Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My near-death experience! (or doing a tabata run for the first time)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My near-death experience! (or doing a tabata run for the first time)

please someone tell me it gets easier or will I experience hell-on-earth each time I run a Tabata interval? Oh my...it's been 4 hours since I ran for 4 minutes (20 sec sprint with 10 sec rest X 8) and my lungs still hurt/burn. I did a 5 min warm up walk and a cool down...

I've done farklet running before, but this was a new kind of experience.

Both. It'll get a little easier, but you'll be able to work harder and run yourself right back to hell.

I love how, for almost an hour afterwards, even walking up a normal flight of stairs gets my pulse and respiration up.

I don't experience the lung-burning, though. I suspect it will disappear as you get fitter, but will be interested in what others have to say.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

My reaction is more "Dear god I hope I don't toss my cookies!"

Comment

anna,

Sounds pretty much typical for me. I've pretty much stopped actually puking, though :-D

Comment

It takes time to recover

Comment

so I'm assuming you timed your sprints? did you have somebody yelling out "stop! go!"?? I'm planning on enlisting my girlfriend's help in this, just having her tell me when to stop sprinting... I don't think I can do 8 of them. 20 seconds is a long time, do you have any idea how much ground you covered in each sprint?

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Tabata intervals are pretty much supposed to be soul-crushing.

Comment

I lay on the couch with my chest heaving. I usually can't even drink water for a couple hours. It never seemed to improve for me.

Comment

As someone famous wrote about bicycle racing, "it doesn't get easier, you just go faster." True if you continue to do them correctly, all out 100%.

You should recover faster after it's over though.

bruce b.

Comment

Ok I will bite: what's a tabata interval?

Comment

Named after a Japanese scientist called Tabata, Tabata intervals are sets of 20 seconds FULL ON, ALL OUT exercise followed by 10 seconds rest. Total of 8 sets, which equals 4 minutes. KILLER, if done right. Google for benefits info.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Tabata sprints are probably the toughest Tabata workout though. I've done tabata kettlebell and resistance band workouts and they weren't that tough... or maybe I wasn't doing it hard enough.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

thanks to you all for the replies. I do appreciate it...it's nice not to feel alone suffering out there!

BarbeyGirl: I think the burning of my lungs could be due to a case of exercise-induced asthma. I haven't noticed for years since I've been running at a slow-but-steady pace, but now I do remember feeling the burning when I first starting running.

iniQuity: I downloaded some free user-made tabata mp3s that are timed perfectly with audio prompts to "rest" and "GoGOGO!" I put it on and ran as fast as I could up a canyon trail run! (the first 20 seconds were dang impressive!) hahah

bruce.b: great quote! thanks.

again, thanks everyone for your comments.

Brett

Comment

A slight correction. The "rest" interval is actually supposed to be done at 50% of maximum effort. In weight training contexts this is usually taken as a rest period, but in anything where "sprinting" makes sense, you should just go at half speed for the 10 second interval.

Comment

wow..really Greg? I assumed (and from watching tabata vids on Youtube) that rest meant rest (i.e. stop the motion and try to recover) albeit short.

Comment

Working...
                              X