Hot Yoga?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Yoga?

My membership is almost up at my yoga studio and I'm debating on whether or not I should renew it there or try hot yoga.

Is hot yoga primal? Any insight would be appreciated!

I practice hot yoga! I do a form of power vinyasa yoga at Baron Baptiste. I love it. I dislike Bikram yoga, which is the other hot form practiced near me, simply because I find it so boring.

Yoga's pretty primal, so I don't see why hot yoga wouldn't be. I'm a big fan mostly because it helps me with my flexibility.

Comment

The hot yoga studio near me is Bikram... maybe I'll try one class and see how I feel about it. I just wasn't sure if it was primal to make yourself exercise in that kind of heat... but I guess Groks living near the equator would have been in that kind of heat all the time!

Comment

I'd say try it. I do a beginner dvd once a week for recovery and love it.

Comment

@Tara - try out Bikram! I have a couple friends who love it, I'm just ornery. Let us know how you like it.

Comment

I was a hatha yoga teacher before going to my first vinyasa flow class. They keep it pretty warm in there, and I'm a total vinyasa convert. I'd try Bikram as well, but if you haven't tried it, I say go for a vinyasa flow/ashtanga class as well! Just FABULOUS!! And more of a 'workout' than any other kind of yoga I've personally done!

Comment

I would def. try it out- I wish my gym offered hot yoga! Our room is always freezing and it makes me feel so stiff and miserable. =( I do much better when I've warmed up a bit, so I imagine hot yoga would be like that from the start... ah I'm so jealous!

Comment

Bikram yoga is an hour and half of heat stress, engaging the sympathetic nervous system, causing a cortisol response. This is the antithesis of yoga, ie which is about the breath and engaging the parasympathetic nervous system. Its a stretch class in a superheated room, there is nothing yoga about Bikram, the only person that benefits from Bikram is Mr Bikram. Your encouraged to drink a lot of water, combined with excessive sweating, diluting the body salts, more stress. Its not even body weight exercise. Hot vinyasa isnt much better, though it depends on how hot the room is.

Its lazy Ashtanga, ie instead of trapping prana or energy in the body via the bandhas or locks, creating enormous heat in the body through primary series or the like, hot vinyasa creates heat outside the body, the focus is less intense. I m not suggesting to do yoga in a cold room, ideally it wouldnt be practiced at less than 70 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=david+swenson+first+series&se arch_type=&aq=2&oq=david+swen

This is bodyweight, endurance, strength and range of motion.

Baron Baptiste is great, and the Kest brothers are also great for strength and endurance.

Comment

[quote]

I m not suggesting to do yoga in a cold room, ideally it wouldnt be practiced at less than 70 degrees.</blockquote>

My vinyasa studio keeps the heat right around 70 or a little warmer, which is certainly warm enough for me! I think this is fairly typical from the studios I&#39;ve gone to that hold vinyasa classes. How hot is Bikram yoga? I don&#39;t think I&#39;d want it much hotter than 73-75...

Brian Kest&#39;s video is a favorite of mibe, and I use it when I&#39;m not going to classes. I also have David Swenson&#39;s first series dvd--but I prefer to do the first series on my own (I like practicing w/out a dvd often). Awesome awesome stuff on there--just in the intro alone!

Comment

70F is a great temp for vinyasa, I find it allows my body to open up gradually, and still work up a sweat if I feel like it comfortably.

FairyRae, the temp for Bikram is 40C or 104F, it is intense thats an hour and a half. I did it for about six months, and would go into the room and lie down for about 10 mins to adjust to the temp. Its very tempting to do when its freezing outside, when you feel chilled to the bone, but its not worth it. There are really unfit looking people going to those classes, and youre not allowed to leave the room unless you are going to throw up, seriously, if you lie down, you have to stop all together and stay there for the duration.

Yeah I like Brians dvd, and he has some cool stuff to download on his website. David is awesome and I agree the intro has some great info. I did a five day workshop with him at Kripalu a couple of years ago, he is such a cool dude, an incredible physical specimen for mid fifties, the body of an 18 year old surfer, incredible posture, strength and flexibility. He is very funny too.

Comment

[quote]

FairyRae, the temp for Bikram is 40C or 104F, it is intense thats an hour and a half.</blockquote>

AHHH! I don&#39;t think I could do it...That is HOT!

I totally have to check out Brian&#39;s site.

