Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend lifts for skinny fat that don't involve equipment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend lifts for skinny fat that don't involve equipment?

Hey everyone,

I'm a Yoga instructor, but other than that I'm very new to the exercise thing. I'm quite slim and toned around the majority of my body - but have some skinny fat that won't budge. I've started doing the high intensity cardio (skipping) but I've been reading that to get rid of skinny fat and not drop weight you need to do heavy lifting.

Can anyone recommend heavy lifts I can do without equipment? It is possibly to just lift using my own body weight? I don't want to go to a gym.

I specifically want to target skinny fat on my belly, hips, and backs of thighs... the rest of me is ok!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Somewhere I saw a really good video about doing pullups. I can't do any pullups but this guy showed ways to build up to them. He made a convincing argument that pullups are almost (note the qualifier word almost) the only body weight exercise you need to do.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      (note the qualifier word almost)
      lol. Find it hard to imagine pull ups would tone my butt...! But then again, what do I know - I once thought being veggie was healthy Will try to find a bar somewhere I can use...
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

First, you can't spot reduce areas, you just need to lose fat / preserve-build lean mass i.e. strength train.
        Just off the top of my head:
        Pull ups, Push ups, Box jumps (use your stairs), Burpees, Pike Press, Lunges, Bulgarian Split Squats, Pistol Squats (may take some time )
        Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM.
        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Lots of good body body weight programs out there. Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, Primarl Blueprint Fitness, etc
          Check out Al Kavadlo's site for some other good ideas.
          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

Comment

Jumping exercises are the best fat burners ( principles of HIIT). Burpees pound for pound are the best at torching fat everywhere.

Comment

Here it is. You'll be surprised by this. Well, I was pretty surprised. Pull-ups really do a lot.
              The Importance of Pull-up Bar Training | Mark's Daily Apple
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Definitely check out Al Kavadlo's books, or Convict Conditioning, or SimpleFit, or You are Your own Gym, or Building the Gymnastic Body (that one is more advanced) or even just the Primal Blueprint Fitness E-book. You need to build muscle, and the best way to do that is squats, pushups, and pullups- not just more, but more difficult versions. If you can already do lots of full squats to the ground, then start looking at how to do a one-legged squat. Same thing with pushups.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                  First, you can't spot reduce areas, you just need to lose fat / preserve-build lean mass i.e. strength train.
                  Bears repeating. YOU CAN'T SPOT-REDUCE FAT. Okthanxbai.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Agree with the bodyweight advice. And you can also get yourself a sandbag (any old duffel/holdall filled with sand) and follow some of the workouts on Sandbag Fitness:

Sandbag Fitness

It's also entirely possible to following any of the standard strength training protocols with a sandbag. Wendler, Starting Strength etc.
                    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                    Brute Force Sandbags
                    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! So it's basically any exercises that use your own body weight? Is the principle that it's all in the repetition?

In Yoga we lift our body weight but then we just hold it. Perhaps I could do the Yoga poses in a repetitive way?Salibasana1.jpg

- Ray Peat

Comment

Also, on a daily basis, how long should I be lifting for? I am busy (and lazy) - at the moment I'm doing 4 - 5 minutes hight intensity interval training, plus some Yoga. Would 10 mins of lifting be enough?

- Ray Peat

Comment

'You are your own gym' by Mark Lauren gives you all the advice you could need about bodyweight exercises. Some of the exercises look incredibly tough and there's no way I could do them now or in the near future, but it's something to aspire too, and there are plenty of easier exerices too.

Comment

Originally posted by lizmint View Post
                            'You are your own gym' by Mark Lauren gives you all the advice you could need about bodyweight exercises. Some of the exercises look incredibly tough and there's no way I could do them now or in the near future, but it's something to aspire too, and there are plenty of easier exerices too.
                            Great resource - thanks! He does pull ups using a door...! MarkLauren2 - YouTube

Think it will be a few years before I can do a Spiderman...

- Ray Peat

Comment

I wouldn't strength train every day, you need to recover and grow. But 3 days a week of squats, pull-ups and dips or push-ups will make a difference to your muscle mass. Just aim for progression in terms of resistance or difficulty as often as you can.

20-30 minutes a session is all that you need, and as always, anything is better than nothing!
                              The blog: Lean Ape

100 Steps To YOUR perfect Body

Comment

Working...
                              X