Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abject violation of sleep laws = still losing fat and getting ripped.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abject violation of sleep laws = still losing fat and getting ripped.

I do my darnedest to follow PB, and it's cured most of what ails me. But I'm a night-shifter, and basically switch from nocturnal to diurnal every other week! This kind of stress, on top of almost daily IF and frequent workouts, ought to freak out my hormones, right? But I'm fine! Is it because this is one of the few bad things I do? Is it because I'm actually a nocturnal person and have an easier time flopping schedules than true diurnal people?

I doubt anyone knows anything concrete, but here's my actual schedule for those who might like to dig a little:

Tues. through tues., eight day stretch of ten-hour night shifts, 9:30pm to 7:30am.
    On my last day, instead of going to bed, I typically just stay awake the whole day and go to bed that night, hammering myself back into diurnal habits like a sledgehammer.
    Six days of this, then staying awake another day to swing back into nights.
    And, except for those transition days (where I really do feel very tired by 24 hours of being awake!) I'm bubbly - downright spongebob squarepants!

Been doing this for quite awhile, like six months I think. Is it going to catch up to me? Any ideas? Other people working my schedule look like miserable zombies. My coworkers are almost angry that I'm so cheerful.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

IMO, the sleep and cortisol bits of the PB, which are also touted in other corners of the weight loss world, simply have little effect on weight loss! you can be running on a sleep deficit and stressed out as all hell, and still lose weight. i'm not saying it's optimal, don't get me wrong. but i read a lot of people focusing on either blacking out their rooms, or eliminating all stress (i don't even know how you do that), or bathing in cold water, or staring into the sun, or 'earthing', in misguided attempts to lose bodyfat. focus on food!!!!

Comment

w0rd jakey.

i also don't think that sleep is as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. as long as you're falling asleep not too long after you lie down, and wake up feeling at least somewhat rested, you're probably fine. grok didn't sleep an exact 8 hours per night in total darkness. i think there were lots of all-nighters to hunt sleeping game, sneak up on rivals, shoot the shit in front of the fire, or sneak a liaison with a friendly grokette.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Just be careful that you don't burn yourself out; you may feel fine now, and you know yourself best, but try to mitigate as much damage as you possibly can before it catches up to you. If you have any signs of fatigue, reduced performance, mood changes or what have you, then cut back on the workouts / IF to get yourself back up to speed.

Comment

This is very encouraging. I think I might have been needlessly worrisome about my bizarre sleep patterns, which are so ridiculously variable. I must learn to accept the fact that I will naturally sleep 5 hours some nights and feel great the next day, and then sleep 10 hours sometimes and ignore the alarm clock the next day, for no obvious reason. I must accept it as one of my eccentricities that despite a wonderful new primal lifestyle, I will still be a night-owl and stay up reading/writing/interneting until my eyes go squiffy sometimes.

The most important thing is that once I manage to drop off I am an immovable object right through the night, and that is very very good for me!
          Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
          Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
          Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
          WOE: Primal + IF
          Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
          Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

i think it's important to follow your bodily cues. if you're tired, that's a message. GO TO BED! of course, i don't always obey this either, even when i can.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I think it's important to get a good night sleep but more along the lines of amble recovery from lifting heavy. As far as weight lose goes, I'm not sold that's it related or necessary to lose. My sleep varies from 5-8 hours during the week and I am consistently shedding fat. My stress levels are also varied and seem to have no affect. Although, I am doing leangains and maybe just maybe Martin has created such a bad-ass program that IT JUST DON'T MATTER!!!!
              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

For me, the big problem with being tired is that I have very little willpower and crave crap food. So I think if you feel good and it doesn't negatively impact your food choices you may be okay.

There are data showing shift workers have some additional health issues though. But it seems as if you are doing well.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I'm not sure if this ties in anywhere, but when I was going through my EMT training about 7 years ago, I was under A LOT of stress and I lost around 20lbs. From everything I've read, stress causes you to get fat, sooooo........

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    There are data showing shift workers have some additional health issues
                    these data show an association, not cause and effect.

Comment

Originally posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
                      This is very encouraging. I think I might have been needlessly worrisome about my bizarre sleep patterns, which are so ridiculously variable. I must learn to accept the fact that I will naturally sleep 5 hours some nights and feel great the next day, and then sleep 10 hours sometimes and ignore the alarm clock the next day, for no obvious reason. I must accept it as one of my eccentricities that despite a wonderful new primal lifestyle, I will still be a night-owl and stay up reading/writing/interneting until my eyes go squiffy sometimes.

The most important thing is that once I manage to drop off I am an immovable object right through the night, and that is very very good for me!
                      I entirely agree with this. I worry myself stupid about not getting enough sleep. I am always staying up late because I am too busy or just don't feel tired and spend time reading and internetting etc. When I do go to bed at a sensible hour I can never get to sleep and end up getting stressed and angry. When I do sleep I am comatose and normally feel like crap in the morning for at least 20 - 30 mins. Weekends I catch up but I know this is not supposed to be good for you. I think if I just learned to live with it I would be happier. I follow the PB fairly well otherwise.

I would say my average sleep is about 6 hours a night
                      http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
                      ― Carl Sagan

Comment

Nice! I've always preferred to be nocturnal, but then I'll tell myself this isn't normal (also school/shops/the world in general! mostly operate in the day), so I try my best to dial my sleep patterns back to a conventional one. My productivity is way lower in the day though. The only problem was I'd eat junk in the night and feel like crap. Since Primal, I feed myself properly, have a good dinner (sometimes it's my first meal), and night snacking doesn't gross my body out because it's ham & cheese instead of a pack of Tim Tams. It's silly but I feel liberated

But I can go a bit mad with all the readjustments though. Needing to wake up for a morning appointment means readjusting sleep and food timing a day or two before. Do you guys find that can burn you out?

Comment

I actually am nocturnal. That probably helps a ton. Left to my own devices, I go to bed just after sunrise and wake in the afternoon.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                          X