Eating enough after weightlifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    I'm of the mind to agree to disagree; however, I would like to know what machines are helpful to what sport.
    Baseball players use machines for their game
    MMA fighters use machines for ground punching

and I'm sure there a lot of others. Not hard to figure this out, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
      I resent this comment about all adult women lifting pink dumbbells. In my gym there are quite a few of ladies who train heavy. And plenty of guys who train stupid (particularly teens). In all honesty though, I don't want more women to get clued in, because I have enough hard time competing with the guys for the squatting rack and stuff, and since there are more women in the world than men... more competition, grr.

Honestly, women will do anything they are advised to get in shape. Too bad that the advice is rotten most of the time. They tell us to run 5 days a week, we run five days a week; they tell us to wave pink dumbbells while doing burpees in pursuit of tone, so we bootcamp daily till we drop; they tell us to lift heavy, we squat over body weight until we drop on our still fat bums with a resounding thud. Hopeless.
      I didn't mean you. I was only referring the the women who I see at the gym I sometimes go to. A few of them really do use pink dumbells. Mostly they occupy the stationary bikes and nothing else. I am sure they would benefit from deadlifts too. In fact, I have never seen anyone other than me do deadlifts there at all, man or woman. I just find it odd that adult women attending the same gym as me gravitate towards things my slightly-built three yr old daughter can do.

Comment

I use to get this alot!!

In hindsight i realise i was overtraining and overeating and not resting enough.

Sounds like to me your on a sugar roundabout and you need to get of it.
        Last edited by gotsometoloose; 04-18-2012, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotsometoloose View Post
          I use to get this alot!!

In hindsight i realise i was overtraining and overeating and not resting enough.

Sounds like to me your on a sugar roundabout and you need to get of it.
          But I am going to the gym no more than once a week, and resting for three days afterwards (because I felt I needed to, not any deliberate plan).

I went on a 25 mile bike ride yesterday. Now that was too much, and I hurt my knee. So I won't be going to the gym tomorrow, but on Saturday, so it will be exactly a week since my last visit. I don't think that is too often.

I am not normally on the sugar roundabout. But I seem to need it after a lifting session. Not so after a long bike ride - today I am not eating carbs/sugar at all, except what's in a mozzarella. Otherwise just meat. (Just because that's what I feel like.)

I will make sure I am not tired before I go back to the gym. I don't feel like it when I am tired.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
            I am on a leangains program as well and I am seeing great success and strength gains. However, my schedule does not allow me to work out fasted, unless I hit the gym at 5:30-6am daily. At this point I am forced to train fasted on the weekends only but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Are you low carbing on your lifting days as well?
            Then get up earlier and do your workout in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by billp View Post
              I didn't mean you. I was only referring the the women who I see at the gym I sometimes go to. A few of them really do use pink dumbells. Mostly they occupy the stationary bikes and nothing else. I am sure they would benefit from deadlifts too. In fact, I have never seen anyone other than me do deadlifts there at all, man or woman. I just find it odd that adult women attending the same gym as me gravitate towards things my slightly-built three yr old daughter can do.
              That is so true!!! I almost laugh at the complete and utter lack of any intensity I see at the gym from both men and women!! I don't laugh because it really is sad. If you are lifting and you can easily lift that weight really fast and talk to your friends while doing it,YOU ARE NOT training!!! PERIOD!! You are getting absolutely zero from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post

I resent this comment about all adult women lifting pink dumbbells. In my gym there are quite a few of ladies who train heavy. And plenty of guys who train stupid (particularly teens). In all honesty though, I don't want more women to get clued in, because I have enough hard time competing with the guys for the squatting rack and stuff, and since there are more women in the world than men... more competition, grr.
                you should resent that comment. it drives me nuts to see women training like that. i shudder to even call that "training." my comment was directed at billp who stated that he "can't get dehydrated during his time in the gym," and that he" doesn't seem to need warmups anymore." basically, i was suggesting that his training was about as intense as someone who would be using pink dumbells.

Comment

Originally posted by Dailytribal View Post

really? funny... i've never seen any of that stuff

Comment

There is nothing wrong with machines for building strength and muscle mass! They are a tool just like barbells and dumbbells. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I too used to rail on about how machines were crap etc. etc. That thinking is just plain short sighted. I use both in my workouts and the results speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Dailytribal View Post
                      That's all that pitchers and MMA fighters use? Wow, I would have thought actually pitching and punching would help them out a lot more. I should get one of these pitching machines, I would love to play in the big leagues.
                      If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                        my comment was directed at billp who stated that he "can't get dehydrated during his time in the gym," and that he" doesn't seem to need warmups anymore." basically, i was suggesting that his training was about as intense as someone who would be using pink dumbells.
                        LOL. I missed that. Nah, its pretty intense. I am lifting the absolute maximum I can lift, give or take a few pounds while I work out that the bar is too heavy for me to get it off the ground, or that I can add a few pounds and still get it up. In that hour though I am not doing that many lifts. I am spending at a good five minutes between each one while I recover. I don't know how many total - 6? I am stopping because I am tired and my maximum lift is dropping off. I break out a sweat but I am hardly dripping in that time. I don't honestly believe it is possible to get thirsty in that time, in an air-conditioned gym. I either walk there or ride there on my pedal bike, so I expect that has something of a warming up effect. Maybe if you walk a lot or ride a pedal bike you are always a bit warmed up.

