Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding my goals; starting strength vs body by science

Hi everyone!

It's a while since I posted here, last time I had just begun starting strength. I would say I was a true ectomorph if it wasn't for the pot belly and saw good results from that workout but I started to get aches and pains from the super heavy lifting and basically i ate too much (50% of my diet must have been milk)! I put on over a stone and got the heaviest I've ever been (172lb @ 5'10'') and felt great (about my strength gains and bigger body!) but my body fat % must have been over 20% and I wasn't happy with how my stomach hung over my trousers when I sat down :/

I ended up eating a normal amount of food (LC paleo) and stopped focusing on progression (basically because I wasn't eating enough) and ended up 160lb.

Recently (last two months) I started the Body by Science programme (still LC paleo) and I've shrunken to 155lb and 14% BF (calipers first thing on a morning, fasted) and I don't feel like I look much better than your average skinny fat CW in the gym!

I'm just pretty frustrated and don't know what my goals/plan of action should be; I love being bigger but hate being fatter, I also love the BBS workout (especially since they are only once every 5-7 days).

I know this post is getting super long but I've found that I simply can't fit in enough time/money to prepare and eat enough protein and fat to gain more muscle but when I add carbs the gains round my middle come faster than anything else.

Thanks everyone for reading that! Any advice would be greatly appreciated (going on holiday in 2 months haha! )

Try a paleo leangains protocol?

Lift fasted in the morning, using a reverse pyramid setup for progression. Bookend your workout with BCAA's, and eat a normal lunch and dinner. Sprint once a week and go on some long hikes/walks 2-3 days a week?

Comment

Starting Strength but you have to go for progression otherwise you are just warming up.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by CE402 View Post
        Try a paleo leangains protocol?

Lift fasted in the morning, using a reverse pyramid setup for progression. Bookend your workout with BCAA's, and eat a normal lunch and dinner. Sprint once a week and go on some long hikes/walks 2-3 days a week?
        Is this all Leangains is about?

Comment

Originally posted by Metric View Post
          Is this all Leangains is about?
          Mostly, plus carb re-feeds with the post- heavy-lifting meal (ie a sweet potato with lunch on lifting days). The insulin from the carbs is supposed to help get the amino acids into the muscles rather than being used for gluconeogenesis. Also, he gives you an 8-hour eating window each day (noon til 8pm) then a 16 hour fast, ending with your workout, then the post-workout meal. Or just ending with lunch on non-workout days.

Comment

Keep up BBS and eat more = more muscle. Do starting strength and eat more = more muscle.....there is a pattern here . FYI, I've used BBS to put on some significant mass the past six months. I am relentless about hitting higher tul's or upping my weights each week.

The part about not worrying about progression and how much you are eating are your two real problems.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! A mixture of BBS and leangains sounds like it might be a good route, I think i just have to be consistant in eating more; that's the part i find the most difficult, not the work outs. I need the opposite of a gastric band!

I'll let you know how i do

Comment

Originally posted by grouchos_tash View Post
                Recently (last two months) I started the Body by Science programme (still LC paleo) and I've shrunken to 155lb and 14% BF (calipers first thing on a morning, fasted) and I don't feel like I look much better than your average skinny fat CW in the gym!

I'm just pretty frustrated and don't know what my goals/plan of action should be; I love being bigger but hate being fatter, I also love the BBS workout (especially since they are only once every 5-7 days).
                I've been pretty pleased with BBS. The most important part is the effort and continuing to contract the muscles beyond where you feel comfortable. When it starts to burn is when you know the work has just begun. Couple of video examples:

BODY BY SCIENCE TRAINING VIDEO 2 — TODD BEARD »

Comment

eat more and work out super hard to gain muscle. There are other programs like 5-3-1 that have slower planned progression and don't "require" as much overeating as SS does. But you need to eat protein and work super hard to gain muscle mass; if it was easy, everyone would be hyoooj.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Hello,

I am new here. I just read out the book Body by science and it made me interested. In past I trained in gym (few years ago). But I would like to ask:

1. Comparison BBS vs 5 x 5. Is BBS truly comparable? Or 5x5 gives much better results? (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-...-build-muscle/)
                    2. When I train BBS (second week only) how should I eat? I know basics of Paleo approach but the question is how much protein in training day, second day, third day etc.? I suppose that eating 1g / lb protein 6 days after workout does not give any sence becouse musles grow only something like 48 hours. True?
                    3. I do also about 10 - 15000 steps daily + 1 - 3 weekly I swim. Try in moderate pace but I am probably often higher to be honest

I am so glad I found this site. 2 days I read articles here 24/7 .-))

Thank you very much

Comment

I would just go straing BBS. If you read the book carefully he says that it could take as much as two years to reach you full potential. Hit the BBS as hard as you can and enjoy the rest of your week.

Comment

Original strength is my main workout....I start each session focused on how I move, not what I move. I tend to do long crawl (forwards, back, lateral). After that I focus on gymnastic goal (one arm pushup etc). If I have time I then do some BBS esq work.

Yesterday was OS work followed by one arm pushup progression followed by -
                        Chest press
                        Pulldown
                        Lateral raise each for a 4/4 cadence. The difference is that if I hit 12 or more reps I up the weight for the next session. I push until probably one rep shy of failure. This style of training has allowed me to feel connected to the movements much in the same way that OS does.

I do a chest/shoulder/back movement one day....a leg/bi/tri the next.

I might repeat this later in the week, I might just focus on the OS and gymnastic work....its all down to how I feel. As the BBS type work is not my focus (more of an extra) I don't worry about it.

Richard
                        It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

I do BBS (been following it for three years now), and also follow a leangains-style fasting protocol (I eat between 12 noon and 8 p.m. every day). I don't do any cardio, but I do practice yoga several days a week. I do fairly gentle practice and, IMO, the yoga contributes very little to my overall fitness - it just makes me feel good.

My weight training is once per week, and lasts between 12 and 15 minutes.

I'm 46 years old, 5'9 and currently 155#. Chest is 39", waist 30.5", according to my Skulpt Chisel, body fat is 10.9%
                          “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Wow! You've got really good results. So I think I need to try yoga too. But my working schedule (5d/week) does not let me do that regularly

Comment

Thanks. Again, I would say that the affect of the yoga on my body comp is minimal - I'm doing it mostly because I enjoy the meditative aspects of it. I do think it helps with my overall mobility and flexibility and may contribute to my recovery a bit, but I certainly don't think it is necessary to have good results. Diet is the most important component, by far.
                              “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                              X