No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Done Jump Rope 'Sprinting'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Done Jump Rope 'Sprinting'?

Hello, I've been doing sprints on an eliptical, and think that it's time to change it up some.

I don't have easy access to anyplace outside to do actual sprints so am thinking of trying
    them with a jump rope. Has anyone tried this before? Does it give you a good 'out of breath' sprint? I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, but thought that I would check to see if anyone has any experience with it, thanks.

This is what I do! I also don't have any nearby access to sprint and I don't like running around my neighborhood. I do them for 30 seconds with 50 second rest in between, don't know if I should add more rest time, but I do get really tired really fast, specially when I don't trip and I'm able to jump for the 30 seconds straight, so for me its a pretty good substitute.

Comment

Ease into it. If you don't you can injure your Achilles and/or hamstrings pretty easily. Once you can do two minutes of steady state jumping with no problem, then give 10 seconds at the end of every minute a burst and see how you do. After a few weeks of regular Jump rope training your friends will begin to comment on the size of your calves. Mine doubled in size after about a month.

For a really good workout, try doing one legged jump rope, switching legs every 15 seconds (again, once you are conditioned for the motion pretty well).

Dave

Comment

Thank you both for the information. I just got done, and have to say it is quite different then using
        the eliptical. I did 20 - 30 second "sets", resting for about 10-20 seconds. My legs got quite a
        work out but I do not think that I got my heart rate up as much as doing it on the eliptical. I think
        that will come as I get better at jumping. Do you jump every day or treat it as a 'sprint' as far
        as doing it 2-3 times a week? thanks again..

Comment

I do sprints occasionally. More often, though, I do jump squats, burpee's, jacobs ladder, plank jumps for 15-30 min interval-style as my "sprints"

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I totally forgot I had a jump rope. Will do this too!

Comment

Originally posted by Guster View Post
              Hello, I've been doing sprints on an eliptical, and think that it's time to change it up some.

I don't have easy access to anyplace outside to do actual sprints so am thinking of trying
              them with a jump rope. Has anyone tried this before? Does it give you a good 'out of breath' sprint? I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, but thought that I would check to see if anyone has any experience with it, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                Sh*t. That's crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Guster View Post
                  I do not think that I got my heart rate up as much as doing it on the eliptical.
                  I should add that when I sprint with the jump rope I don't :jump" persee, but do it "running style" which at least for me gets my heart rate really up. Maybe try it both ways? Happy Experimenting!

Comment

Double unders. Gets your biceps burning too.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      Double unders. Gets your biceps burning too.
                      I was going to suggest the same. I don't jump rope regularly, but the few times that I've strung together a few double-unders, my heart rate got pretty high pretty fast.

....or just do what the girl in the video did, lol.

Comment

Work up to it, but I would recommend a once-a-week jump rope tabata. It's 8 sets of 20 seconds as HARD AS YOU CAN GO, 10 second full stop. I do my work sets with a high-kneed run, single-under.
                        “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
                          Work up to it, but I would recommend a once-a-week jump rope tabata. It's 8 sets of 20 seconds as HARD AS YOU CAN GO, 10 second full stop. I do my work sets with a high-kneed run, single-under.
                          Yeah. This. Omg the burn. ((
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

thanks for the tip on this. due to this thread I tried that this week. hadn't jumped rope in a looooong time. i could barely walk the next day. i felt this in an odd location in my calves. Been five days and I am still walking slightly funny.

Comment

So excited to see this in a thread! We used to jump rope in a boot camp class that I went through a few years back and my jump rope is now hanging uselessly in the garage. I'm thinking it will be getting used much more after reading this. Thanks for the great idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X