Twelve Percent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redguy View Post
    My transformation has stalled. I've gone from "fat" to "not fat". I want to continue on to "fit". It is nice to know that's not an idealistic pipe dream.
    Yes!

Similar starting point - 6'2" 310 pounds - and I'm now on the cusp of being "not fat". Like you, it's NOT enough for me - I want to be as fit as a 40+ year old can reasonably be, without making it a full time job.

Comment

I just pushed the like button.
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Today was my 2nd measurement. I think I dropped 2 inches. I'm at 36.5 from 38.5. I'm shocked. I was expecting something like 1/4 of an inch difference. I would have been thrilled with 1/2 and inch. Two inches makes me think I did something wrong the first time, but I know I didn't. So I'll just be happy I guess.

That puts me at 21% (ish).

Comment

I'd only planned on posting here when I measure myself. But I need somewhere to put my thoughts on this process. My wife has told me that I'm "obsessed" with fitness. So I'm not going to be talking to her about it anymore. I thought I'd start putting my thoughts here instead. I'm far from obsessed. She just doesn't find health and fitness as compelling as I do.

I've been reading The Primal Blueprint. I finally got to the chapter where Mark lays out the dietary recommendations. I decided to use FitDay to see how my diet stacks up. I want to be sure that I'm eating enough. It's only been 1 1/2 days since I starting tracking it, so there's not enough data yet. I think I'll track it for 5 days and get my daily averages. I'm really not interested in tracking things long term.

I'll post here with the final numbers.

Comment

I can't wait to hear how you are doing with this. I am about to embark on a new phase myself. I went and bought the electronic fat meter on Amazon this week. I know it is not the most accurate, but if you use it at the same time of day, first thing at least you will have a reference point. I started out at 370, my goal is to make it to 15% body fat. Funny thing, that will but me at 260 lbs, still obese in CW land.
            I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
            My Journal

Comment

front.jpgphoto.jpgRedguy, I definitely think leangains-style IF will be a big help to you. I was always healthy, in shape, at a good weight, blah blah blah, but when I started the combo of PB and IF, everything dialed in for me, and quickly. Within the first three-four weeks of being primal and IFing, I hit 153lbs and about 11% BF +/- 1% (based on both an inaccurate but consistant BF scale and non-caliper measurements). I've maintained my weight more or less effortlessly since the beginning of August.

I'm 41 y.o./M/5'10/153#

I also only work out about 3 - 3.5 hours a week, maybe 4 hours on a REALLY big work-out week, but that's it (and that's total gym time, from walking in to walking out.) I do Enter the Kettlebell with a 24kg bell, the Rite of Passage program, three days a week, and a variety workout (usually on a TRX, and some jumprope) two days a week. My KB days are usually 45-50 minutes, and my TRX days are usually 25-30 minutes.

Best of luck to you!
              Last edited by Rosencrantz1; 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM. Reason: a couple of pics
              “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

That is cool Rosencrantz, I am about to bump up my kettlebell to the Rite of passage with some Viking Warrior thrown in....

My Journal
                My Journal

Comment

What size bell do you use, TorMag?
                  “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

If got, 25, 35 and 50 lb bells. I use the 50 for my swings, been using the 35 for everythign else....

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
                      ]Redguy, I definitely think leangains-style IF will be a big help to you. I was always healthy, in shape, at a good weight, blah blah blah, but when I started the combo of PB and IF, everything dialed in for me, and quickly. Within the first three-four weeks of being primal and IFing, I hit 153lbs and about 11% BF +/- 1% (based on both an inaccurate but consistant BF scale and non-caliper measurements). I've maintained my weight more or less effortlessly since the beginning of August.

I'm 41 y.o./M/5'10/153#

I also only work out about 3 - 3.5 hours a week, maybe 4 hours on a REALLY big work-out week, but that's it (and that's total gym time, from walking in to walking out.) I do Enter the Kettlebell with a 24kg bell, the Rite of Passage program, three days a week, and a variety workout (usually on a TRX, and some jumprope) two days a week. My KB days are usually 45-50 minutes, and my TRX days are usually 25-30 minutes.

