Planks Alternatives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planks Alternatives?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an alternative exercise. I find right now that my arms are giving out before my abs are, so I'm not getting the most out of the move. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm trying to follow the instructions as closely as possible. Any thoughts?

probably not getting your butt right in line. make sure your hips are tucked but not arched under - maybe use a mirror or a friend? alternative exercises - try hollows - you lie on your back and try to hold your feet 6 inches above the ground without letting your lower back arch up off the floor for 10 seconds, then 5 seconds rest, for 5 rounds. if you can't do 6 inches, start higher. for somehting more dynamic, try ranger crawls - get into a plank position with your hands on the floor (not your elbows), then bring your left foot up to just outside your left hand and then put it back. repeat on the right side and go for however many it takes for you to feel it in your abs and obliques.

Comment

I'd just keep working it to get your arms stronger.

Comment

You get better at doing planks by doing planks. They are NOT fun but they are a great core exercise. Don't worry about your abs. Just make sure you are using good form and hold it as long as you possibly can. If you are convinced you aren't getting the ab involvement that you'd like then do a set of crunches to failure first then immediately go into the plank position. This will pre-exhaust your abs and they will be engaged sooner while holding the plank position.

Comment

sounds like your arms could definitely use some strengthening, but you may also want to shifting the position of your arms a bit too.
          as for alternatives:
          hanging leg raises
          bear crawls
          L sits
          planche progressions
          dragon flags
          ...most of these are harder than planks, but way more fun. just work up to them.

...or, just skip the planks. you get a great core workout doing things like pushups, pull ups, squats, etc.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Do them with both hands on a basketball, or one hand each on two basketballs, using a fitness ball, raising one leg/arm off the ground, or one of each at the same time, or even just pulsing the pelvis whilst in the plank position is quite lively as well!

The oblique leg lifts in the plank as Bananabono mentions are good as well.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
              sounds like your arms could definitely use some strengthening, but you may also want to shifting the position of your arms a bit too.
              as for alternatives:
              hanging leg raises
              bear crawls
              L sits
              planche progressions
              dragon flags
              ...most of these are harder than planks, but way more fun. just work up to them.

...or, just skip the planks. you get a great core workout doing things like pushups, pull ups, squats, etc.
              and more useful

Doing planks only ever got me better at planks, and not by much.

L-sits have progressed my planks more than planking ever did. And most of the other "core" exercises I used to do.
              I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Planks are pretty useless by themselves. If you're in that position you might as well do push ups. It'll take your mind off the "planking" part of it. If you're looking for core strength, you should do squats.
                "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
                Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
                Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Comment

Wow! Thank you all for the replies. I've been doing the PB Fitness routines, so pushups, squats, etc. are already getting done. I'll have to look up how to do basically all of those suggestions hah. Thank you again!

Comment

Do planks on your elbows/forearms, not on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                      Do planks on your elbows/forearms, not on your hands.
                      +1 if you are into nailing the plank (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by amdws1234 View Post
                        +1 if you are into nailing the plank (lol).
                        Just answering the question, that's all. If he wants to do them on his arms, he'll have to improve his arm strength, and pushups will be the best start for that, and then pullups will be needed to balance the pushups. Pullups and chinups actually work the abs more intensely than just about any other exercise... There was a T-nation article by Bret Contreras on this a while back, but the links all seem to be broken.

Comment

Hanging toes to bar rock and really work your abs. I usually do 4-5 sets of 10--I go slow near the end but I am careful to "tap" the bar with my toes and control the movement to get the most range of motion / work.

You will feel these the next day. Fair warning :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X