That is soooo cool that you did a workshop w/ David--he is AMAZING! I love watching the opening/demo and seeing everything he does on the first series dvd, and use the demo to show folks who tell me "oh yeah, yoga looks like a great way to relax and stretch, but is not really a workout." You cannot watch the demo w/out being amazed at his strength, control, precision, balance and flexibility (at least I can&#39;t!). He makes it all look so easy, which is a sign of seriously amazing skill. (I go crazy when folks tell me yoga isn&#39;t really working out--for me, sun salutes are the ONLY reason I can do a burpee. Yoga has GREATLY helped me build strength/muscle...) Watching that demo makes me want to get the 2nd and 3rd series dvd(s?)...They look so cool, but I&#39;ve read they are more for just watching, not doing. (Although I utilize poses from all 3 series when creating my own practices--I&#39;m naturally really flexible so I love 3rd series forward bends etc, but have a harder time building strength, so a blend of postures from all 3 series--most from the 1st--are quite beneficial to me.) I&#39;ve also looked into his yoga practice cards and would be interested in hearing if others found them helpful as well...

(Sorry to derail the thread from the hot yoga topic! I love yoga!)

Comment

Shelby, I&#39;ve only ever done yoga at home. Probably more Hatha style than anything. It is quite strengthening. So I get what you&#39;re saying. I always wanted to at least try Bikram, but ironically, not really as a yoga experience - like you said, as a heated stretching class. Don&#39;t know if I&#39;d like it, or if it just sounds good. Someday I&#39;ll try it just for kicks, but now I can&#39;t afford to pay for any yoga.

Comment

avocado,your practice sounds really good and yeah, stretch in a hot room is about right.
                          [quote]

That is soooo cool that you did a workshop w/ David--he is AMAZING! I love watching the opening/demo and seeing everything he does on the first series dvd, and use the demo to show folks who tell me "oh yeah, yoga looks like a great way to relax and stretch, but is not really a workout." You cannot watch the demo w/out being amazed at his strength, control, precision, balance and flexibility (at least I can&#39;t!). He makes it all look so easy, which is a sign of seriously amazing skill. (I go crazy when folks tell me yoga isn&#39;t really working out--for me, sun salutes are the ONLY reason I can do a burpee. Yoga has GREATLY helped me build strength/muscle...) Watching that demo makes me want to get the 2nd and 3rd series dvd(s?)...They look so cool, but I&#39;ve read they are more for just watching, not doing. (Although I utilize poses from all 3 series when creating my own practices--I&#39;m naturally really flexible so I love 3rd series forward bends etc, but have a harder time building strength, so a blend of postures from all 3 series--most from the 1st--are quite beneficial to me.) I&#39;ve also looked into his yoga practice cards and would be interested in hearing if others found them helpful as well...
                          </blockquote>

I know it cracks me up when people say yoga isnt a workout. I took a g/f of mine to a local Jonny Kest studio for a class, she does a bit of Iyengar, and she couldnt believe how challenging it was. and she was sore after it. There is a young guy that goes, does an amazing scorpion and you can tell he is just so happy with his strength and flexibility its lovely to see.

David Swensons book &#39;The Practice&#39; is great, pretty much in flash card layout, is spiral bound, and includes the second series. I have done parts of the second series its fun just to do what you can for something different and like you said there are already accessible poses in each series. I also like Gregor Maehle&#39;s Ashtanga Practice and Philosophy. the first part breaks down each posture and shows the muscle groups effected the breathing sequences, bandhas etc, then the second part breaks down Patanjalis yoga sutras. my fantasy is to do Gregor&#39;s three year teacher training, but its in Perth, Western Australia. I wish he could come to North America but I dont believe he has any plans to.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the books--I will totally check out the Maehle book. I&#39;d be very interested in the muscle groups, breathing and bandhas info. (Not sure I&#39;m ready to dive into Patanjali again yet--seriously deep stuff for the dedicated yogi!)

I&#39;d love to see that scorpian! I&#39;ve gone to a small vinyasa flow yoga studio locally and had multiple friends come w/ me who were SHOCKED afterwards--they really thought yoga was just a relaxing kind of stretching w/ lots of breathing. I remember feeling like I got my butt kicked for a week after my first vinyasa class as well. It sure is awesome stuff!!!

Comment

Blurg. This contributions to this thread make me want to puke on my mat.

I do Bikram.

Try it. Either you will love it or you will hate it. It&#39;s just another type of yoga. It&#39;s just another type of workout. Please don&#39;t let the opinions of others keep you from trying it.

Comment

Working...
                              X