Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sitting all day at your job, how to prevent lower back pain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not yet mentioned -- to aid in the good posture advice, check the height of your PC monitor. If the screen is low, put stuff under it so the top of the screen is up at eye level. If you work on a laptop, buy a cheap keyboard so you can type with hands at a comfortable level.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Anyone have any good recommendations on a not too expensive standing desk for a home office?
      "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

Comment

Some really good suggestions here.
        Thought I'd mention Dr. Eric Goodman's foundation training too. It's really helped me with my bulging disc and rotated vertebra:

I've been doing this routine 1st thing in the morning and then throughout the day when my lower back starts to get tight from sitting.

Also +1 for the kettlebell swings (though not recommended to do without professional training if you already have a back injury) and especially turkish get ups, the TGUs are a very corrective movement which pretty much strengthens your whole body and improves alignment etc. even when done with very light/no weights. If performed with the high hip bridge, the TGU is especially good for strengthening your lower back and the supporting girdle of muscles and are another thing that I've found very helpful in recovery.
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
          Some really good suggestions here.
          Thought I'd mention Dr. Eric Goodman's foundation training too. It's really helped me with my bulging disc and rotated vertebra
          This is great. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check out some more of his stuff. Pretty sure I have a bulging disc as well. Hopefully this helps a bit. Thanks again.
          "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

Comment

Anyone have any good recommendations on a not too expensive standing desk for a home office?
            You can try this out and see if the standing desk will work for you. this is my cheapo standing desk. 3 stackable wire racks from your convenient office or big box store, one or more letter trays you probably have. Use whatever is on hand to slide under bottom rack or PC to get components to a comfortable height. For use when sitting: take out 1 wire rack, move keyboard and mouse to desk, and you have an elevated screen at eye level. Advantages: 1. Uses current desk space 2. Can go from conventional desk to fully assembled ready to use in one minute. One minute to knock it down to a conventional desk. 3 Wire racks stack, use minimal space when not in use. Disadvantages: 1. Ugly 2. Minimal space for paper work.

Wire Desk.jpg

My more conventional stand-up is here. This thread has several interesting home grown stand up desk ideas and some commercial ones.
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1449053

There have been several threads on stand up desks, search MDA for them.
            The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

I downloaded "Chimes" onto my iPhone. It makes a chime at the time interval that you set. (Mine is every 15 minutes.) I stand up and do a few McKenzie back extension stretches. (Find it on YouTube.) Very simple and very much "under the radar" as far as not standing out in an office setting. (As opposed to, for example, kettlebell swings.)

BTW, for those of you who think the book "Sitting Kills, Moving Heals" has or may have merit, the author, a NASA scientist who studied accelerated aging biomarkers of astronauts returning from zero gravity, suggests that standing up (a lot !!!) is key, i.e., consistently experiencing a "gravity challenge." So, along those lines, my frequent, brief standing, combined with frequent brief extension stretch, might be just what the doctor ordered. (If the chime goes off when I'm standing, I squat down, just because:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cavedude View Post
                I just put a file box on my (sitting) desk and put my laptop on top of that. It's the perfect height for my hands, though a bit low for my eyes - I'll need to get an external monitor at some point.

Btw, the one thing to not cheap out on is a gel mat for your feet. It improves comfort 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                X