Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The (new) social stigma against walking and standing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The (new) social stigma against walking and standing...

    As you all know, Mark's been on about the importance and health benefits of walking and even just standing instead of sitting and being sedentary all day. It's a simple, effective, and uncomplicated way to burn calories and increase bloodflow throughout the body as well as lowering blood preassure and cholesterol.

    Here's the point of this thread however... Lately, I've taken to standing at my desk a lot more because my legs have been feeling stiff and cramped lately. I've noticed that my co-workers look at me funny when they see me doing this. Glances, leering stares even. Once I was asked, "how can you do that? It's not natural!"

    Not natural? Standing? Walking? Stretching? No primalite would ever admit that!

    When I do the same thing with my friends, say, we're playing a board game or cards around the table or something and my legs begin to feel stiff, I might stand up for a while. But, eventually, one or the other of them will invariably tell me "Will you sit the hell down? You're starting to make me nervous!"

    I see people who, when a seat becomes available on the bus, and they are standing, will lunge for it and then get off AT THE VERY NEXT STOP. Do your legs hurt so bad that you have to sit down for approximately 30 seconds?

    I have family members, friends, and co-workers who refuse to walk even to places a few blocks away! It really is a problem when you can't walk a few measly blocks.

    So here's the gist of my post. Have any of you paleo/primalites noticed the same thing? Do you get strange stares and looks when you get up to take frequent stretch breaks, move around a bit, and get your blood flowing? Do your friends, family, or co-workers complain and moan about walking even to go just around the corner?

    What's your opinion on this? I used to have a hard time imagining that there was a problem here. I mean, I've known about the SAD issues for a long time, also the lack of exercise. But it's only recently that I've seen the true extent of the issue around standing, walking, and even just stretching that I would NEVER have guessed before.

    So, I'll stop here and let you all have your say. What say you?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

  • #2
    when i'm sitting and someone is standing within a few feet of me, it feels like they're looming so you're literally making that person nervous

    as for the rest, just laziness for the most part
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

    Comment


    • #3
      I had a desk job for a while and always paced. I lasted less than a year.

      Actually walking to a destination is a radical act, unfortunately. The state will be installing sidewalks on the main drag here and there was a vocal group in local gov't that was opposed.
      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        when i'm sitting and someone is standing within a few feet of me, it feels like they're looming so you're literally making that person nervous

        as for the rest, just laziness for the most part
        How am I looming if I'm on the other freaking side of the table?

        Besides, my legs are stiff! Is it really so socially unacceptable to stand when everyone else is sitting, even if your legs need to be stretched out a little bit?
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

        Comment


        • #5
          I sometimes have people who are a bit puzzled by me standing, but I get more reaction when I choose to sit on the floor instead of on a sofa or chair. I find that on the floor I can sit more naturally and shift or move as I want. Most people are fine with it (in the context of a group social gathering for example) but some people get really pushy about offering a chair to me as soon as one is available.

          I have a cushioned trunk in my living room, and I've been sitting on that for meetings at my place since it's basically an elevated floor, and that seems less disturbing to people than me choosing to settle in on the rug.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

          Owly's Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
            I had a desk job for a while and always paced. I lasted less than a year.

            Actually walking to a destination is a radical act, unfortunately. The state will be installing sidewalks on the main drag here and there was a vocal group in local gov't that was opposed.
            Radical indeed! Trying to convince your friends that you should walk the three blocks to the store and not drive is really draining. And it's a really busy store so parking is a bitch to begin with! Walking would avoid that!

            Opposed a sidewalk so that people could walk? Dare I ask what their rational was?
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Owly View Post
              I sometimes have people who are a bit puzzled by me standing, but I get more reaction when I choose to sit on the floor instead of on a sofa or chair. I find that on the floor I can sit more naturally and shift or move as I want. Most people are fine with it (in the context of a group social gathering for example) but some people get really pushy about offering a chair to me as soon as one is available.

              I have a cushioned trunk in my living room, and I've been sitting on that for meetings at my place since it's basically an elevated floor, and that seems less disturbing to people than me choosing to settle in on the rug.
              Oh wow. I get the same thing!

              "Why are you on the floor man? Sit in a chair like a normal human being!"

              But I find that sitting in chairs for long periods makes my legs uncomfortable and stiff! Oh, and I LIKE to walk too! *gasp shock and awe*
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

              Comment


              • #8
                Ever since I started working out on a regular basis I find myself standing often at my desk instead of sitting. I get antsy sitting for more than 30 min. at a time. I've always paced up and down the department on long phone calls as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tizzo View Post
                  Ever since I started working out on a regular basis I find myself standing often at my desk instead of sitting. I get antsy sitting for more than 30 min. at a time. I've always paced up and down the department on long phone calls as well.
                  I work at a really small non-profit (REALLY small). Pacing around the office would probably bother them a bit, I understand that. But just standing up? I mean really... I'm still working and I'm right by my desk, not in anybody else's way!
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    I work at a really small non-profit (REALLY small). Pacing around the office would probably bother them a bit, I understand that. But just standing up? I mean really... I'm still working and I'm right by my desk, not in anybody else's way!
                    Is your desk set up for standing, or are you working hunched over the computer and standing? I could understand some people being weirded out if your desk isn't set up for standing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I walk an hour to school and back. Among my classmates I am a fitness god.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        try being pregnant and refusing a seat! people will look at you as if you've sprouted a second head. "you don't want to sit?" it's almost offensive to them. the looming thing bothers me though. my husband is 6'2" (to my 5'4"), and when i'm sitting and he wants to talk to me, he usually stands right next to me. it hurts my neck. he doesn't mean anything by it, just a habit i suppose. anyway, if you're not looming over someone then it shouldn't really be a problem. tell people that you're more relaxed or you think better while standing, or whatever you want to say to put them at ease.
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tizzo View Post
                          Is your desk set up for standing, or are you working hunched over the computer and standing? I could understand some people being weirded out if your desk isn't set up for standing.
                          I'm not really hunched over that much. I'm very short to begin with, so it works out ok. I only have to hunch over if I'm trying to read microscopic text on a screen. And in those cases I just zoom in. Heh.

                          But no, it's not technically a standing desk.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                            I walk an hour to school and back. Among my classmates I am a fitness god.
                            I hear ya. Today, after work, just because I could, I walked an hour and a half around my home neighborhood? Why? Because it was a beautiful day and I wanted to!
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                              try being pregnant and refusing a seat! people will look at you as if you've sprouted a second head. "you don't want to sit?" it's almost offensive to them. the looming thing bothers me though. my husband is 6'2" (to my 5'4"), and when i'm sitting and he wants to talk to me, he usually stands right next to me. it hurts my neck. he doesn't mean anything by it, just a habit i suppose. anyway, if you're not looming over someone then it shouldn't really be a problem. tell people that you're more relaxed or you think better while standing, or whatever you want to say to put them at ease.
                              It's more because my legs get stiff when I sit all the time like that. That's generally not a good sign for the poor things. And as Mark has said plenty of times, we should all stand as often as possible.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X