Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a HIT - style workout good for women who want to look toned, not buff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is a HIT - style workout good for women who want to look toned, not buff?

    I have been researching the HIT style workouts and reading the forums about reviews on the different theories/books. I have been doing a basic, beginner's circuit at a gym with a combination of free weights and machines. While I enjoy the circuit, I really don't feel like it's giving me results quickly enough.
    If I learn to do something like BBS correctly, with the help of a trainer, will it make me too bulky? I'd really like to be strong, but not a body-builder.
    I am 46 years old and trying to beat the middle-age spread, and just getting into fitness because I was one of the lucky ones up until I turned 45. I just want to make my workouts worth it and saving time at the gym sounds like a great thing!
    Thanks for any advice you all may have for me.

  • #2
    kimbo you really don't have anything to worry about. Even if it were within your genetic potential to get huge muscles starting to train at 46 would make it doubtful that you would ever get huge. Unless you are naturally very muscular than you will never look like a bodybuilder however hard you train with resistance training.

    All you will do is get the look that many call "toned", which is just development of the muscles. Nearly everyone that trains with resistance will simply look more athletic and better, not huge. And if you did begin to get large muscles then you can always just stop the traininig, and your muscles will slowly shrink back to the size they were.
    The blog: Lean Ape

    100 Steps To YOUR perfect Body

    Comment


    • #3
      One or two 15-20 minute sprint sessions a week is a good idea. Women who also want to look toned and not buff should do the following:

      - Squat
      - Deadlift
      - Benchpress
      - Chin-ups
      - Pull-ups

      Women don't get buff. You simply do not make enough testosterone, IGF-1 and HGH to get buff unless you are a genetic freak, and if you were a genetic freak you would not be posing this question. Getting "toned" by lifting dumbbells and running is a myth, which is why you don't see any toned women doing those exercises. Women need to lift like buff men just to get toned.

      Two articles you should DEFINITELY read:

      http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

      http://www.leangains.com/2008/12/rev...revisited.html
      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-21-2012, 07:41 AM.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

      Comment


      • #4
        What ChocoTaco said.
        Do not worry about getting bulky. It takes a lot to get bulky even when you are young and full of testosterone. The older we get the harder it is. Get a good strength routine, move slowly, sprint and play.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

        Comment


        • #5
          Check out the diet, supplement, and exercise routine for any woman bodybuilder (even the ones who are not using steroids) and you will realize that you are not going to do that by accident. The women I know who lift heavy look fantastic--they have muscles, but they're not bulky in any way.

          Oh, and I hate the term "toned" because it's almost always used by trainers who think women will somehow sprout massive biceps if they use weights over 5 pounds. Also, please go read Krista Scott Dixon over at Stumptuous. She is awesome:

          LIES in the gym :: stumptuous.com
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

          Owly's Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kimbobim View Post
            I have been researching the HIT style workouts and reading the forums about reviews on the different theories/books. I have been doing a basic, beginner's circuit at a gym with a combination of free weights and machines. While I enjoy the circuit, I really don't feel like it's giving me results quickly enough.
            If I learn to do something like BBS correctly, with the help of a trainer, will it make me too bulky? I'd really like to be strong, but not a body-builder.
            I am 46 years old and trying to beat the middle-age spread, and just getting into fitness because I was one of the lucky ones up until I turned 45. I just want to make my workouts worth it and saving time at the gym sounds like a great thing!
            Thanks for any advice you all may have for me.
            “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN »
            From CrossFit to SuperSlow / Body By Science

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Owly View Post
              Check out the diet, supplement, and exercise routine for any woman bodybuilder (even the ones who are not using steroids) and you will realize that you are not going to do that by accident. The women I know who lift heavy look fantastic--they have muscles, but they're not bulky in any way.

              Oh, and I hate the term "toned" because it's almost always used by trainers who think women will somehow sprout massive biceps if they use weights over 5 pounds. Also, please go read Krista Scott Dixon over at Stumptuous. She is awesome:

              LIES in the gym :: stumptuous.com
              Thanks for the link. Looks like a lady with some attitude.

              Comment


              • #8
                I was so happy to see some replies so soon! Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice, I can't wait to try some new training!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  One or two 15-20 minute sprint sessions a week is a good idea. Women who also want to look toned and not buff should do the following:

                  - Squat
                  - Deadlift
                  - Benchpress
                  - Chin-ups
                  - Pull-ups

                  Women don't get buff. You simply do not make enough testosterone, IGF-1 and HGH to get buff unless you are a genetic freak, and if you were a genetic freak you would not be posing this question. Getting "toned" by lifting dumbbells and running is a myth, which is why you don't see any toned women doing those exercises. Women need to lift like buff men just to get toned.

                  Two articles you should DEFINITELY read:

                  Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

                  Reverse Pyramid Revisited | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
                  Well said! Finally an enlightened individual. Its amazing how many women avoid the weight room because they're afraid of getting "buff" or "bulky"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I Don’t Want to Get Big and Bulky: Fitness Marketing and its Effect on Women

                    I like this article too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, BBS is a great idea. Just a bit of advice....my wife got better results with 2x/week workouts being that she is a novice. It actually takes you less time to recover and be ready for the next workout when you are a beginner. She is still done with each workout in about 15 minutes and looks damn good if I do say so myself .

                      Throw in some "play" and your good to go. No need for any other scheduled sessions.

                      I have been doing BBS for the past 6 months or so and can vouch for it. My workouts are 1x/week, but I have a long history of training.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can't believe nobody has pasted this yet.

                        Meet Staci - Nerd Fitness

                        I mean, a picture is worth a thousand words, right? And here are the before and after shots of a lady who started squats, deads, etc.

                        --Me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You will never get strong only doing cardio. You need to incorporate some form of weight lifting into your workouts.

                          It's impossible for women to get huge, as many others have already posted. Unless you start using steroids, of course!

                          "Toned" is the most ridiculous fitness term ever invented. It needs to die.
                          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

                          Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another vote for BBS here. Neckhammer is correct. You'll probably do well with two workouts about every 7 days or so at first. As you become stronger and learn to really train intensely, you'll be generating much more force and be digging deeper inroads in to your limited energy reserves. Progress will slow or stop altogether and you'll need to add more rest days between workouts.

                            The idea that you need to spend hours working out is nonsense. Do a program like this and it will change your life.

                            I also cringe when I hear or read the term toned or toning! It was coined for just the reason the OP stated. People, especially woman were afraid of "bulking" up so they came up with "toning" to sell them on the idea on resistance training. You are either building muscle or you are not. There is no in between. You want to build muscle. In the end yes you will have a more "toned" appearance if that is the word you like, but there is no such thing as a toning workout.

                            You will never look like a freak from hard weight training done drug free. Even most guys have a genuinely hard time packing on what would be considered freakish mass. I laugh when at the gym I see someone doing some namby pamby "workout" basically moving super light weights up and down real fast!! LOL Ask them why they are training that way and some will say well I don't want to get big or anything!!! LOL As if its easy to just get big!! What a joke!! Then they wonder why they make zero progress after spending hours a week with these silly afairs. Its ridiculous.
                            Last edited by Forever Young; 05-25-2012, 01:15 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X