Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is speedwalking up hills considered "sprinting"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is speedwalking up hills considered "sprinting"?

Hello PB community. Speedwalking up steep hills without breaks for 20+ minutes seems to be my lunch hour exercise of choice. My doubt is to whether it falls into the "sprinting" category? All replies greatly appreciated.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

No.

Sprinting is going all out for a very short period of time, ~10 sec, a few times, generally without excessive rest.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

As Apex said, it does not. Sprinting is best defined as an intense stop-start activity (no sniggering allowed).
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

If you can do it for more than two minutes without slowing down or pausing it is almost certainly not sprinting.

Comment

While it is not sprinting, it is still good for you. Let's be clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
            While it is not sprinting, it is still good for you. Let's be clear.
            Agreed. A full sprint for most people won't last more than 20 seconds of all-out, I'm-going-to-die-if-I-don't-move-faster intensity. Somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds, you'll hit a wall of some sort, where you feel your body just can't give any more. That's the end of the sprint, and why I don't like to use a timer, because my sprints tend to get shorter as the workout progresses.

Comment

Sounds like a good exercise, but to add sprints to it you could 'attack' the peaks and troughs of each hill with maximum effort.
              Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
              Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
              Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
              WOE: Primal + IF
              Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
              Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

Working...
              X