Best of luck to you!
                      Thanks! That's a big encouragement.

I said I post back with my actual numbers from Fitday. So here they are.

Avg Calories: 1759
                      Avg Fat Cal: 1086 (122g)
                      Avg Carb Cal: 159 (41g)
                      Avg Prot Cal: 490 (116g)

According to the guidelines in The Primal Blueprint, I'm not getting enough carbs. I'm getting tad bit too much protein and I'm doing fine on fat. But my overall calories are too low. I'm "supposed" to be getting 2022ish calories per day. But I don't think I'm going to worry about that much.

There are two more weeks until my next measurement. We'll see if what I'm doing is still working by then.

Comment

Cool; keep us posted!

Comment

Hi Redguy,

Originally posted by Redguy View Post
                          Is it reasonable to expect to get to 12% body fat from doing PBF and fasting 16 hours every day, with a 24 hour fast about once a week?
                          Yes, absolutely reasonable.

I have been doing a PB diet since January 2nd, in conjunction with a leangains eating schedule (16 hr daily fast, with fasted training). My bodyfat has gone from 23.1% to 13.7%. I am 46 years old, 6 ft1, and started at 86kgs (currently 78.5kgs). I have a journal going if you want to see my monthly progress and photos.
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47861.html

I whole heartedly recommend the leangains system as well as PB. As far as the BCAA's go, I just have a large scoop of WPC and water just before training and the end of the 16 hour fast and it seems to work out for me. Leangains does involve pretty serious weight workouts though.

Good luck,

Neil
                          Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
                          86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
                          Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
                          Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
                          Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

Comment

Thanks Neil.

I checked out your journal. It looks like your starting point and goals are similar to mine. You're doing great! I can't do a gym so I'm doing SimpleFit at home. I'm definitely seeing fitness results. In the last 4 weeks I've gone from barely being able to do 3 pullups to being able to easily do 6. I'm pretty excited by the changes.

Even still, my overall exercise intensity has diminished somewhat, with an increase in the amount of move-slowly stuff. I've had the most significant gains since I started PBF in September of last year. It's possible that I was over-tired and my muscles are recovering, giving me a quick increase in strength.

Comment

It's obviously been MONTHS since I've posted here. My shocking 2in loss in the first month did not hold. Right now my waist circumference is back at 38.5 inches.

I've been trying to assess where I went wrong. I'm still not sure I've got it nailed. Here's my best guess.

1. It was not a good idea for me to start tracking my calories on FitDay. I was eating a lot fewer calories than I thought and it gave me license to start eating more. This led to over eating.
                              2. I developed plantar fasciitis in both feet and had to stop sprinting. I'm getting close to being able to do it again, however.
                              3. My baby was born prematurely and we spend a lot of time in the ICU. He's doing great now though.

I've been back on the wagon now for a few months however and I have not had much movement. I'm actually having some problems. I have nagging hunger and low energy. I have a theory as to why this is. I think I'm not eating enough fat as a percentage of total calories. I plan to increase my fats while reducing my proteins. I think I eat a sizable hunk of meat just about every day. I'm going to try to eat 1/2 a sizable chunk of meat. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Sounds like a stressful period. Glad to hear your kid is doing great though! Stuff like that will really help put a few vanity pounds in perspective.

Far as your plan goes I wouldn't worry about the huge chunk of meat and protein. Just be sure the meat is well marbled . Protein is highly satiating and helps keep overall calories down. It is also necessary to eat high protein while losing weight if your goal is to retain lean mass. Marks recs of .7-1b/lb of lean mass is fine.

If I were you and recovering as you are I might consider completely nixing the sprints for a period. Do your lifting/PB fitness routine 2-3x/week and make certain to get in 3+ hours of low and slow every week working in the 55-75 zone.

New baby and all is probably enough stress. You don't need to ramp it up with too much high intensity stuff too frequently right now IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X