Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I gain weight if I start working out? (Female with no weight to lose)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I gain weight if I start working out? (Female with no weight to lose)

I don't really weigh myself but I'm skinnier than I've been in years and wear a size 2/4 in most clothing.

I'm active with two little kids but I currently don't workout. I attribute my weight loss to eating primally of course, breastfeeding and chasing two kids.

My problem now is I'm not extremely happy with my tone and definition. I think I'm borderline skinny-fat.

I did a Whole30 about 6 months ago. I also followed Mark's workout plan during that month. I did not lose any weight (at that point, I still had weight to lose) but I did lose some inches.

After I completed my Whole30, I ate much more liberally and stopped working out. The weight just fell off. It seemed the less I tried, the easier it was.

I'd like to workout again to shape up but I'm worried it will have a negative effect since before there seemed to be some cortisol / stress issues which is why I think I didn't lose weight.

Any advice?

Ignore weight, think about inches. Honestly, your weight is less relevant than your waist size (from an aesthetic point of view), and your being fit trumps absolute pounds/kilos.

If you are asking "will I get larger and need fat people clothes" by weightlifting? The answer is no. But if you do it seriously you may gain weight while continuing to slim down. Muscle is more dense than fat, but increased weight doesn't necessarily make you larger or more fat.

--Me

Comment

ignore numbers

you won't gain fat, you might get bloated which you will pee out in a short amount of time unless you consistently overdo it
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

I gained weight since starting Primal and CrossFit (lots of heavy lifting) about 5-6 kg, but have lost in total at least 14 cm from my waist, and all other areas have gone down. So yeah who cares about the scales. There are tons of pics around of woman doing the same as me, and being heavier but looking better in the "after" pics. Being fit and strong is more important to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by McChunky View Post
          I don't really weigh myself but I'm skinnier than I've been in years and wear a size 2/4 in most clothing.

I'm active with two little kids but I currently don't workout. I attribute my weight loss to eating primally of course, breastfeeding and chasing two kids.

My problem now is I'm not extremely happy with my tone and definition. I think I'm borderline skinny-fat.

I did a Whole30 about 6 months ago. I also followed Mark's workout plan during that month. I did not lose any weight (at that point, I still had weight to lose) but I did lose some inches.

After I completed my Whole30, I ate much more liberally and stopped working out. The weight just fell off. It seemed the less I tried, the easier it was.

I'd like to workout again to shape up but I'm worried it will have a negative effect since before there seemed to be some cortisol / stress issues which is why I think I didn't lose weight.

Any advice?
          Advice: Work out, but don't be a fanatic or lunatic about it. Enjoy it, feed yourself, and let your skinny-fat turn into lean-toned.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

you will not get fatter by working out. your tone and shape will improve, though.

Comment

Like other people said, you may gain weight but you're not going to get fatter by working out. Muscle is denser than fat and weighs more for the same volume (but you'll look a whole lot better!).
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Try it and find out.
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I dare you to try.

*anyone think this will work?*

Comment

It looks to me that you are in decent shape now and active. You already said that things got easier when you stopped doing planned workouts etc. You also mentioned stress/cortisol issues. This tells me that you were doing too much. I would suggest one brief but intense weight training session a week and some kind of sprint interval training once every 7-14 days. Other than that just walk and move a lot. Just this will greatly improve your health and fitness without burning you out.

Comment

Yes you will probably gain muscle and glycogen+water weight, and lose some inches.

I agree - work out when you feel like doing it for as long as feel like doing it. i.e. don't have a set schedule. That should eliminate any associated stress.

Walking is fun.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I did a Whole30 about 6 months ago. I also followed Mark's workout plan during that month. I did not lose any weight (at that point, I still had weight to lose) but I did lose some inches

This is what counts, not weight.
                        Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Resistence training, walking, sprinting now and again, will help you gain more lean muscle mass, I've found that my pants fit tighter because my arse isnt flat anymore, not because I've gained fat. The thing about working your body is it just makes me feel so good, I feel stronger, my lungs work better, my skin looks better, my circulation is better, and as long as you are eating to support your activity level and taking adequate rest/recovery time exercise is great for stress relief, IMO. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by McChunky View Post
                            And spikes in cortisol are bad, why? I'll steal from Mr. Berkhan since he just did a great post on the topic...

Originally posted by Martin Berkhan
                            Most of you probably associate cortisol with stress and muscle catabolism, and consequently with “bad” and “avoid.” This is partly correct, but mostly erroneous.

Since “partly correct” is to blame for many of the nonsensical diet myths out there, it’s useless. People claiming that eating six times a day will stoke your metabolism, and that fasting causes starvation mode, are “partly correct” – but mostly full of shit, as I explained in “Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked.”

The context is often critical, and this is especially true in regards to cortisol - which is why I’m going to give you a very brief primer on this complex and multi-facetted hormone. There are almost as many definitions of stress as there are myths about cortisol, but in regards to the former, the one that appeals to me from a minimalist perspective is:
                            Stress can be defined as any challenge to homeostasis of an individuum that requires an adaptive response of that individuum.

Cortisol is secreted in response to a stressor, in order to help you cope with the stressor efficiently, whether that stressor is a balls-to-walls-set of 20-rep squats, or a looming deadline for an article that needs to be finished. The role of cortisol during these challenges is to boost you, not cripple you, whether the stressor is physical (e.g. exercise, injury, cold) or psychological (e.g. a complex or cognitively demanding challenge) in nature (or both*).

Thanks to increasing cortisol levels during training, we can push way past our non-stressed comfort level, and maintain an adequate rate of exertion for a longer period of time than what would have been possible otherwise, without being overtly distracted by pain, hunger and fatigue. Cortisol improves muscle and glucose metabolism, increases pain tolerance, diminishes fatigue and strengthens motivation.
                            http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Girls w/ muscle = hot
                              "Go For Broke"
                              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                              Small Kine-168/9%
                              Now- 200/8%
                              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Working...
                              X