No announcement yet.

Squat alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with the majority of what's been mentioned, there's also wall, and sumo squats, and the plie squat the yogies use as well.

I've got a bit of back trouble from playing rugby myself, and I only really do bodyweight squats (single leg & pistols), because of that, I'm a shortass as well, so lunges are ok for me!

Good luck

Cheers

Comment

Hey.

All of this was probably already addressed by other posters, but I've found that bodyweight lunges and squats are a good starting point. Once you build enough strength, you could try out pistol squats, which are considered one of the greatest exercises for your legs.

Also, Bulgarian split squats are a fantastic alternative.

ZZ

Comment

Leg press's or perhaps hack squats?

Comment

Originally posted by NicMcCool View Post
          The squat is by far one of the safest exercises for your knees as long as you use proper form and and perform a FULL squat. Stopping in the middle of the descent, or "half-squats", are what cause the tension and pain.
          I agree. The other thing that the OP can also do is to do a DB squat and put the front of his feet on a 10 lb plate to gain some elevation. This focuses on working your vastus medialis which strengthen the cartilage/ligaments around your knees. I would also suggest to take a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement if needed.

To the OP, I would try a Bulgarian Squat as well even with your own body weight especially if balance is an issue. Plie Squat is good. Most often people get injuries doing squat due to poor form and flexibility issues. Make sure you stretch after each workout and even on your day off from lifting. If you want to try Full Squat at some point, hip mobility is essential to this especially with your height.
          Last edited by cayla29s; 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Just listen to your body, and use COMMON SENSE.
            Don't push recklessly out of your limits.
            Just do air squats. Your body weight is enough for 90% of people.

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
              I agree. The other thing that the OP can also do is to do a DB squat and put the front of his feet on a 10 lb plate to gain some elevation. This focuses on working your vastus medialis which strengthen the cartilage/ligaments around your knees. I would also suggest to take a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement if needed.

To the OP, I would try a Bulgarian Squat as well even with your own body weight especially if balance is an issue. Plie Squat is good. Most often people get injuries doing squat due to poor form and flexibility issues. Make sure you stretch after each workout and even on your day off from lifting. If you want to try Full Squat at some point, hip mobility is essential to this especially with your height.
              This.
              I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Comment

Working...
              X