot, then chances are that you're still running on your heels even if you take your shoes off. Repeatedly landing on your heels on concrete, without any padded shoes to take the impact for you = bad.

You will also attract injury if you don't slowly build up your muscles, and just go from full-time shoes to full-time barefoot. These are two realistic worries, and it's possible that your girlfriend is referring to any of these. But if you use some knowledge and common sense to avoid issues such as these, then I would not worry. The heel/forefoot running is a controversial question, but I'd throw my two cents in with these guys everyday. As long as you avoid stepping on sharp shit, you're fine.
          To put my transition into VFF's into context, the entire extent of any pain exhibited was completely negligible and existed completely within my baby toe on my left foot. Toe stroking while actually running, well sprinting barefoot came as natural to me as breathing, buy I can't barefoot "jog"for lack of a better term. My natural gait is the same speed as the average joggers jogging speed, minus the while bouncing up and down bit. It's because when indoors I was/am barefoot as often as possible. I was simply trying to put her and her mothers concerns at rest. Sadly I'm to PR to be called eccentric I have to deal with being called nuts. Lol

Comment

Long term damage of being barefoot: You will never find a pair of shoes other than flip-flops that will fit. It also might take many weeks for the deep-down dirt in the heel cracks and toe crevices to disappear if you have been walking out on the dusty.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Concrete Indian View Post
              I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to have someone run a finger across the bottom of my foot and not want to kick them involuntarilly)
              A practice you indulge in regularly? lol
              Ecommerce and Webdesign Agency
              www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Primal" to tin@nowaydesign.com and get a Discount.

Comment

Originally posted by gorski View Post
                A practice you indulge in regularly? lol
                No, but considering my s/o can't run her fingers across several parts of my body without me spasming involuntarily it's nice to have one led place she can torture me with

Comment

The best part of barefooting is feeling like I did when I was a kid. I never wore shoes and trekked all over our property - through ice plant, concrete, rocks, asphalt and dirt (much of which my dad claims gave me huge feet as it was generally around our horse corrals and full of horse sh**.) Yes, I have big feet for a 5'3" female, but I just consider them to be a good foundation. But it is true as to shoes not always fitting . . . I have to wear heels to work and they just about kill me. I repeatedly slip them off at work and walk around our building barefoot with some coworkers. And at the end of the day, I'm back to barefoot or wearing my Vibrams if I have to go to the store. :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X