Can't find a trainer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find a trainer

I'm very frustrated. I'm trying to find a personal trainer who can show me/help me learn how to weightlift -- but it seems like everything these days is based on CrossFit. I don't want CF. I want to lift heavy things. **bangs head on desk**
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

i don't think you need a trainer, at least not for more than a couple of sessions. programs like starting strength and stronglifts are great heavy lifting programs that are progressive, starting at very low weight so you can begin by focusing on form. if you need a trainer at all, it would be to have someone to show you proper form and check your form, then you can follow a program on your own. for that, the advice you can get at a crossfit gym should be just fine. see if they will let you have a couple of trial sessions where you can work with someone who knows what they're doing.
    also consider some of the body weight programs like simplefit, primal blueprint fitness, convict conditioning, etc...it may not seem like you're doing a lot of lifting heavy things at first, but i work harder doing those programs than i ever did under the bar.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Buy the Starting Strength DVD.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Too bad you're not in the Sacramento area...I'm a trainer and I have traditional weightlifting experience. Starting Strength is definitely a fantastic resource!

Oh, and I LOVE Convict Conditioning. Working it back into my training as I speak!
        Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Put up an ad in your gym, or on Craigslist:
          Wanted:
          Physical Trainer or experienced lifter who can teach correct form for the following lifts-
          Deadlift
          Squat
          Benchpress
          Barbell Row
          Overhead Press
          etc...
          No cardio, no Crossfit. Lifting form only.

You can even go to your gym manager and give him a copy. Tell him to call you when his trainers stop being idiots, or whatever other witty comments you might have. If you tell him you are posting this ad on Craigslist because you can't find someone at the gym to teach you what you want to know, I'd bet that he would start going through his trainers until he found someone competent that would keep you coming back.

Yes, I agree that a trainer is not *necessary*, but I do believe they can be very useful. I'm finally starting to figure out barbell rows, now that my wife has started SL5x5 with me, and can tell me when my form is jacked up. She doesn't know what a barbell row is, but knows enough about exercise to tell me that my back isn't straight.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
            I'm very frustrated. I'm trying to find a personal trainer who can show me/help me learn how to weightlift -- but it seems like everything these days is based on CrossFit. I don't want CF. I want to lift heavy things. **bangs head on desk**
            How Upstate NY are you?
            DIRECTORY »

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone! I appreciate all of the advice. I'm hesitant to attempt lifting again without one-on-one guidance because when I did CF in the fall (for two weeks of full classes), I hurt my back either from poor form or too much weight (or both). I'll definitely get Starting Strength and Convict Conditioning -- I've already ordered New Rules of Lifting For Women.

Josh, I wish that too! If you have any colleagues near the Albany, NY, area, please let me know.

js290, I'm just south of Albany. Unfortunately, there's no Albany location in that directory. But thanks for the link!

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

Just downloaded Convict Conditioning and Starting Strength, and I ordered the SS DVD. Thanks again!

Comment

Wahoo -- I am now the proud owner of New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength and Convict Conditioning! Now it's just a question of which do I read first?

Thanks again, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                    I'll train you. Not certified or really a master, but I know more than you. Give me your money.

Comment

CrossFit gyms can occasionally harbour some pretty good lifting coaches so don't rule them out. But what you really need to do is get yourself into a university/college facility.

Are you anywhere near this place?

Varsity Strength and Conditioning Complex - UAlbanySports.com—Official Web site of University at Albany Athletics

I'm pretty sure someone there will be able to help.
                      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                      Brute Force Sandbags
                      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by The Return of Dado View Post
                        I'll train you. Not certified or really a master, but I know more than you. Give me your money.
                        **slides a bajillion dollars to Dado**

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                          CrossFit gyms can occasionally harbour some pretty good lifting coaches so don't rule them out. But what you really need to do is get yourself into a university/college facility.

Are you anywhere near this place?

Varsity Strength and Conditioning Complex - UAlbanySports.com—Official Web site of University at Albany Athletics

I'm pretty sure someone there will be able to help.
                          Hey -- thanks, Coach Palfrey! Yes, I'm near SUNY Albany. I'll check it out!

Comment

Good thing we have many resources here...my reach doesn't extend as far as the east coast just yet.
                            Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
                              Good thing we have many resources here...my reach doesn't extend as far as the east coast just yet.
                              It's a huge benefit of the forum -- a huge reach!

Comment

Working...
                              X