I started a thread before about not needing to warm up: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46974.html
                        I am not convinced than you need to warm up at all. In the morning I get on my bike and ride five minutes as fast as possible to the station, and fifteen minutes the other end. I don't warm up before that, but I am warmed up after.
                        Last edited by billp; 04-18-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

do what you will...but from what you're saying, i'm noticing 3 things. 1: not adequately warming up/cooling down is a surefire way to get injured. plain and simple fact. see my earlier post. 2: it is possible to become dehydrated in a short period of time, particularly during intense exercise. by the time you "feel" thirsty, it past the time to drink. unless of course, you have already taken down a gallon during the day prior to your workout . and 3: your workouts aren't really that intense. 5-6 minutes between sets is at the upper limits of what powerlifters would even be doing while working at 2rm or 1rm. so unless you're doing doubles or singles, you are resting too long between sets. and if you are doing double or singles without adequate warmup (those lifters often do a full body warmup, then at least 10 sets working up to the 2rm/1rm as a warmup) you are definitely asking for an injury

Comment

dude.. warm up. warm up thoroughly. you'll get the most out of your workout, and not only will you be prepping your CNS for the intensity of an actual workout, but you'll be helping prevent muscle/ligament/and tendon injuries. same goes for cool downs. cool down thoroughly and stretch. take it from someone with 20+ years experience with this stuff, both as a competitive athlete and as a trainer. you'll be doing yourself a favor
                            So, from what you said later, I realise that probably I am warming up already just by walking or biking to the gym, and I am cooling down by biking back. Then by playing with the kids right after I get back I am probably stretching a bit. I bet if I did a couple of stretches in the gym right before I walked home that would be enough. I think I do that already just because I want to, without thinking about it.

Comment

do what you will...but from what you're saying, i'm noticing 3 things. 1: not adequately warming up/cooling down is a surefire way to get injured. plain and simple fact. see my earlier post. 2: it is possible to become dehydrated in a short period of time, particularly during intense exercise. by the time you "feel" thirsty, it past the time to drink. unless of course, you have already taken down a gallon during the day prior to your workout . and 3: your workouts aren't really that intense. 5-6 minutes between sets is at the upper limits of what powerlifters would even be doing while working at 2rm or 1rm. so unless you're doing doubles or singles, you are resting too long between sets. and if you are doing double or singles without adequate warmup (those lifters often do a full body warmup, then at least 10 sets working up to the 2rm/1rm as a warmup) you are definitely asking for an injury
                              Yeah, from thinking about it, I have sort of concluded I am warming up/cooling down by accident rather than design, just from walking or biking there and back.

I am only trying to beat my maximum previous lift. I am not going there with the intention of exercising myself into bucket loads of sweat. I am influenced by what Nassim Taleb said about this:

"Rather than get lessons, I watched and tried to imitate the workout of a trainer who moonlighted as security person and looked the part. The exercise got me into a naturalistic form of weightlifting, and one that is in accordance with the evidence-based literature. This consisted in short episodes in the gym in which I focused solely on my past maximum lift, the heaviest weight I could haul, sort of the high watermark; the workout consisted in trying to exceed it once or twice, rather than spending time on time-consuming repetitions. The rest of the time was spent resting and, splurging on mafia-sized steaks. I have been trying to push my limit for four years now; it is amazing to watch how something in my biology anticipates a higher level than the past maximum —until it reaches its ceiling. When I deadlift (i.e., mimic lifting a stone to waist level) using a bar with three hundred and twenty pounds, then rest, I can safely expect that I will build a certain amount of additional strength as my body predicts that the next time I may need to lift three hundred and twenty-five pounds."
                              ---So it really isn't intense like long distance running is intense. This was why I was so surprised to find myself so much hungrier afterwards than after running or a long bike ride. I think this is because the deadlifts are better exercise and I was wasting my time with all that bike riding.

I hear you about the resting time between lift. I think it is because I am just starting out and am quite out of condition. If I could have shorter rests between lifts I would, but I am so tired each time I just have to sit down and pant for a bit and gather my strength.

Comment

Originally posted by billp View Post
                                Yeah, from thinking about it, I have sort of concluded I am warming up/cooling down by accident rather than design, just from walking or biking there and back.

I am only trying to beat my maximum previous lift. I am not going there with the intention of exercising myself into bucket loads of sweat. I am influenced by what Nassim Taleb said about this:

---So it really isn't intense like long distance running is intense. This was why I was so surprised to find myself so much hungrier afterwards than after running or a long bike ride. I think this is because the deadlifts are better exercise and I was wasting my time with all that bike riding.

I hear you about the resting time between lift. I think it is because I am just starting out and am quite out of condition. If I could have shorter rests between lifts I would, but I am so tired each time I just have to sit down and pant for a bit and gather my strength.
                                trying to beat your previous lift how? like heavier weight? more reps? what rep range are you working in? what exercises are you doing?

Comment

Working...
                                X