Is this a good workout schedule?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good workout schedule?

I've been looking so long for a good routine and I think this is best I've found (on vodybuilding.com)

4x Squats: 5 reps
    3x Ham Work: 8 reps
    3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
    2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
    3x Military Press: 8 reps
    3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
    3x Pullups: 8 reps
    3x Leg Press: 8 reps
    2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
    3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
    3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Just one question:
    Why are there squats AND legpresses in this workout? What's the difference? Aren't squats the same but better?
    Also, what's the best way to do a overhead press? Seated or standing? Barbell or dumbbell?
    well then

No.

Do two days.

Day One: Squat, bench press, overhead press.

Day two: Dead lift, Chins, Rows.

Easy done.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
      No.

Do two days.

Day One: Squat, bench press, overhead press.

Day two: Dead lift, Chins, Rows.

Easy done.
      What results will this give me?
      Significant results?
      well then

Comment

I dont think so this will help you to reduce your weight..... You have to take care and conscious on diet also..

Comment

Originally posted by asathya View Post
          I dont think so this will help you to reduce your weight..... You have to take care and conscious on diet also..
          You mean I will lose weight like this? Why would that be the case if I build muscle?
          well then

Comment

Gadsie you will kill yourself exercising like that. Back off on it. Don't go to the gym more than once a week, that is ridiculous at 14. You are supposed to be trying to put on weight, not running yourself into the ground. I seriously doubt you will put on an muscle at all doing that, you will just end up in hospital.

Comment

That sounds like way to much work, and a lot of it isn't needed to be honest. I would imagine that you would never be able to recover from one day to the next once you are using any kind of weight for the exercises.

Keep it simple.

Squats
              Pull-ups
              Dips

2 or 3 times a week. Progression is the name of the game. Aim for more reps or a heavier weight each workout.

People have built fine physiques on such workouts. Ab work and curls really are not needed.

Just think, if you could do 20 chins with 40 lbs around your waist would your arms be small? OK, maybe an extreme example for many, but I would cut right back and just focus on getting strong in a few basic exercises for years.

Hope that helps.
              The blog: Lean Ape

100 Steps To YOUR perfect Body

Comment

Originally posted by Lean Ape Dave View Post
                That sounds like way to much work, and a lot of it isn't needed to be honest. I would imagine that you would never be able to recover from one day to the next once you are using any kind of weight for the exercises.

Keep it simple.

Squats
                Pull-ups
                Dips

2 or 3 times a week. Progression is the name of the game. Aim for more reps or a heavier weight each workout.

People have built fine physiques on such workouts. Ab work and curls really are not needed.

Just think, if you could do 20 chins with 40 lbs around your waist would your arms be small? OK, maybe an extreme example for many, but I would cut right back and just focus on getting strong in a few basic exercises for years.

Hope that helps.
                I think that's ok but i would add rows, shoulder press and bench press..
                well then

Comment

New workout, what you think:

Day 1
                  4x Squats: 5 reps
                  3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
                  4x Bench Press: 5 reps
                  3x Overhead Press: 8 reps

Day 2

3x Pullups: 8 reps
                  3x Leg Press: 8 reps
                  2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps
                  3x Chest Dips: 8 reps

Repeat day 1 on day 3.
                  well then

Comment

For 3 workouts a week?

That sounds good. I would just swap the position of the curls so they are last. Better to put all your energy into the compound movements and finish with the curls if you have the energy.

I would rather use free weights than a leg press personally, maybe do deadlifts or squat again, but training legs heavy 3 times a week may be a little much once the weight is substantial.

Comment

Originally posted by Lean Ape Dave View Post
                      For 3 workouts a week?

That sounds good. I would just swap the position of the curls so they are last. Better to put all your energy into the compound movements and finish with the curls if you have the energy.

I would rather use free weights than a leg press personally, maybe do deadlifts or squat again, but training legs heavy 3 times a week may be a little much once the weight is substantial.
                      Alright, and how should I progress? Increase reps or weight? And should I add some other exercises after a while?
                      well then

Comment

You sound like a new lifter so I will keep it simple - Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Pretty much anything else will be a waste of time until you have been lifting 6 months to a year.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                          Alright, and how should I progress? Increase reps or weight? And should I add some other exercises after a while?
                          Rep ranges are a thorny issue. It takes quite a lot of experimenting over the long term to know what the best rep range is for you as an individal. But until you stall in terms of weight progression I would stick to the rep ranges you have chosen and go for adding more weight to the bar.

If you can't add weight to the bar at least once a week, or add a little to a belt or backpack once you can do the number of pull-ups and dips you want to, then I would play around with rep ranges.

i.e for me if I do sets of chins with added weight for 10 reps I can never progress with adding more weight. But if I do 6 reps then I can add weight most weeks. But that is a long way off if you are starting out. You should have a year or two of linear weight progression before you need to look closely at the rep ranges.

And as for adding more exercises, I wouldn't. I would stick to the same movements week in week out until you are close to the physique you want.

Comment

Somebody on the bodybuilding forum suggested this:

Workout A
                            - Squat
                            - Bench press
                            - Overhead press
                            - Dips

Workout B
                            - Deadlift
                            - Pullup
                            - Rows
                            - Bicep curl or Preacher curl

1.5x weekly
                            Week 1: ABA
                            Week 2: BAB

or

2x weekly
                            Mon: A
                            Tue: B
                            Thurs: A
                            Fri: B

Would this be better? And I will add a little weight everytime if possible.
                            well then

Comment

Definitely go for 3 times a week max. If you try to train legs two days in a row you are asking for back problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X